TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to start the bike this morning and it would not turn over. The fuel pump and lights come on. The starter motor does engage but it seems like it does not have enough power to turn the bike over. I checked the batt. and it is good. I am not sure if the relay is bad because the starter does engage. Could it be the starter motor, starter clutch or starter torque limiter? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
871 Posts
when you say the starter engauges what do you mean? are you sure that it is not the starter relay making a clicking sound, that has happend to me in the past. it turned out i had a bad relay!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter motor cranks the motor a little then stops. Fuel pump runs again then I try to start and cranks a little then stops. by this time is seem like the batt. is drained then I just hear a click and a spooling noise.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Sounds like a faulty battery to me.

When you said you checked it, how did you check it? The real test is a load test.

·
Registered
188 Posts
starting

hey

My bike did the same thing after I bought it, battery just did not have enough juice to properly get the starter cranking. It wouldn't hurt to check the starter relay connection. My was really nasty looking. Once I replaced the battery and relay. No more issues at all. Been fine for quite a while now. Plenty of juice upon start up.

Nicholas

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the batt. to the shop they charged it and did a load test said batt. was fine. I hope it is the starter relay. The relay looks in mint condition. I try to crank an it just turns over a little then a spooling noise from I think the relay. A loud wistle.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Use a jumper lead from your battery +ve terminal and put the other end directly onto your starter motor connection stud (where the existing wire is). Make sure the bike is in neutral. Then see if it cranks ok. If it behaves the same, your relay is ok.

Put a multimeter across your battery terminals while cranking too. If the voltage is dropping below 10 ~ 8 volts, it's simply your battery hasn't enough power to start the bike.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
something i would also check is CLEAN CONNECTIONS to battery and GROUND...amazing what a little oxide can do...(clean shiney metal to metal on all connections)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
something i would also check is CLEAN CONNECTIONS to battery and GROUND...amazing what a little oxide can do...(clean shiney metal to metal on all connections)

Good point :thumbup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info! I went ahead and orderd a new batt. and relay. All connections are clean so I hope this works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts