TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a long night with friends i was heading home at around 5 Am on a friday night goin west bound rt 66 to my house.. totaly sober.. havent had anything to drink all damn week. so anyways im goin at around 140MPH when then i slowed down to about 100 to 110MPH when i heard a loud pop.. this was a wierd loud and soft.. didnt shake my nuts cuz i thought it was a backfire through my intake.. but this was differnt.. 2 seconds later the whole bike jerked sideway over two lanes of traffic to the left then did the same thing to the right while violently shakin.. at this time i didnt know what to do so i stayed on the throughtle.. there was a bit of a tank slap somewhere in this wholoe mess.. so i had experiences a blowout and lived to enjoy another day. and my bike lived as well.. i think me stayin on the throutle saved it but i donno.. the scariest 5 seconds of my life.. i almost wet my pants.. i just thought id share my experience with you guys.. it can happen to anyone.. be safe. btw it was my rear not the front .. thank god

Ash

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh Front or rear?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh skiped over that some how:blush

I've had the rear go flat several times (seems every time I put on a new rear tire I pick up a nail or screw shortly there after:banghead). Never going that fast though but never had any drama at normal highway speed. Mine have not blown out, just gone flat. I think to get a MC tire to blow out you'd have to go fast for a long time with it really low on air:scared Every time the bike just got a bit weird feeling and wondered a bit, I slowed down and limped my way to the next exit or place of possible repair. I usually carry a plug kit and pump for such times.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
140 at 5 am? Didn't you just get a reckless ticket for lane splitting?

how many time HAVE you had your license revoked?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Glad you made another post Ash :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Very lucky, being able to get the bike stopped without further incident. Like living on the wild side don't you?
Did you find the cause? Debris?

I once had a blowout on my CBR900RR while on a bridge in NYC. I ran over a piece of debris left over from a recent vehicle accident, turned out to be a thick/sharp piece of directional lens plastic. I was doing about 50, saw debris all over the roadway, tried to avoid the worst of it, then I heard the "POP" sound from my rear tire. Just like your incident, the bike began to handle poorly but I made it to my office in time to avoid needing a tow.

Gotta watch the speeding on public streets kid, one of these days your throttle hand will write a check your ass can't cash.

be safe
Ken

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Ash u need to slow down!! u live in northern Va ur just asking for trouble..glad u made it ok..dont be the next member on here to lose his life like lumi did :(

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
so why exactly do biker's have bad reps? :O

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
so why exactly do biker's have bad reps? :O
Because car drivers believe it's their right to drive around & pretend that they're the only vehicle in the universe so there wont ever be anything weird or surprising happen on a public road.

Ban cars I say!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Because car drivers believe it's their right to drive around & pretend that they're the only vehicle in the universe so there wont ever be anything weird or surprising happen on a public road.

Ban cars I say!

Must be where you live. I've never had a serious problem with a car.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
FACT- 85% of tire blowouts are from underinflated tires...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont think mine was underinflated.. i put 32~ cold in it couple of days before the incedent..i looked for a possible nail or something and i couldnt find any.but the good thing is that my rim is untouched(i gotta do another inspection once i get it the tires put on. u guys are right i should slow down, i keep saying im lucky but my luck will run out someday and it will suck.

Ash

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
For street riding especially at 140 I would say 32 psi is low.. Personal opionion only

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My guess would be that you picked up a nail or something which caused your pressure to slowly go down, then the tire got so hot it blew out on you. The trick is to notice when its going low and slow down, but its not always easy to do.

BTW I run 42psi in the rear for street riding, tires last a lot longer that way.

Your tire wasn't really really worn out to start with was it?

I think Metz had some issues with tires (M1's IIRC) comming apart a couple years ago too......

good luck

·
Registered
871 Posts
Man, First off you are one lucky prick!!!!!!!!! Second did you really need to go that fast for any reason!? Bottom line - slow down and glad your came out of the blowout safe and unharmed!:rant

1 - 20 of 27 Posts