TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally put my fairings back on. It's been a month that the bikes been extra naked because I was checking shims, changed the clutch cable, etc... Anyway, I've totally missed my mirrors, I use them a lot it's been nerve wrecking w/o them because cops in Cali are sneaky and everywhere. Anyway, it's been a trip getting through Cali traffic on the freeways and stuff w/o mirrors, you can squeeze through almost anything that's barely wider than your shoulders (pratcially).

THis morning was splitting traffic and it's cracks me up that as I'm going through traffic and a normal pace (not fast) I tapped a mirror of some SUV and was thinking, the mirrors on the TLS are right at car mirror level. It's ridiculous. BUt I really missed them.

anyway, how much do you use you mirrors?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I mostly use my mirrors during group ridding looking to make sure people are behind me and that no one crashed other than that I use the turn around and look method before changing lanes

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALWAYS, turn an look when changed lanes but definately makes me feel more comfortable when I'm stopping at a light or something, Chuck is "on" that one!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
One eye in the mirror almost all the time. More when braking. Want to get a good look at who is going to run my ass over :laugh

:stupid

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
hazzards come from all angles. get some mirrors on.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
One eye in the mirror almost all the time. More when braking. Want to get a good look at who is going to run my ass over :laugh
:stupid

Saved my ass at least once! Nearly got run over by a truck cos I was stupid enough to stop for a red light :coocoo

I use 'em all the time - the cop cars don't have radar here (but they do have video cameras) & the bike filth has a button that spits of THEIR speed to a piece of paper so the only way they'll nail you is if they're following you for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
MIrrors are good

My first sportbike was a Katana '97, didn't have mirrors. The guy said "you don't need mirrors!". I rode it for a little bit, but I couldn't stand it, I bought mirrors very quickly. I have seen bikes at shops that were hit from behind while sitting at a stop light and hit from behind (a couple anyway), I use my mirrors but do turn to look all the time to make sure! Need all the help you can when street riding!
dne'

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just curious.........If someone is going to hit you from behind what are mirrors going to do? You can't posibly get out of the way that quick:O

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just curious.........If someone is going to hit you from behind what are mirrors going to do? You can't posibly get out of the way that quick:O

Actually, they aved my ass when I noticed a Jeep wasn't slowing down (55 mph zone) while I was stopped waiting for trafffic to turn left. I watched him NOT notice me and took off like a bat out of hell going straight. I would be dead if not for them.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Wanna bet?

but it really begs the question, you may or may not get out of it, but at least you know what's going on behind you and have a chance. w/o a mirror you are nothing more than a speed bump.

mirrors for longevity.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have my mirrors on and I do use them but when I stop at a light i'm usually talking to a buddy or paying attention to the light and crossing traffic not sure I know anyone who sits at a light and stares into his mirrors. So it seems a little odd to me. My 02

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I have my mirrors on and I do use them but when I stop at a light i'm usually talking to a buddy or paying attention to the light and crossing traffic not sure I know anyone who sits at a light and stares into his mirrors. So it seems a little odd to me. My 02
I think that may change with a few more years experience. I always look at the car approaching me from the rear....at a stop they really are the only concern. Once they stop I'll check out everything else.

it's not too much of an issue here in california since we can lane share to the front of every light....but bikes getting rear ended is not as uncommon as it should be. it's cheap insurance. situational awareness will keep you alive :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think that may change with a few more years experience. I always look at the car approaching me from the rear....at a stop they really are the only concern. Once they stop I'll check out everything else.

it's not too much of an issue here in california since we can lane share to the front of every light....but bikes getting rear ended is not as uncommon as it should be. it's cheap insurance. situational awareness will keep you alive :)
Maybe a few more miles too as my bike just turned over 5200 miles:)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
it's just a baby! I'm looking forward to mine hitting 50k, probably in spring since it's torn apart right now.

nice starting bike btw, I rode my 91 everywhere for 8 years...great starting bike, and great bike all around.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Exactly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FOR SURE, you always look at least until the car behind you has stopped then you take a look at everything else. I really missed them suckers though.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
A small bar end mirror could have helped you out ;)

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I lost a cheap bar end mirror last year during a ride, and your right. It sucks not having any mirrors. They are a necessity at stop lights as noted above plus I like to maintain an awareness of who/what is around while riding on city streets/ hwys. The only time they really aren't needed might be on a twisty two lane... and even then it's nice in those rare events when a bike comes up behind you and wants to pass. :D

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
When you're braking for a red light & look in the mirror to see a truck getting bigger & bigger faster than it should then you can shift lanes & get out of it way. I'd be a hood, engine case & front axel ornament on a concrete by now if I didn't have mirrors ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts