TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

hoping for a bit of insight from the TL gurus. It's been in the works for a while now, but I'm headed to the US for work, on a pretty permanent basis. I asked a few others on the board how can I get the TL across, and sussed out all the options. It's now down to finding a frame, and doing a frame-swap. I'm thinking I'll get a frame shipped over here, swap it over and then work will ship the whole thing to the US for me.

But is this a big deal to do? My brother-in-law and I (neither are mechanics) are happy to give things a shot. Between us we're got a two sheds full of tools, the TL workshop manual, and a fridge of beer once done.

I haven't got a bike stand (but good excuse to get one), but is there anything else that is an absolute must for this job (ie. bike specific tools)? And how long would you expect it to take? The most complicated thing I've done on it so far has been replacing the chain/sprockets (borrowed a mates rear stand, before you ask).

Just hoping to get some advice before committing ourselves completely. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
You could do the swap over a weekend but if done over a few days,even four that would give time to check various things out as you went.
If you were going to go to the trouble to rip the rearend out,why not strip and regrease the linkages while there (If not done already) and so on.
If everything is good then you have the other option once the engine is in to replace the front and rear ends as complete units.

All you need is a clear work area and a space to lay out parts as you go.As long as you follow the manual with back up from TLZone it should be no problems...A piece or unit at a time is easier than looking at it as a complete bike.

I guess you have already gone over the sell,buy another in the US given the strong Australian Dollar and the lower US TL prices.
I though the US had 17 digit VIN's the same as Downunder.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Hmmm, I say give it a shot yourself ... but would you have someone on hand just in case you **** it up? :O

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

We're just tossing up the sell now, buy later vs. frame swap. I've poured a lot into the TL so it will be hard to sell, hence the question. The 17 digit VIN is al good, but apparently the killer is to have a US spec stamp on the frame, rather than our Oz spec (ie. same frame, different badges).

And Ruby, I do have some in case all goes wrong....you guys! Just watch out for the new topic titled "Oh shit, was the hell do I do now?"

Still mulling it over, but thanks for the comments, more welcome of course.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just think, if you bought a new TL in the States, then you have a fresh canvas to put a lot more time into (and money:laugh)

·
Premium Member
29,860 Posts
Sell the TL here and you'll be able to buy 3 of them over there with the money.

It's a bastard converting them from right hand to left hand drive :crazy

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If it were me I'd probably strip all the special bits off your AU TL, bring them with you and buy a TL in the states. You can get nice TLR for <$5k and a nice TLS for <$4k, often a lot under in both cases. Bring all your mods with you and slap them on:thumbup

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ive got a budy whos selling his 97 tls in the spring asking price is 4k
he picked up a 03 Aprilia Tuono. & is offing his tl.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
I'm with BP, bring the good parts with you and install them on another bike. The dollar is has taken a beating of late and you'll probably come out way ahead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems all of you are in agreement with my head. Take all the goodies, and get a new one over there. It's just that my heart is going down fighting, and wants me to explore all alternatives.
So its not official yet, but I'm thinking a TLS could be up for sale soon.

Thanks for all the opinions.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
...the only other country's bikes that will "walk into" the USA without much trouble is CN (Canadaian models) as they comply with all USA DOT/EPA spec's execpt CA (California)....don't waste your time with a frame swap... strip the good bits and buy one when you get to the USA...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.