TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker is interested in getting into sportbikes. What do you guys think are the best beginner bikes out now?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
sv650. Great for beginners, won't bite, but also won't get bored too quick and a ton of aftermarket parts for it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Really depends on the person and type of riding intended. if developing riding ability and having fun are the only critera a 125cc MX bike is really hard to beat. if its got to be a sporty street bike an SV650 or Kawasaki 650R would be my top pics. Don't overlook dual sports/super moto either, very easy to handle, generally cheep to drop/crash and tons of fun.....

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Any bike Jasen can touch the ground on, or an SV 650, good call.

J

·
0 Posts
any dualsport is fine.

I know you asked for sportbike... but dualsports are still the best. :devious.

600rr is fine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Kanatuna, FZR, or if on a budget, get an older F3 or f4i. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
want an R6 so bad...................................................

·
Registered
608 Posts
i agree the sv 650 but the svs 650 has a sportier look tell him to look in to getting an older one so if drops it wont hurt his feeling and his wallet.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
shooting for a squid answer here gixxer1k....someone had to do it :laugh

on a serious note i would say f3/f4i or older f2..great bikes and can be found for cheap..

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I also agree with the f3 or f4. You can usually get them for about $2500. I'm a firm believer that used is the way to go on a first bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also agree with the f3 or f4. You can usually get them for about $2500. I'm a firm believer that used is the way to go on a first bike.
100% agree the older F-2,3, or 4's are pretty cheap used and very reliable. Also alot of aftermarket parts avalible for later on if they want to add more power as their learning curve increases.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
DRZ's are great for first timers! very forgiving and you have to work at it to go too fast :thumbup

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
FZ6

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would never recommend a 4cyl for a first bike. Too big and heavy. That new Kawi 650R really has what anyone needs for a first bike...ditto the old, venerable EX500. In a pinch the old GS500e was a good choice too...very simple bike, and most people could stay interested for a year or two, and they hold their (low) value pretty well too.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I bought an F4i for the womans first bike. She does pretty well. The bike is light, agile, forgiving, and won't toss you unless you really try stupid shit. You really have to wind it up otherwise it is very tame. The new 600rr s are completely different. Go with a slightly older F4...

Also doubles as a fun backup while mine is down. :devious I doubt she will out grow it.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
USED!!!

alot of people eluded to it, but USED is the way to go. needs to run good and be safe but the more banged up the better, price is low, and they won't feel so bad when they drop it the first time...

if after a year, they are still riding the thing.... Sell it to the next guy and buy something bigger and nicer...

I would vote for a USED SV650 or 750 Kan-o-tuna if they are looking at the sport bikes.

hate to spend 10 grand only to find out you really don't like riding all that much and dropped it the second week in the drive way and now it's got 388 miles on it and is worth 5 grand. works out that you could have taken a taxi for 388 miles and cost you less.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I started with a Tiller over a year ago.....only crashed once so far and it was due to what should have been a paved road being gravel (sucks to find out at high speed while in a lean)

Maturity helps.

It was a wierd deal though cause I found the bike pretty cheap at an impound lot. I was more looking at a ninja 250...I'm now glad I didn't get a 250....man would I have gotten sick of it quick.

Today I think the ninja 650r might just be one of the best starter sport bikes going.....doesn't look ghey....has enough power to get around and get a full riding experience without putting you in trouble......mushier suspension setup....decent riding position....reasonable price new even...(6Kish)

AND SEND THEM TO THE MSF BEFORE THEY TRY TO RIDE

sure as hell saved my life more than once thus far...

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Last weekend I bought a GS 750 X -82 for my gf. She'll be training for her bike license next summer and this motha was a real bargain. He asked $1500 for it initially, but dropped it to $950 including a new exhaust system. (Mind ya the dollar is ridicously cheap so the prices probably look a bit high to you. As comparison, I bought my stock -97 tillis with 17k miles on it for $6300 last year and that was a decent price). The engine needs replacing a crank bearing, and I'll look into that this spring.

It'll probably be a monster for her to manage, but as I remember it, the bike is relatively forgiving. The major drawback is the weight...

At least it's cheap. It's cheaper for her to total it than to drop my tillis once.

If the economy allows, I might buy a very very cheap 125cc offroad bike for her to learn bike handling basics before mounting the GS.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts