TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (father gave me a hand) installed the Bitubo rear shock this morning. I finally got rid of the rotary damper that has plagued the TLR's performance. The install was pretty easy. Install time was just over two hours from start to finish. We had to jack it up on jack stands using rebar through the swingarm pivot and suspend it from a ceiling anchor. I only had to remove the seat, heal guards, the resevoir, and raise the tank. It went in really nice but we broke three (yes, 3) socket extensions trying to get stock rotary damper bolt off one of the brackets. The damm thing was lock tighted and a bit rusted within. It wouldn't budge and three extensions cracked from the amount of pressue being applied. Finally busted out the impact wrench and that busted it loose....barely. The shock went in nice and it was great to lose the 10+ pounds by removing the rotary damper and OEM shock.

After completing the install and cleaning up I set out for the first ride and went out to the twisties. I can say that I am so extremely pleased with the performance of this shock. Like other TLR owners have said, the difference is like night and day. This shock is smooth as hell and rides like a Cadillac. The shock responds instantly and stays planted and stable in the corners and across bumpy surfaces. It's such an improvement that it'll actually take some getting used to. I found myself more trusting and comfortable railing with the Bitubo more then with the rotary damper. I'm very please with Bitubo and would recommend them to anyone considering suspension upgrades. It performs great and costs half of what Ohlins and Penske charge for their products.

Here's a few pics of it installed. I installed the remote slightly angled to make ease of reach.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks good man...glad your pleased with it... :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well worth the wait!! :) :hail

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
How much did it cost, and where did you get it?

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Looks good. If I didn't already have the Ohlins, that's the route I'd go.
Glad you're pleased with it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yea, I had the same prolems removing my stock rotary damper, busted just one socket though.

Put the Ohlins in and WOW, what a difference

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
Cool :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can't wait to try mine out.
:devious

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jason,

I had the same results!! Cadillac smooth ride and great performance when the pace it picked up!!

T

·
0 Posts
Just got mine installed yesterday. Talk about a gap, once you get rid of the boat anchor rotary mechanism. Just waiting on my wheels now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Gotta love it! :) I thought the bike felt a lot more planted and firm going through some corners. But then again, I haven't ridden in 6 months so it could just be me. :O Still, well worth the wait and I can't wait to experiment more with the settings. :thumbup to Rob (origin8or) at 2wheeljunkie.com

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Just don't muller the preload collar with the adjuster bar - 'cos it's made outta monkey metal! :no crap quality and poor depth allow the adjuster to break lose and round off teh edges if you are not 100% perfect with the fit.
I have an "S" and it's real hard to get a good point to leverage the collar around and the result is - I could do with a s/s replacement collar! :yes

Oh and a higher spring rate for my fat ass!

Other than that (almost everything) it's a great shock set up.
:rolleyes

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Whats up with bringing back a two year old topic. :confused

1 - 20 of 21 Posts