TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into battery options for my 02 tlr, and haven't been able to find any recent information. I've been using the Yuasa YTZ14S for the last few years, but I work away a lot and sometimes the bike doesn't get a run for months at a time and the Yuasa doesn't seem to last very in storage or set up on a trickle.

The most recent info I've found was from here about 5+ years ago that was recommending a Shorai battery. Shorai lithium battery

Both options are pretty expensive in Australia, the Yuasa being only slightly cheaper but available locally whereas it looks like I'll need to import a Shoria. I've tried cheaper batteries recommended for the bike but they lack CCA and can sometimes struggle to do a cold start.

If anyone has any other options they can recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum Aston!

The Yuasa batteries generally have a good reputation. However, any lead-acid battery is a challenge to maintain when left unattended for lengths of time.

I have been running the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery in my TLR for the past 6 years (rated at 270 cca). It has performed well, and it can be left unattended for weeks at a time. It also seems to have better performance in colder temperatures compared to other lithium-based batteries I have tried.

Another lithium type battery that I have heard good reports about, but have yet to try, is the EarthX brand. If you are interested in this one, member Speedking may be able to source one at a reduced rate (they are still pricey). You can also contact him as Sean Paul on Facebook.
Welcome to Speedking MotoWerx....where 2 is better than 4!

While on the subject of batteries, it's also recommended that you verify the performance of your TL's charging system. If it is not working properly, any battery will be short-lived.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome and the information mate. I have a few weeks before I'm back from work again so I'll try and get one ordered before I leave. I'm getting a bit of work done on it while I'm away so I'll get the charging system checked out while they're at it, appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Another lithium type battery that I have heard good reports about, but have yet to try, is the EarthX brand.
I can vouch. Years without a single problem and has a built in charge controller so you don't have to buy a super expensive charger. I just use my battery tender.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a LiFp04 battery and forget about it. Lithium iron phosphate batteries are some of the safest on the market and they are a direct replacement for SLA or AGM batteries. You wont need a tricklevcharger which those are no good for SLA anyway. The depth of discharge is far superior and temp range is completely suitable for this application. The only draw back is they do not like to be charged while cold but they have built in BMS battery management systems that make sure you dont screw up you brand new $200+ battery. Trust me they are the bee knees as the kids say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you go with lithium of any chemistry be sure to get one with a built in BMS this will mot allow over charge, over discharge, or themal run away situations. But i highly recommend a lithium iron phosphate or LiFeP04 chemistry. They are next to impossible to blow up and even when you do get them to pop they only ventvwater vapor not as jerry lee Louis put it "great balls of fire"

·
Registered
2 Posts
G'day Aston, I too have an '02 TLR and am a skippy to boot.
I replaced the standard battery with a lithium battery from:
As a bonus you get extra cca from a battery the same dimensions as the original.
Due to the lockdown I hadn't started my bike for a few months, went out the other day and hit the starter and it cranked away like I'd ridden it that morning.
Give Daniel a hoi and he'll sort it out.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information and suggestions, I just got back from another swing away with work. I was leaning towards an EarthX but couldn't find a good supplier in Australia and ended up going with an SSB LH9-BS. LH9-BS High Performance Lithium Ion Phosphate Motorcycle Battery

They look pretty good and recommended by a friend as well as from Battered Sav. If I have any dramas with it I'll post an update but I expect it to be fine. Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts