TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! After asking about this on the Facebook TL Fanatics group, I guess I could find more informations here.
I've got a 1997 TL1000S with Giannelli high cans and K&N air filter. I've got the bike in late December, my third TL. The bike spent years unused before I actually saved her from her sad life in a dirty garage.
I replaced tyres, cleaned her, fitted an LSL kit for high bars, MOT, swapped the front brake cylinder as it was dying, had the whole brakes checked and cleaned by my mechanic (a car mechanic but he's the only fair one I know in 100km!!!).
Replaced oil and filter. Replaced the clutch cover as it was leaking. The bike has 46000km.
The bike works, starts right away but it's really weak. I mean, my VTR1000 is MUCH faster. Also, I remember the TL being pretty "rude" on low RPMS with some on/off... this one is smooth but weak. Won't wheelie in first gear (on gas alone, I mean). Something's wrong.
I plan to use some additive into the fuel to clean the throttle bodies (hoping it won't react with the tank treatment the bike SHOULD have had years ago, tankerite or something like that), replace the plugs and then maybe check the TPS.

Is it possible that the TPS makes such a huge difference in performance by itself? I still haven't found the right connector for the dealer mode, I wanted to check before removing the airbox etc.
Can anybody offer his advice on this? I saved the poor bike but karma is kicking me in the nuts... spent a lot of time and money on the bike and she doesn't perform as it should. Unfortunately before buying I could only start her engine but not ride her. I know, I know... it was kinda like asking for trouble.
Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
Put in new plugs, set the TPS, balance the throttle bodies and then see what you have.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
it is possible you have a france model which is power restricted.
the inlet manifolds are half blocked and the ecu is different.
check this too

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't even run like it's 100hp... it runs like 70, maybe.
Just checked the TPS... it's fine, unfortunately. And the idle is steady at 1200rpm, a thing that according to many, says the throttle bodies don't need to be lined up.
I'm a bit sad 'cause I think there could be a major problem somewhere.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure it's stock... it's just weak, especially on low rev.
The other TL were "rude" on low rpms, with some on/off effect but plenty of grunt. This one is smooth but very weak.
The thing that puzzles me is that it works. But it's like an SV650 in the best case. My VTR buries it.
No way to power-wheelie in 1st gear! Something's wrong.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
it is possible you have a france model which is power restricted.
the inlet manifolds are half blocked and the ecu is different.
check this too
Do as Ring-In said and check the inlet manifolds and report back on the ECU. You can check them here on Steves site

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
No need for that, you should be able to see any restrictions with opened TB's too.

Like 1C says, change the plugs, easiest thing to do. I once blew them on my '97s when it ran out of fuel. Power was down a lot, went home and stuck in new ones.. straight back to running like a raging bull!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just uploaded the picture of the ECU. Weird, according to Steve's site it's australian?! I'm in Italy.
Tomorrow I'll buy the plugs for sure but the TPS is fine according to the "official" Suzuki checking method.
A former Suzuki mechanic says it should be checked with a multimeter to have 1.12v, he says the official method isn't good... I don't know what to say, I'm a complete newbie.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The Ring-in posted great info on the TPS, you should be able to find that easy to give you an idea of what to expect. But I'd do the plugs first though, one thing at the time :thumbup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll definitely replace the plugs tomorrow, yes. But such a big difference in performance (or lack of performance) plus the fact the bike starts right away, make me think the plugs won't change anything. But they're due anyway.
I'll look for Ring-in TPS topic right now... but I must say I'm afraid there's something bad behind this problem... not TPS or ECU related.
If the bike had a tankerite treatment for rust into the tank, do you think I should do something else?
It revs normally... it just lacks power.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
I will ask the obvious - do both front and rear down pipes get hot?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, good question. For sure I can say both spit the same amount of smoke, with the same pressure.
I'm thinking... a clogged fuel filter could cause what I'm experiencing?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
yea, but the pipes are linked so you may well get that...................

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point. How should I check? Or I can bypass this replacing the spark plugs? I don't think it's going on 1 cylinder though... it's smooth and has no problem ad idle. It's just weak.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
just fire it up and stick your hand on the pipework near to the head(s)..............

It will idle nicely on one cylinder...........and if it won't do more than about 65 - 75 mph it is on one cylinder.

It is never a bad idea to change plugs - I would do that, it eliminates one potential problem and you could end up with a spare set!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll definitely replace the plugs tomorrow but I really need to know why the bike is so weak.
Do you think a clogged fuel filter could do that? 'Cause the bike wasn't used for years, so the fuel in it could get crappy. Also I heard from the local bike shop that if he remembers correctly, this bike had the tank treated for rust.
In that case the problem is that I find many threads about fuel filter mod but none about replacing the fuel filter.
I also plan to use some type of additive into the tank, STP or something like that, to clean the throttle bodies. Literally trying everything. But if I had a decent mechanic, I'd have the bike checked by him for sure.
Down here they only want to rip you off, so I have no choice but to check things personally. :O

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Offtopic

..and you could end up with a spare set!
You cheap git! I'm allowed to say that you know.. I'm exactly the same..:p

There have been people raving about the result after a fresh fuel filter, could be worth a try. Maybe try and find out in those threads how it would affect running though. I'd expect a reduced fuel output would hurt top end power way more then low down, but I might be very wrong on that theory.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Its not exhaustive but you could run the fuel flow test which should give you a rough idea if the pump and filter are ok. If it hasn't been done I'd recommend changing the fuel filter every 5 years or so as a matter of course.

Given the thing has aftermarket cans its probably worth finding someone with a dyno and getting the fueling properly sorted. TLs are very picky about exhaust configurations and as soon as you deviate from the stock arrangement you can expect to have to do some tuning work.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts