TLZone Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I bought the bike a month ago for $800. Was told she ran a year ago then was parked. Guy said all I needed to do was put in a new battery and fluids and she was ready. Well, that was pretty much the case. After some cleaning of course. When I got her home filled her with new fluids, I put in the best battery I had and got her to turn on. Awesome. Went to put gas in her and it leaked all over the place. Bought a new fuel pump gasket and was sent the one for the TLS so I sealed the crap out of it with black gasket maker. Not a drop since. Got the gas to stay in the tank and tried too fire her up but nothing. Changed the spark plugs to the E3s and saw a spark that night. The next day tried to turn her over. No FI codes or anything but still nothin. Wouldn't even try. So just in case I bypassed the kickstand switch, clutch switch and charger the battery and still nothing. So I cleaned the fuel injectors twice and she started. The only thing is she sounds like a Harley and she would backfire and throw flames randomly and hickup through the carb and did feel like the acceleration should be faster. I could never get that perfect idle. It was either 2200 RPM of 1000 RPM. Nowh I've done PAIR and it's way worse. Can someone send me the diagram that showed where all the I b tf

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Ok. Best thing you can do it get it base-lined back to as close to standard as possible. Starting from a known point at least gives you some chance of finding a direction in which to move.

Guessing is always a bad thing in these cases but I'm going to have a go anyway. I reckon that the Yoshi cans were fitted. It ran like crap afterwards and to try to fix it the fueling was over-compensated. If you were to take this bike to someone who knows their stuff and has the kit they will tell you it is just dumping gas into the cylinders. If we ignore other possibilities like knackered valve stem seals contributing to the carbon build-up (and maybe the exploding injectors) it needs to be drinking much less gas than it is currently being fed.

I'm basing this on personal experience. When I got my tiller it had some very nice (as in thunderous) carbon cans on it. It ran fine but did about 3mpg. When some nasty little $%&$$&^$^ ran me down at a stop light and smashed the cans I put the originals back on and the bike almost wouldn't run. A bit of time on a dyno with a yosh box in the hands of a man who can and its all sorted. Now it does nearly 15mpg.

I don't think there is any easy quick fix for your bike. I'd suggest tearing it down, cleaning up the internals, stick it back together paying close attention to the state of the injectors, air box, the vac lines, filters and so on. May be worth checking the state of the packing in those cans too if there is any.

It may be a lot of work for an $800 bike but you will be rewarded at the end of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well it looks like I have a whole new set of issues. Sorry it's been so long since I responded. It seems if I want to ride my TLR I have to spend at least 2 hours before I ride just to get it to start. But this one is completely baffling me. So I actually had her running pretty well. I adjusted the TPS and I put in the proper plugs. I used some NKG CR8KE or something like that. I know they were the hot plugs because in the manually it said to use the 9s and then pull them and see what they look like and mine have all come out extremely black. Even those did when I pulled them but she seemed to run okay. I still had the backfire through the tail pipe but nothing abnormal and an occasional gasp through the carbs but it was better then before and I finally got a steady idle plus she was starting on her own finally. Then yesterday I was at my buddies and I tried to adjust the carbs or at least see if they were out of sync. They seemed just fine. I did adjust the screw a little to even then out a bit. When I put her back together it seems that I am getting no fuel to the plugs or no spark from the plugs. I pulled those plugs and they were black black so I cleaned them and my buddy and I went through the entire vacuum system, fuel system and tank and cleaned it all up. We were finally able to get her to run by spraying carb cleaner in her but the exhaust got so hot it started to melt my fairing. We were finally able to get her started on her own. She didn't seem to jutter anymore which was one of the biggest and most annoying issues. It was very light juttering, one gasp through carb, a few pops out of exhaust. Not much black smoke, but was having issues with her wanting to die at idle. It was either 2500 rpms or higher and any lower and she would die if I didn't keep the throttle up. I got her home and this morning I went to start her and she isn't even trying to start. I smell gas which is normal when my fuel pump kicked on. Just a faint smell but just cranks not even a little fire. I pulled the plugs and they seemed just fine even after the 20 minute highway ride home which would have left the other plugs black. The plugs didn't look wet at all either so I figure it's a fuel issue so I put the plug back in and spray some carb cleaner through her and nothing. Not even a little fire. So now it's a possible job spark, no fuel issue. I am seriously trying to avoid having to take the engine out. Not that I can't I just really don't want to have to do that. When she runs she runs great other than a few issues. I'm just exhausted with it all. I love the bike but I'm not sure the small amount of riding is worth the hours and hours I spend trying to go on that ride. I'm still not giving up just yet though. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would double check you TB adjustments. If you were turning one of the screws, that could put it all out of whack again. I don't know if you saw this page or not, but it might be worth a look as far as the adjustment goes, Steve's TL1000S pages

21 - 24 of 24 Posts