TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am looking for a bike stand and im wondering what is the reason i should pay 100-150 for a name brand when i can get a stand off ebay for 50-80?

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I personally think a good stand is worth a few extra bucks.
I've used cheap stands before and they were always wobbly, or awkward.
I've got a Pit-Bull and a Woodcraft and I highly recommend both.

·
Registered
321 Posts
hey i am looking for a bike stand and im wondering what is the reason i should pay 100-150 for a name brand when i can get a stand off ebay for 50-80?
I made mine out of a lawn-mower handle. Braced the bend, perhaps wouldn't want to hold a party sitting on the seat while it's on the stand, but I don't need to do that anyway.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Suspension adjustments are super easy with my swingarm pivot stand.

I initially wanted an ABBA stand, but couldn't find a way to get one here in the US. So I found a company in Australia that makes them and BAM! had it in a couple weeks. Was more expensive than a regular stand at around $200, but it's worth every penny. http://www.andersonstands.com/catalog.htm

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bought a cheapie rear stand it it works, mostly because it's adjusted as wide as it goes to fit the tl SA, so it's pretty stable.

A buddy has a nice spool stand and my bike was rock steady though. I wouldn't cheap out on a front stand though.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I didn't like my Lockhart rear with the front adapter, pin would bend. I got the Pitbull lever-forward, nicer to use with one person and takes less space with the bike on it, takes no room in front of or behind the bike. I still want a swingarm-pivot like mystahagy and another steering-stem stand.

Right now my bike is hanging suspended from rope across the roof rafters, and I just lower the lift...LOL!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Always make my own :devious

This one is based on the abba stand but better suited to my bike lift as it sits upright and not over centre.

My front and back one are made from 25mm Electrical Conduit and wheels bought from local hardware shop

Even engine stands

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I've gotten the Abba stands before for $280 USD, if there's enough interest I could check on another GB on them - they normally go for $320 USD worth of yen here in Japan...

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
:stupid on the Pitbull stands... they could hold up a tank, no question your baby is safe and steady, no matter how much wrenching or yankin you are doing.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the T-Rex rear stand that veetwo just purchased. The quality is great for the price - no wobble and very sturdy. I'm going with the pitbull front triple stand though.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I have the T-Rex rear stand that veetwo just purchased. The quality is great for the price - no wobble and very sturdy. I'm going with the pitbull front triple stand though.
I have the T-Rex too for my front end. Extremely sturdy, great price, and you can use the adapter to hold the bike from the triples or the foks. No problems.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
If you plan on riding for a long time, and enjoy working on the bike, spend the extra money and get good ones.

...from someone that has tried cheaper ones and ultimately thrown them away.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've got a pit-bull, its super duper sturdy/stable. The spools would break off the swinger before it bent or flexed I think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
stands

Hey

I have a very good luck with my vortex rear stand. Quite easy to change the mounts from spindle to swingarm if need be. Rock solid, not a wobble and a decent price. I went with the vortex cause it was in stock at the local dealer and got a slight discount.

Nicholas

1 - 20 of 31 Posts