TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Josh passed through Colorado on his annual summer tour. As always, we had a great time off roading. I suspect Colorado is going to pick up a talented young lawyer and me a most excellent riding buddy upon graduation. I love it when a plan comes together :devious On to the pics :roost

First stop was an area I have not ridden before, but passed by on the FZ1. I did not know what to expect. The trails were easy, but it was scenic. It was a good warm up. I plan to take my kid there, she will love it!

The 2nd are was Webster Pass/Red Cone Mountain. My prior "first off road ride of the season" photo whore with my CRF230 riding buddy was taken there. The snow was gone and we were able to make it to the top, over 12,000 feet, above the tree line. The air was a bit thin up there. The scenery was intense :hail Can you spot the tiny DRZ, working it's way up the hill in the distance? What a vast place this is. The trails went on and on. We were sorry we had to turn around!

On to the appropriately named "Radical Hill". We were stopped here and a young surfer type guy in an old Land Cruiser comes up and says "Dudes, you goin' up Radical Hill? That thing is covered with baby heads". Baby heads, evidently, are gnarly rocks that are the size of a baby's head. He sounded like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It was a priceless moment :lol

But of course we went up Radical Hill. Continued :D

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On up Radical Hill we go, BP's CR250 charging hard and the baritone DRZ barking merrily in the thin cool 12,000 foot high alpine mountain air.

What goes up must come down. In this case, going down Radical Hill. It was pretty steep actually. Note the mountain goat audience. :)

On to a small cabin to investigate. A few of the goats followed us. Probably because they knew silly bike tricks come next, courtesy of Bikepilot.

Yep, it is a Colorado Tradition with Josh. Squidding it up on a rock. Very nicely done :hail

Can you spot the bull elk in the brush? Hint, he is 1 o'clock high.

All in all, another awesome ride. Two areas, one day, 80 some odd miles off road. What a gas :doug The inevitable street ride photo whore to come next...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Nice shots guys.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great write-up Craig! I can't wait to ride more of redcone:drool

W

·
0 Posts
damn...ain't that the best set of pictures ever on tlzone?

wow wow wow wow wow wow wow

:hail :hail

you rock guys, and colorado is next on my wishlist :hail :hail :thumbup :yumyum

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Great pics. Let us know when you plan to go back to the easier trails. Where was it at? Blake and I will try to join you. I'm still working on trying to get that DR350. Maybe I'll have me own dirt bike soon.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Beautiful scenery, looks like great fun! :hail

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
First stop was an area I have not ridden before, but passed by on the FZ1. I did not know what to expect. The trails were easy, but it was scenic. It was a good warm up. I plan to take my kid there, she will love it!
Sweeeet! You've found a place to take me riding! :laugh

Can you spot the tiny DRZ, working it's way up the hill in the distance?
Odd, I'd have thought you'd have to stand MUCH further back to make a DRZ appear tiny! :rotfl

What goes up must come down. In this case, going down Radical Hill. It was pretty steep actually.
DUDE! Rarely do photo's actually convey the scariness of the grade of a hill....up or down...but your picture here just made my sphincter tighten up about three notches.

Also, I can't believe in your long riding career and the many locations you've ridden that you have never heard the term "baby's heads." Heck, I knew that one straight off.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
I'm sure jellous, great trails and photo's :hail

Not the place to go alone though :coocoo:laugh

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
nice pics :hail

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let us know when you plan to go back to the easier trails. Where was it at? Blake and I will try to join you.
Attached is a map showing the locations of the day's festivities. Notice all the "white space" in both areas. No paved roads in there :roost

Pretty much all of the easy area is passable by 2WD pickup truck. It would make a nice camping getaway. The base of the hard core area is passable by 2WD pickup, but you better be packing a modified Jeep or a decent dirt bike with a suitably experienced rider if you plan on going farther. Lots of baby heads out there :laugh

At this point, I am figuring Colorado is just chock full of these rugged 4WD type trails. Especially with the advent of quads, good single track is a little harder to come by, but I am not complaining! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
awesome, bp left my place this morning after a nice pushbike sessions. great pics, lucky bastards :)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Duken,BP,
Is that one of the Trans-America trails?

Excellent pics!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm pretty sure the redcone stuff (at least the parts we road) isn't part of tha tat - most of the tat is much less technical, but I don't have the tat route.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You've gotta pay a lot for the tat route detail though I think.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
You've gotta pay a lot for the tat route detail though I think.
I am not for sure if you do or not? I overheard one of my Suzuki instructors talking about the trail and how he wants to ride one section of it, he was telling some of my class mates about it but i was busy working on a Gsx-r project so i didn't get the whole scoop.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...incredible pics:thumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts