TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok to just drop one at the front?

bike pulls ok but won't power wheelie in 2nd or anything, currently will pull to about 165mph but with a few thousand RPM left that it can't quite get to before i run out of road! :devious

is the std front 16t?
think I read drop 1 front and up 2 on rear but not sure? would rather just drop one front and be done with it save taking all the rear wheel off etc! :boring

·
Registered
795 Posts
Going 2 teeth up on the rear should be an easy job and I believe there's less chance of the chain dragging on the swinging arm chain guard.
On the TLS this can also be done using the standard chain AFAIK.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
17T front is standard.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
i'm 2 up on the rear...definately more go but not at the expense of control...

think carl is the same but hes got a big bore and is a nutter :D

soz carl :devious

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you use std length chain 2 up on rear?

will replacing the fuel filter make much of a difference then?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
+2 on the rear (40T TLS & 41T TLR) will work with the standard length chain and a standard 17T front sprocket.

It's just good practice to change the fuel filter. (Gearing changes and fuel filter replacement are independent of each other).

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
interesting that you mention the fuel filter..

as an aside...I occassionally run a C4 Corvette...and for some reason the fuel filter is very rarely changed,....and its amazing how many running problems can be cured just by changing it....I now change it yearly..for what it costs it's a no brainer

W

·
0 Posts
16-40 is standard on the raptor (same engine). I think it is perfect for the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been out today and found that it will power wheelie but only in 1st gear not a chance in 2nd! so that either means gearing is too tall or it aint powerful enough! ;)

ordered new fuel filter too, £18 ouch!!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Stop being a skirt and use the clutch to get the front up :laugh

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I really enjoy my 17 front and 43 rear. Yes.. you would need a new chain. But keepng the 17 front is a piece of mind for me. I did not want the chain dragging on the swingarm all the time. Got 50kmiles on the original and still looks like it's got another 50 left in it. The lower gearing lets me put around town nicely without feeling like i need to speed as well as makes leaving stop lights very unobtrusive. only light throttle and i can put away quietly WHEN needed. :devious I did not need top end as i live 20 min from the mountians! :devious So awesome roll on was desired and it's what it provides. :banana

Talk to Speedking for a Driven Kit.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
oops.. your on the otherside of the pond... well... speedking may still be able to help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just checked rear....its running a 39 on the back, may explain why it can't pull closer to the red line and why 2nd gear wheelies even with the clutch are hard? will have to see what is on the front but suspect its going to be a 17t as if it was dropped to 16t front and 39t rear it would just be basically the same as stock gearing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
went in to dealer and checked...turns out 39t rear is stock on a 99 tlr... so do I just go for a 41 rear or go 42, problem will be fitting it with the chain that's currently on and i don't want to buy a new chain as this is a newish chain already. mmm....? the axle push bolts are a fair way out, counts 5 marks in on adjuster markers from memory, think I can squeeze and extra 2 teeth in there?

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
It's inside the tank, I changed it when I had the fuel pump out, but the old one seemed perfectly OK after 18k miles :O

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's inside the tank, I changed it when I had the fuel pump out, but the old one seemed perfectly OK after 18k miles :O

I just got a new one cost me £15.61 in the end for what is a tiny filter! :coocoo anyway will pop that in soon, bike was left standing for 4yrs so guess it needs doing! :)

any thoughts on the MAK Rich?

Cheers,
Tom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts