TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to get advice on the best type of REAR rotor for rain racing.
My selections: OEM rigid rotor, or Revolution rigid rotor (see pic).

Again, this is for RAIN racing only... for dry I am set up already.

Our thinking...
For rain racing when temp is cooler we want the rear disk to have the best heat retention, friction, and most surface area available at all times.

We think the Revolution rotor would be better all around as it would run cooler and is lighter, but for my very specific application (rain racing) we think the OEM rotor might be better. The OEM is full-size with more material so it should retain heat better, and it definitely has more surface area.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Wave discs are designed for heat dissapation. I'd say the revolution could come under that category - that pattern should dissipate heat quicker; so going by your theory, I'd go for OEM:O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Busa OEM rear is larger than the TL one. Just need a Busa caliper bracket to hang the caliper off and you're good to go with that.

I would have thought an OEM set-up with HH pads would have been fine. :dunno

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I never use the rear brake in rain, so I couldn't care less what rotor I'm using (stock GSX-R 1000 rear rotor).

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I would have thought the pad material was the crittical factor in the rain. you want something softer and more aggressive, heat build up and material spoilage is no longer an issue.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
I never use the rear brake in rain, so I couldn't care less what rotor I'm using (stock GSX-R 1000 rear rotor).
:stupid

I do use it a bit when the arse nips but it's more to trick my brain that I'm doing all I can to stop, I run a mini rear caliper which couldn't squash the juice out of a grape to be honest :laugh

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a mini rear caliper which couldn't squash the juice out of a grape to be honest :laugh
:laugh

I have to have a working rear brake, and have 2 choices of rotors.. OEM or Revolution.

I had bought a new Revolution rigid rear rotor thinking it would be best for all racing, but then I got a set of 16.5" Yosh/Marchi wheels (and the rear comes with it's own proprietary floating rear rotor).

So my rotor choice is for my 17" Marchi rain wheels. If I go with OEM (which is most likely), I'll have a *brand new* Revolution rear rigid rotor for sale shortly... anyone interested can PM me.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
I would have thought the pad material was the crittical factor in the rain. you want something softer and more aggressive, heat build up and material spoilage is no longer an issue.
HH pads have the highest friction coefficient normal and hot temps. (1st & 2nd letter respectively)

C = less than 0.15.
D= 0.15 to 0.25.
E= 0.25 to 0.35.
F= 0.35 to 0.45.
G= 0.45 to 0.55.
H= over 0.55.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Interestin ginfo steve

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
For rain racing stock is more than you need on the back. You'll be doing most of your braking upright and believe it or not the front can handle almost as much as in the dry until you tip it in (heavy trail braking will put you on your head every time). You'll feel the rear sliding all over the place when you pick up the pace even without a grabby back brake.

Rob

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, I have decided to go with the OEM rear disk for my rain wheels.

My *brand new* Revolution rear rigid rotor is up for sale... someone please buy it from me!

Hey Rob, any luck finding that box yet? :devious

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll feel the rear sliding all over the place when you pick up the pace even without a grabby back brake.
I raced on rain tires for the first time last fall... Pirelli rain slicks.

I cannot believe how much grip they give.
Wish I had done it years earlier, what a blast!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I would prefer a 43T (or 42 depending on the track I'm at).

I was running 15/44 and had to switch to 15/43 to keep the front end down and keep it from revving out so fast in various gears.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts