TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could post step-by step how to bleed the rear break on my TLS,I've never bled breaks before and i don't wanna mess anything up,Thanks for the help.:)

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I still do it the old way but you can get fancy bleeder's.

For the rear caliper..... 8mm ring spanner (long is good) ..a piece of tube with a round a 3mm - 1/8 inch bore,clear tube if possible... a coke/pop/soda/fizzy drink can is ghetto enough for me :laugh

Don't forget there are two bleed nipples on the rear caliper (inner/outer) ..fit the ring spanner and hose to the nipple with its end in the can with an inch or so of brake fluid so its end is covered.
Then it is simply (if you are bleeding an in use system verses dry) remove the top and bellows off the reservoir.... push the pedal down until it goes hard then slowly open the bleed nipple so the pedal travels on,stop,close the nipple,pedal up and repeat......once the hose is full of fluid you can leave the nipple open and pump the pedal topping up the reservoir as needed.If you are doing a dry system it may take a little time to get started but shutting the nipple each time the pedal is down gets the air out quicker...You can then swap the hose to the inside nipple to bleed the inner caliper piston..back out to the outer and you should be done,for the Deluxe treatment you can go to the nipple open close as in the beginning to finish.......perhaps 10 minutes...Don't forget to refit the rubber caps.
Once done you can spin the wheel braking it to a stop.Check the brake pads by wriggling them to see if they both are retracting the same.If one is looser then the other it can be a sign of a piston with excess crap on the piston...Its the little $hit to look out for to get sweet running...imho

W

·
0 Posts
Don't forget there are two bleed nipples on the rear caliper (inner/outer)
i forgot that a few months ago...spent about one hour trying to bleed the caliper before i realised it ...:banghead :laugh

perfect explanation by les once again :thumbup

FWIW i prefer the manual method also, only takes me 15 minutes at the most for the front brake system (from completely empty) :)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
:stupid X 2

my xr630. ive got russell speed bleaders & i still do it the old way :)
it takes bugger all time. also i make it a six month routine.

pump , hold down , crack , tighten just keep repeating untill no air bubbles come out the bleader.

*just dont let the brake res run out or you'll allow air back in the line & dont release the brake untill the bleader is tightened up for the same reason.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,I got the brakes done today,And i'll definetly be looking into a mightyvac.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,i have to go back and bleed the brakes again,I forgot that there's 2 bleeder screws on the back brake:banghead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts