TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bad accident at the weekend took the life of a biker I didnt know and I have to say its got me thinking why I ride a bike and weather its time to sell up :O

RIP chap.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I think he would be disappointed to think his misfortune caused you or others to abandon something they love

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Never a good thing to see a rider's days come to an end however it happens.

I think you are right about car drivers paying less attention to the road these days. Too busy fiddling with their info-tainment, internet connected, touch screen crap in the cabin. Why have your attention drawn from the road by a phone when your car dashboard can do it for you?

I rest my case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its the quick glance at a junction not spotting the bIker with high beam on then blaming his speed. Sometimes no matter what the speed if a car pulls out from a junction were on it.
Not sure if the missus or mum putting flowers on a grass verge for me is what i want.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Touch wood, over all the years I've been riding motorcycles (40 years now) I guess I've been lucky. Only had one or 2 people that I knew killed on a bike, I have known of many more killed in cars, it wouldn't stop me doing either
I've also had more people I knew who have committed suicide. Especially back in the eighties.
Any life lost is sad but also just as sadly death is a part of living .
I have had a few accidents Iover the years but I have also ridden probably close to 400.000 miles to date. I have a car but it's mostly for the winter. It only covered 3.200 miles int he last twelve months.
I couldn't give up riding, not yet anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Foolish risk VS calculated risk..

Last year I had a car not see me...I was lucky he grazed me.

I rode this summer with refreshed 30 watts LED (fog) (XHP70) and I put a yellow film to make them stand out.
I can modulate their power on 4 settings 100% 70% 20% 5%, 100% during daytime (veery strong) or 70% dark cloudy day, and 5% during the night.
I have Other LED's inside my main headlight, but I plan on switching them out for COB LED's (ice blue).
I wanted to share these out here for some time now, but it's taking me to bloody long to do it.
(I didn't want somebody beating me to it)(maybe I should show what I know...)

My point is using standout colors is not a bad idea !

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Already done the LED thing. It helps in some ways but in others not so much. I always remember a story of a SMIDSY crash. The bike was a full-dress Goldwing with 6 headlights on. I've looked drivers in the eye as they pull out of a side road and known they aren't seeing me. Those few pounds of fatty grey mush we call a brain is a long way from precise engineering. Load pipes and bright lights help but however much we try to make things idiot-proof nature will always evolve a better idiot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Common sence has kicked in and the music machine will be moved on.
Im trying to put my self in the missus position, if it were her on the bike after seeing the funeral directors put disposable suits on to pick up the deceased I would be concerned.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Already done the LED thing. It helps in some ways but in others not so much. I always remember a story of a SMIDSY crash. The bike was a full-dress Goldwing with 6 headlights on. I've looked drivers in the eye as they pull out of a side road and known they aren't seeing me. Those few pounds of fatty grey mush we call a brain is a long way from precise engineering. Load pipes and bright lights help but however much we try to make things idiot-proof nature will always evolve a better idiot.
What colors are your led's ?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok snowblind :)

First I agree with you about close to pure white is best to illuminate down the road at night !
I myself have powerful projector HID's 5000k as my main headlight and do not want to change that.
So I'm not talking about the replacement H4 leds that are out there...
But still there is one option that might be OK and that is to get 3000k yellows,,,but only if the person is ok with that at night shinning down the road...

But what I'm talking about is extra lights that their main job is not to shine down the road but instead to try and get the attention.
Auxiliary, daytime running light, accent lights, whatever the name.
This is my main weapon;
20191015_085337.jpg
I do not use these at night on full power, only at 5% power.

I wanted to keep this to myself until I could have the pleasure of a; "look what I did moment" but I'm taking to long....
so here it is;
Next, hopefully this winter I will be replacing my small round daytime led's with these;
20191015_090017.jpg
Why these L shaped led's (besides ice blue color) ??
Because they fit so nicely, as if they were made for it;
SAM_1316.JPG
SAM_1328.JPG
Oh I forgot, also COB led's have the same intensity 180 degree wide.

So to recap;
3000k rally yellow pops out makes you stand out .
Ice blue led's also stand out and are usually more intense to the eye then their equivalent white (there is a reason blue light hurts your eyes).

So be creative, get noticed the best you can.

Some links;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Ice-Blue-L-Shape-COB-Car-LED-Light-DRL-Fog-Driving-Lamp-Waterproof-DC12V/141654447720?epid=1091135744&hash=item20fb435668:g:dhUAAOSwByFbUyQE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14cm-12V-LED-COB-Car-Auto-DRL-Driving-Daytime-Running-Lamp-Fog-Lights-Waterproof/372633657439?var=641399162140&hash=item56c2b2605f:g:kg0AAOSw8adclHcq
(14cm vs 17cm = 14cm stronger less spread out. (same watts)).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XHP50-XHP70-XHP50-2-XHP70-2-2-generation-LED-chip-6-12V-16-20mm-Copper-PCB/223122352394?var=521936334080&hash=item33f320e90a:m:mCJsm8DT7Ox_ucUIxTmsmpw
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-driver-LDR29-BUT-POWER-2-4A-Multi-Mode-2-4A-6-5V-27V-XHP70-XML/113691430331?hash=item1a78898dbb:g:6s8AAOSww85aUbqH
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Golden-Yellow-Car-Fog-Tail-Light-Headlight-Tint-Film-Vinyl-Wrap-Cover-12x24/192048206468?hash=item2cb6f71284:g:RmgAAOSw2hhcdqjp
These might be great !;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cree-LED-Auxiliary-Fog-Light-Assemblie-Safety-Driving-Lamp-For-BMW-R1200GS-ADV/232341378180?epid=1566876237&hash=item3618a01484:g:hoYAAOSwUPxdV3KC
even these can help;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-12V-Motorcycle-Rearview-Mirror-Decor-Eagle-Eye-3-LED-Conatant-Bright-Blue-L/392328486249?hash=item5b58999d69:g:7eEAAOSwJmtdHHJM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-12V-15W-Eagle-Eye-LED-Daytime-Running-DRL-Backup-Light-Car-Auto-Lamp-Ice-Blue/401922532734?epid=852199388&hash=item5d9473257e:g:5-cAAOSww9ddpbZn#rwid

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sad when people die in crashes and accidents. We as motorcyclist must always "create time". Distance to vehicle in front big enough to allows us to react, avoid and stop. Deciding of we will speed up or slow down soat we are NOT in the intersection when a car potentially will turn in front of us. Always analyzing and driving (as opposed to cardrivrrs consumed by infotainment crap, adjusting interior light from pink to purple. Shawing. Using cupholdrrs or whatever they do. We know better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is what I learned from my near miss !

The trap that is the car turning left right in front of you !

It is difficult to catch before it happens !

It feels like it falls outside of scanning ahead and making space for yourself !

When it happened to me I was traveling between 50-60kph and had already started to cross the intersection.
I had "scanned" the intersection before I got there, Zero problems, I was already scanning way in front deciding to keep the left on the 3 way lane presenting itself to me.
While I was scanning ahead, this car, like appearing out of nowhere started to quickly cut me off !
He appeared way closer then where I was looking, which was in the distance where I was going.
This caught me totally by surprise and ill-prepared has to what I should or could do in a fraction of a second !
I never saw a car from this close up going 50+, it looks pretty big and fills most of your vision.

I never saw him coming because he was not stopped at the intersection when I got there, he was part of the moving oncoming left traffic, blending in with the rest right until he started turning.

I've gotten pretty good trough the decades at scanning and instinctual predicting what drivers can potentially do.
This one was new !
And makes you think !
Am I supposed to start watching every car on the other side of the road to ???
This is impractical.
Unfortunately we have limits, it's just the way it is.
The only thing I could think of is to make sure to clear the car if I was to hit him head on, (I know because I kind of did this before !) but I tell you that even this is not as clear cut and easy to implement in this case, because your mind is racing to find the right reaction, and it's like a door closing in front of you, in a gentle curve...
He stopped, leaving just a little opening in the door, just enough for me to squeeze by.
In the end I may have made the right "choice" doing noting and staying the course.
But it still felt like a failure.
A broken footpeg, side panel, paint, exhaust, and sprained ankle.
Oh and my white HID's on high beam in his face may have stopped him at the last minute, but failed to prevent him..
That's why I'm going with yellow and ice blue....

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Unfortunately it is part of the human design that we can look but not see, or rather see but not properly register what we are seeing. Humans do not consciously multitask, however much we might like to think we do. With sufficient practice and experience we can offload some things to reflexive processing but stuff that requires focused thought is largely a serial operation. The eyes might see the bike but if the rest of the brain is considering what to have for dinner later or trying to get the kids in the back to stop fighting, the image of the large metal and plastic thing with the shiny lights all over it will just have to wait. It can even be the case that your lights, under certain conditions, actually act as camouflage. Try as we might to second-guess the actions of those around us we can never be truly predict what is going on inside those few pounds of fatty mush we call a brain.

