TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a follow-up.

Last month I was whining about the 38 mpg I was getting from my TL1000S. And that was ABSOLUTELY the best I could get from it without making it run poorly, poodling down the highway with a limp wrist on the gas.

Since then I changed the airbox, made it a lot bigger with some nice velocity stax. ( I have tried this setup disastrously in the past but w/o velocity stacks)

Did a dyno session with new fuel map created. Can you believe, I only picked up 2 HP and 2 ft-lbs over the modded stock airbox, although it was a huge improvement over the short throttle bodies alone). Christ. What a waste of effort.

Then I spent 4 days riding twisty roads in Ohio. I got 46, 44, 46, 41, 45 mpg from subsequent tanks before I quit keeping track.

43 MPG absolutely flogging it down every straightaway, on the last day of riding.

What the F*** ??

Before, even when I leaned it down so far it was surging horribly, the best I ever saw before was 41 mpg but with great concern I was going to damage the engine.

I can't even begin to come up with a theory for this- I guess I need to look at the fuel map from the old setup, to this setup. IF the new setup shows a lot less fuel going in, then why?? some weird intake resonance/ filling thing? inlet length? I did change throttle bodies. Maybe they work better?

NOW, consider this article from way back about the mysterious throttle-body-cutting mod... Dean Richards DID mention this one:

"...smoother and more resposive the engine becomes. With slipons and power commander 2 (stage 4 map) and filter, the bike gets awesome fuel mileage and runs on the highway with an eerie smooth V8 feel. Much different than before I cut the bodies down 1 inch."

quite a coincidence?

still, with fuel injection, at X RPM, if it's going to inject Y amount of gas, why would anything change your fuel consumption at a given highway RPM? Well, unless you just used less throttle, I guess.

Anyway, I am still very baffled and blown away. I went 146 miles before my blinking fuel light came on, on one tank, my worst was 132 miles, on tight roads with lots of blasting in between corners and low speeds (generally below 50 mph) .

Normally I go something like 110-115 miles before my fuel light comes on.

dyno charts here

Bizarre! and my gearing is slightly shorter than stock, I have a 40T on the back and stock front sprocket. hmm. It's all a mystery. Maybe the odometer read falsely high because I was leaned over the whole time?

Pix of Ohio trip here

Attachments

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
still, with fuel injection, at X RPM, if it's going to inject Y amount of gas, why would anything change your fuel consumption at a given highway RPM? Well, unless you just used less throttle, I guess.
More air, same amount of fuel = leaner. :dunno

Were they able to simulate the effects of Ram air when you got your custom map done? Perhaps they've set it up spot on when you're stationary but when you're on the move with your mods, it leans out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I have them map it in 4th gear and no special effort to blow air down the tubes. I have fooled around with leaning it out earlier this summer- I leaned the part-throttle mix 4%, also 6%, 8% and 10% on subsequent maps. at 10% under what the shop delivered to me, it surged terribly. at -8% it was still surging, but I rode it thru a tank anyway and got 41 mpg. made me nervous, though. I could live with 4% leaner than what was mapped by the local shop, but that was it.

I am DEFINITELY not as lean now, as I was during that earlier testing. I know what lean feels like- the bike surges and hunts while cruising. I didn't fool with the fuel map one bit this time, there is no surging, and yet I am using way less fuel. All I can think is, I am using less throttle to cruise at the same RPM. I need to get a few tanks through it under my usual riding conditions- now that I'm back home- and see what it gets.

Oh yeah, I need to call up my buddy with that RC51 and see if those TWO tiny ponies are enough to give me the upper hand. He already wants a set of carbon wheels, so I think our parity is going to come to an end very shortly.

Holy cow, what if I gear it back up to stock- maybe 48 mpg?? That'd be a nice big fast red moped.

RN

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Randy, I logged 100+ tanks in my TLS :crazy

My average for that was 43.2MPG (UK gallons). Higher getting to my favorite roads, lower while there, but that was the average of the lot for 20106.9km Some down in the 20's on the track, another couple in the 50's with my kid on the back. (+2 on the rear, speedo recalibrated).

