TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got this bike running and everything ready to go and when I try to take my first ride it dies when I put it into gear! Ahhhh super frustrating! If I have the back wheel up on the stand it will go into gear and start rolling the back wheel. If it's on the ground or i use the rear brakes when it gear it dies!!! Super angry I was really looking forward to th ride tonight! Please help all. Thanks. ... almost like the clutch isn't working correctly? 2001 TLR. Wet clutch.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,659 Posts
Is the side stand up when you are putting it into gear? If so, then verify that the side stand switch is not loose and that it is properly activated when the side stand is up.
Use a meter to verify that it is in fact switching when activated.

The side stand switch can be bypassed at the green connector. Follow the wires from the switch to find it. Disconnect it and bridge the two contacts in loomside connector with a jumper wire.

FYI - The side stand switch keeps the side stand RELAY engaged when the transmission is in gear.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the side stand is up. I couldn't get it to engage at all and figured out that the switch wasn't being pushed in all the way because the little tab on he stand was bent.. fixed that.. now it goes into gear but only when the rear wheel is in the air on the big stand and it starts to roll.. but when I hit the back brakes to stop the tire it's cuts out and dies.. also why it won't go into gear when the rear wheel is on the ground.. why I'm maybe thinking it's a clutch problem.. slave cylinder?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And to mention.. I do hear the click in the clutch lever but it has absolutely no resistance and pulls all the way to the grips. Fluid is good and no air in the system.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
..... now it goes into gear but only when the rear wheel is in the air on the big stand and it starts to roll.. but when I hit the back brakes to stop the tire it's cuts out and dies.. also why it won't go into gear when the rear wheel is on the ground.. why I'm maybe thinking it's a clutch problem.. slave cylinder?
I agree. You have clutch problems.

Maybe warped discs, or something else is not right in the clutch pack. It's time to inspect it.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
And to mention.. I do hear the click in the clutch lever but it has absolutely no resistance and pulls all the way to the grips. Fluid is good and no air in the system.
You should feel some resistance in the clutch lever as it is pulled, because you are compressing the clutch springs in the process.

Once you remove the clutch cover cover, you will be able to see if the clutch pack is moving when the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a way to test the slave cylinder? I know thats what's suppose to push the rod and compress the clutch pack..
Undo the three bolts that hold it in and then pull the clutch lever. You should see the piston move out of the housing slightly. Don't do it too much or you'll pop the piston right out and then have to reassemble and bleed the system. It might also be an issue with the pushrod that goes through the engine as well - could be bent or worn. An 8mm socket will get the slave cylinder bolts out. Only takes a minute to do.

Don't leave it out without putting a zip tie through the mounting holes to hold the piston in though as it'll eventually work itself out naturally if you just let it sit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay so i did this last night. I pulled it off and pulled the lever and couldn't see any movement but I put it back on the side of the bike without the bolts, pulled the lever again and it did push itself off maybe a eighth inch , if that.. so I'm wondering if the slave piston is not pushing out as much as it should? Can I just take it apart and clean it. Or do I need a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay so i did this last night. I pulled it off and pulled the lever and couldn't see any movement but I put it back on the side of the bike without the bolts, pulled the lever again and it did push itself off maybe a eighth inch , if that.. so I'm wondering if the slave piston is not pushing out as much as it should? Can I just take it apart and clean it. Or do I need a rebuild kit.
Yea it doesn't move much. It just needs to push the pressure plate out so the clutch plates can spin freely

1 - 13 of 13 Posts