Worse still, all the technology that is being applied to cars in the way of "driver aids" is just dumbing us down. If we don't use our faculties they atrophy and we become dependent on the machinery. Riders are already paying the price for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tolkien said "it doesn't do to leave the dragon out of your equation if he lives next door". We absolutely must be aware of anything which can turn on us and that includes oncoming traffic. Could you have seen the upcoming intersection and asked yourself, " are there any potential dangers ahead? And then decided that i will adjust my speed so that i am either before or after intersection when that car is in a position to potentially turn (assuming that cars don't turn left on spite, turning to to go straight into the woods or off road in front of you).
Constantly scanning the road and talking yourself through what happens up ahead, never falling into the death trap of being a mere passenger on your own bike.
And critically asking yourself, "what could/should i have done differently?).
I know this sounds a bit provocative, but this mindset will reduce the likelihood for you and me being added to the smashed insects on the front of a car.
Ask yourself, " what would i have done differently if i had had another 3 seconds added just the split millisecond before the impact?"
"I would have slowed down, i would have changed position, i would have accelerated"
Take control, dont be a passenger.

Same goes at red lights. You stand first in line, engine running. Now, is that car approaching from behind going to stop? Do i need to get the hell out of the way. This is no time to sit in neutral being a sitting duck. As long as you are on the bike in traffic, "you are driving". Be aware, be active. Be safe and alive.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tolkien said "it doesn't do to leave the dragon out of your equation if he lives next door". We absolutely must be aware of anything which can turn on us and that includes oncoming traffic. Could you have seen the upcoming intersection and asked yourself, " are there any potential dangers ahead? And then decided that i will adjust my speed so that i am either before or after intersection when that car is in a position to potentially turn (assuming that cars don't turn left on spite, turning to to go straight into the woods or off road in front of you).
Constantly scanning the road and talking yourself through what happens up ahead, never falling into the death trap of being a mere passenger on your own bike.
And critically asking yourself, "what could/should i have done differently?).
I know this sounds a bit provocative, but this mindset will reduce the likelihood for you and me being added to the smashed insects on the front of a car.
Ask yourself, " what would i have done differently if i had had another 3 seconds added just the split millisecond before the impact?"
"I would have slowed down, i would have changed position, i would have accelerated"
Take control, dont be a passenger.

Same goes at red lights. You stand first in line, engine running. Now, is that car approaching from behind going to stop? Do i need to get the hell out of the way. This is no time to sit in neutral being a sitting duck. As long as you are on the bike in traffic, "you are driving". Be aware, be active. Be safe and alive.
All good and well.
But I'm not trying to teach the basics or inform the beginners.
Seriously not trying to be pompous or anything..
I'm talking to those who have experience.
Those of us "drivers" who are not at sleep on the wheel, we have become efficient, in control, it has become easy, a peace of cake !
And really it is not that hard either !
But even tho I did not do anything wrong or foolish or not paying attention, some people out there drive so bad that it was not enough !
So I'm trying to tell you experienced "drivers" we have to do a little bit more a little bit extra.
Prevention trumps reactions, if the problem is not being seen, then we have to do more to be seen.
I was right in front of him, but I was invisible, I did not register in his brain cause he was looking for cars.
Because my lights (on most bikes) have a small surface area I may have registered as a distant car (maybe).
My "fog" lights a lower (same as cars ) and further apart, this helps.

Like I said; "I had "scanned" the intersection before I got there, Zero problems, I was already scanning way in front deciding to keep the left on the 3 way lane presenting itself to me."
I was halfway into the intersection already scanning past it, like you are supposed to, to be on top of what is coming !
I'm trying to warn you out there, that the CAR TURNING LEFT IN FRONT OF YOU can bypass your best preventing skills !
He can turn in front of you mere feet from you while you are busy looking ahead.
Be different, stand out, it may not work on all of them, but it may work the one time you need it.

Who is this guy ?
Why is he insisting on this so much ?
Who does he think he is ?
I'm just a guy wanting to share, some guy who had "this" experience;
12h31 02 -15-.jpg
12h31 02 -30-.jpg
So I'm talking from experience in the hope that you can avoid this experience !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Only want to share what has saved me. And still, sometimes you drive into a roundabout and the car indicating that he wants to drive out changes his mind and "closes the door" on you. Scary. Or car drivers changing lane oblivious that i am passing them in the next lane.
These things didn't happen nearly as often when i was driving my 4WD with a big bull bar up front. Car drivers dont subconciously percieve motorcycles as a threat to themselves, therefore the filter us out.
Didn't mean to sound pumpous, just to share keeping my bike brothers and sisters safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts