TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I posted yesterday that my bike will not start. It will turn over but it will not fire.

I have done the Dealer Gap Mod:
My bike was reading c00....so nothing wrong.
I have checked that all the fuses and still I can't find the problem.
I pulled the plugs and they are fine (I cleaned them to make sure).
So it is my conclusion that the problem is the Fuel Pump (I don't hear it prime when I start the bike.).

So does anybody have a way to test the pump?
If I do have to get the pump replaced can the broken one be rebuilt?

And last does anybody have a Fuel Pump the are willing to part with?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If you need a fuel pump get one at your local car parts store. Ask for a fuel pump out of an '89 Dodge Caravan with the 3.0L engine. The pump should be an airtex E7012, (do not take an E7000 because it will not produce enough pressure). It looks very similar and has around the same internal relief so it will work fine. I am waiting on a filter for mine and I will have it all back together. Cost $80 versus a $400 fuel pump assembly from Suzuki.

Stock Pump

New Pump

Comparision, stock on the left, new on the right

Check the fuel pump relay before you buy a new pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel Pump Relay

How do I check the Fuel Pump Rail??????:dowhat

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fuel pump relay switch is under the seat of the tlr. Pull the relay and test it, and bridge the connection with a paper clip and try to start it (with the switch out of course).

Also do a search in the archived posts. There are pics of everything. Just search a little.
:coocoo

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,610 Posts
well the fuel pump is not whining anymore. bike is cranking but not getting fuel.
You need to verify that the fuel pump circuit is working.
Check for these voltages at the fuel pump relay connector and you'll know which way to go from there.

These are the signals or voltages that should be present at the fuel pump relay connector.

• The Orange/Blue wire should be hot (@ 12 volts) all the time - even when the key is OFF.
  • The Orange/White wire should be hot after the key is turned ON (and the kill switch is ON).
  • When the key is turned ON, the ECM will then also drive the Yellow/Blue wire low (near zero volts). This drives the relay coil and activates the FP relay - thus connecting the Orange/Blue wire to the Yellow/Red wire for about three seconds. This is what powers the fuel pump and injectors
  • You should hear the fuel pump running for those 3 seconds.
  • It should reprime the pump (for 3 seconds) after every time the start button is cycled - if the engine does not start.
  • If the engine starts, then the pump will remain ON.
If this sequence is not happening, below are some things to consider.
Corroded terminals in the FP relay connector?
Corroded terminals at the Fuel Pump itself?
Not getting sufficient current due to a bad connector on the starter relay, or a gang connector in the loom?
A Bad FP relay?
ECM not pulling the Y/B wire low?
Open Yellow/Red wire?
Bad fuel pump?
Open fuel pump fuse?

Use a voltmeter (or an ohmmeter where appropriate) to confirm the circuit components above.

The action of the fuel pump can be easily tested by connecting the FP relay connector and using a wire to short from the Orange/Blue wire to the Yellow/Red wire. The FP should start pumping.

Please report back with what you find.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
omg.
is it possible that the fuel pump relay, flasher relay, are the same relay?
No.

Have you downloaded the wiring diagram yet (along with the service manual)?

You need it.

If you have a TLR, the side stand relay and turn signal flasher are built into the same module. It is mounted below the right-hand ram air tube.

The fuel pump relay is a separate component and mounted under the rider's seat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes I’ve downloaded them. I’m all over the place with this bike. One day it’s a bad connection, next day after cleaning the connection’s, now the fp is not whining,etc. Anyway I have a 97 tls. So is the fp relay the one that says upper on the rubber holder? I did a search and keep saying that flasher and fp relay are the same thing,
Frustrating.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
...... Anyway I have a 97 tls. So is the fp relay the one that says upper on the rubber holder? ......
If I recall correctly, the only component marked with "up" on the rubber holder is the tip over sensor (TOS). This is because its functionality is sensitve to its proper orientation.

The turn signal flasher on a TLS is located behind and below the fuel tank near the battery.

The fuel pump relay and the side stand relay on a TLS are both under the right hand rear body work, mounted to the subframe - circled in the image below. The relays are identical, so determine which is which by means of the wire colors in the connectors. This is where you will need the wiring diagram.

DSCN0009 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Also I tried putting in dealer mode and always get this, or sometimes it says check and twice it gave me the number 194! Only the number.
The "194" is a mystery. Otherwise, the failure pertaining to your bike may or may not generate an error code. If it does, it may only show up when it is being cranked over. Also, remember that any error codes that are generated disappear when the key is turned off. They are not retained in any sort of memory.

The CHEC indicator will occur anytime communication is interrupted between the ECM and the instrument cluster. For example, with key ON, but kill switch OFF, the CHEC indicator will be displayed, because the kill switch cuts power to the ECM but not to the instruments.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow thank you for your time and patience dealing with me. I just want you to know that I truly appreciate everything, so thanks again.
ok so I pulled the relays from my parts bike and plugged them in and still no whining. Only the clicking. I even tried reversing the relays on both sets of relays and nothing.Dammit. Everything else seems to be holding up, she cranks well,no more fuel leaking from anywhere. Anyway so I’m guessing that I need to open up the tank again and change the fuel pump? What you think?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
..... Anyway so I’m guessing that I need to open up the tank again and change the fuel pump? What you think?
No. You are jumping to conclusions.

You need to get your multimeter and do some testing.
Specifically, measure the voltages on the wires that I outlined in Post #9 and report back with the voltages you obtained and under what conditions; key on, key off, etc.

We need to figure out if the fuel pump control circuit is working properly before you waste time opening the tank again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need to verify that the fuel pump circuit is working.
Check for these voltages at the fuel pump relay connector and you'll know which way to go from there.

These are the signals or voltages that should be present at the fuel pump relay connector.

• The Orange/Blue wire should be hot (@ 12 volts) all the time - even when the key is OFF.
  • The Orange/White wire should be hot after the key is turned ON (and the kill switch is ON).
  • When the key is turned ON, the ECM will then also drive the Yellow/Blue wire low (near zero volts). This drives the relay coil and activates the FP relay - thus connecting the Orange/Blue wire to the Yellow/Red wire for about three seconds. This is what powers the fuel pump and injectors
  • You should hear the fuel pump running for those 3 seconds.
  • It should reprime the pump (for 3 seconds) after every time the start button is cycled - if the engine does not start.
  • If the engine starts, then the pump will remain ON.
If this sequence is not happening, below are some things to consider.
Corroded terminals in the FP relay connector?
Corroded terminals at the Fuel Pump itself?
Not getting sufficient current due to a bad connector on the starter relay, or a gang connector in the loom?
A Bad FP relay?
ECM not pulling the Y/B wire low?
Open Yellow/Red wire?
Bad fuel pump?
Open fuel pump fuse?

Use a voltmeter (or an ohmmeter where appropriate) to confirm the circuit components above.

The action of the fuel pump can be easily tested by connecting the FP relay connector and using a wire to short from the Orange/Blue wire to the Yellow/Red wire. The FP should start pumping.

Please report back with what you find.
Hey six what do I set my voltmeter at?20v?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts