TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thought some of you might be interested

photobucket srank it down so it might no be readable, I will try and upload through a different service

W

·
0 Posts
oooh bigger please so i can read :)

you can mail it to me, i could host it for you... demanjan at hotmail :thumbup

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Please forgive any typos :)

Rare, exotic, expensive and brilliant
We like it because....
It played to Bimota's strengths
Bimota made their name in the era when the Japanese had learnt how to build engines but hadn't got the hang of putting them in bikes that handled. They took those engines, bolted them into gorgeous stiff frames with top-spec suspension and brakes and wrapped them up in sexy bodywork. It made for some truly memorable bikes.
But by the late 90's Japanese bikes handled and Bimota's attempts to do better usually resulted in something slower than standard. Then along came the Suzuki's TL1000S - a great engine that begged a great chassis - a Bimota chassis. The best Bimota for years.

Too much is never enough.
The TL motor made way more power than the 916 of the same vintage - but that didn't stop Bimota sticking on their own fuel injection with bucket-like 59mm throttle bodies and a surprisingly effective ram-air system. It only made a couple of bhp over the TL - but gave it an even fatter midrange and shifted peak power further up the scale.
Only the best would do for the running gear from the way-over-the-top 46mm Paioli forks and Ohlins shock, to the top-spec Brembo Goldline brakes and the Marchesini wheels. Mouthwatering.

It looks fantastic
In the late 90's there were no sexier bikes on the road. This was a time carbon fibre was still as precious as gold and the SB8R was exotic enough to draw crowds anywhere it went. Seven years on it still impresses - carbon/aluminum composite frames and GP-style self-supporting rear units rock our world too.
Sitting on one is an occasion. Nose between those two huge air ducts and contemplate the carved from solid top yoke, complete with trademark Bimota choke/fast idle know through the steering stem. Every detail exudes class.

It loves you to go fast.
The faster you go and the further you lean it, the better it works. Pussyfoot around and you'll complain about the rock hard ride, the twitchy steering, the rattly bodywork and the radical riding position. But ride it hard and all of that doesn't matter. It has the potential to be a seriously rapid road bike - one of these lapped the TT in 1999 at 117.5mph straight out of the box.

The special editions that make us drool.
How about the SB8RS Full carbon bodywork made them so exquisite it hurt. Only 150 built and each came with a matching carbon fibre helmet.
Then there's the Gobert replica. Built to celebrate Anthoney Gobert's ballsy victory in the wet at Phillip Island WSB in 2000 but only now making it into production. Visually similar to the 1999 bike, it boasts a complex computer-controlled variable-position injection system. Yours for ₤21,348. And if that's not enough, you could go for the new Santamonica version - basically a Gobert-rep with even posher suspension, radial brakes and OZ wheels at an eye-watering ₤25,159 .

We don't like....
The standard set-up
There wasn't one. Some say the assembly workers just did what they felt like on the day. With myriad potential adjustments (including adjustable steering geometry) all set any old how, some worked some didn't. And a lot came with poorly set up fuel injection which demanded careful balancing and a new engine management map.

The scarcity of spares.
The Suzuki motor means engine items aren't a problem, but anything Bimota-specific can take ages - if you can get it at all. Not Bimota is back in business and bikes are being built, it is getting better, but if you've been brought up with popping down to your Honda dealers and getting what you need your in for a shock. North Leicester Motorcycles (01530 263381) and the Bimota Owners Club keep UK Bimotas alive.

Trying to find one.
Very few came to the UK and owners understandably tend to keep hold of them. If you do find one, it'll probably set you back at least eight grand for a nice standard SB8R, or up to about 13 for a mint, low mileage RS. The exclusivity is worth every penny.

·
14,150 Posts
ahh well, the typing was fun. :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
ahh well, the typing was fun. :)
I looked at the pretty picture then read you post :)

P

·
0 Posts
perfect as a background picture! :)

Edit:
My new background - I cut the crap and went for the important part... :p

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm still working on getting me one :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
So how's the process going?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Trying to get a better deal and trying to convince my wife to leave the floor as it is for now and forget about the wooden floor for another year or so :banghead

·
14,150 Posts
Wood vs Carbon......carbon wins every day.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That ebay listing says the bike is a 2005, with a TLR motor. There were no 2005 TLR motors built by Suzuki. What gives?:O
I don't know. I just stumlbed across the add.

The bike is also a K model and not the R that this thread is showcasing. It's also listing power at 146hp. Maybe they took and older TLR motor, rebuilt it, placed it in an 05 model bike and the motor now has a new year model designation??

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Suzuki continued to supply Bimota with engines after they stopped making their own bikes with it ... don't forget the basic unit lives on in the DL and SV :confused

Just 'cos they stopped making the TLR didn't mean they stopped making the motors :devious

Oh, and a mate of mine has one in his shop for sale :)

http://www.italian-motorcycle.co.uk/stock_item.php?dlr_cat=1&veh_id=233

yas, he prices high, but will ALWAYS cut a deal ...... :devious

·
14,150 Posts
Wasn't Suzuki continuing to sell them crated motors even after the TL's demise? :O

*edit* Doh! Too slow!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Beautiful bikes, but they unfortunately make the new Ducati's seem affordable. I am saving for a 1098:devious

1 - 20 of 32 Posts