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Oh Randy - hello! Great page you've got, awesome reading ... LOVE the strokers too :yes
Maybe it's just running more efficiently :O I know around town I get like 13.5km/l on average but out thrashing I can get over 20km/l :O going down to Hiroshima I got 22km/l sitting on the highway being a good boy :D

Still better than my car though :laugh

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is amazing. I'll quit worrying about it and just ride the damned thing, then! :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
short end of the stick!

I got 22km/l sitting on the highway being a good boy
52 mpg??? Holy crap. What the devil is going on here with our 35 mpg bikes stateside.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
That was sitting on the highway cruising cruising cruising at like 70mph for like 2 hours though ... I'd just got the bike, just got my license back and was riding with a guy without a big bike license :devious so we flew under the radar ... others have reported the same thing too :yes Last spank over the mountains I went on, I got 17km/l ... no traffic lights :laugh

Me and a couple other guys are playing with tuning the AFR using a Wideband Commander from Dynojet ... I think we've had some good results. I've noticed the bike runs way smoother and commuting fuel economy is up a little despite the map being mostly richer :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I should use US MPG :banghead

Low to mid 20's on the track.

My average of 43.2MPG (UK) over 20106.9km
= Average of 35.9MPG (US) over 12494 miles

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
:dowhat you kept record for that long? I do a quick calculation in my head ... I'm more worried if the orange light comes on lower that 150km :laugh

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
OCD is a curse :laugh I had to force myself to stop doing it as it was becoming a pain. I do the GSXR occassionally, I've only logged 4000km of it.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Yeah ... erm ... the battery went flat on my PDA and I forgot to charge it and I lost all my data so I gave up on it - that's the real reason I don't log it anymore :dowhat rough enough is good enough to get an idea if it was a good or bad tank though ;)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I suspect it has a lot more to do with the new map than the airbox mods. Perhaps your attempts to lean it out weren't quite ideal, were not at the % throttle you use most often or something of that nature. I got low 40's on my TLS most of the time (stock air box).

If the airbox significantly improved cylinder filling for a given % throttle that will have the effect of leaning it out as you won't be twisting the throttle as far to get the same amount of air.

Anyway, I wouldn't complain:banana

·
Registered
623 Posts
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/test-forum/97099-big-airbox-pics.html

Nice job on the airbox. Does it seal good around the bottom of the tank?

Look at the dyno run I posted on there, note the hump at the top end.

I don't check my mpg very much but 35 or so seems about right depending how far you twist it.

If you get around my stomping grounds again let me know. I'm in canton-massillon area.

You hit some of the ok roads to ride around here but the good shit is acrossed the river in west virginia!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK roads?? LoL compared to Iowa, Ohio is a miracle of twisties. I am definitely planning to go back next year, but I'm a putt-putter on the street. I think we will have a small pack of guys making the trip, and a local guide would be fantastic, tho.

Did you have any before-and-after testing with your big airbox?

My bike is so unresponsive to mods, it's hardly worth chasing after 1 or 2 HP here or there, it has always been a weak TL. Maybe it was broken in poorly. OTOH, this saves me a lot of time and prevents it from becoming a terminal project bike, like my RG.

I go to bed and have dreams about Sam's engine. It's pretty sad.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
you mentioned you had your gearing changed...thats messing with your readings right there if you dont have a spoeedo healer :O

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good catch, I have clocked my speedo/ odometer many times and they read ~1.5% high (so 45 miles reads as 45.6 miles) so I just absorb that- I guess I am listing an extra .6 mpg. OTOH, when I was getting 38 mpg, that was also reading 1.5% high- so the relative change still stands.

I suppose by the end of the trip, it may have been even higher, as my tire gets shorter as it wears down!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:laugh thats true, lots of variables :banghead

·
Registered
423 Posts
who care's about fuel mpg?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts