TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, can well understand the great difficulty some have when the battery will not start the TLR/S. Taken me 4 weeks to sort this and i am a technicaly qualified person.

Original problem: The battery was not able to easly support cold cranking and i was stranded, normal bump start did not work in any gear. Normal volts from the RR at idle (14,2V ) however would sag on more revs to 13,2-8V or thereabouts.

Changed the RR for a smaller one i had to hand, better but still not the 14V or better i was looking for. Checked all the usual connector/Fuse culprits pointed to by kind zone posters, basicly all sound.

You can short the output of the RR to ground ( no battery connection ie pull the RR output lead and short to ground, while engine is running, leave the black leads connected ) short circuit curent is around 28Amps. Tested all star windings in turn by shorting to ground, all gave 24AmpsDC ( though the star windings are AC they get rectified by the RR internal diode son return current ) if you leave the other two star points connected to the RR

Was still not convinced the stator was ok and ended up pulling it, not wanting to pay silly money for a replacement i stuck in a 115m/m stator from some other Kwaka i had to hand, much less in cross section though similar in winding wire cross section.

14,1V now on a fully charged original with new bike battery, though the idle rev sag was huge as the headlight is on all the time, and something like 14Amps is required to keep the bike running. The lower cross section of soft iron of the kwaka coil could not support that load at less than 2500rpm, hence the very large cross section stator as fitted to the TLR. Believe there is a partial shorted turn in the stator which only happens as winding volts rise and arcing occurs, best guess as no way to easly check for certain.

Have to locate a decent RR and stator now, what have others done in regard to RR and stator replacement? Electrex seem not to have a Stator listed for the TLR?

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Not sure if the S one is the same as the R one but I have an S one, shpiing will cost and take a while though, chances are the Ashes will be on the way back to the UK before you recieve it.
pm me if interested

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey JOTA. I recently replaced my Regulater/Rectifier with one made by ElectroSport. I installed mine last month and so far , so good.
Check them out at ElectroSport.com

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Believe there is a partial shorted turn in the stator which only happens as winding volts rise and arcing occurs, best guess as no way to easly check for certain.
There is an easy way to check. Know an electrician? Borrow their insulation & continuity tester. I can use mine to check resistance at 250V, 500V & 1000V plus it has a 1 ohm scale which is good for this stuff too.

·
Registered
802 Posts
From memory you do an open circuit voltage chk of the stator
You should get better than 75v across any phase.
If you do have shorted turns you will se the discoloration on the enamel or the statir.
Its in the manual I think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PoshJohnny, many thanks for the thought and offer, hang onto what you have as never know when you may need spare parts yourself. Yes ParcelFarce know how to charge and loose items.... The Ashes are yours my son....welcome to them. Aussie cricketers are boofheads.

Roadrash, thank you for the tip.

Steve, yes have a good hand crank megger. Though the problem is interwinding arcing, rather than winding down to frame. The only way to get a handle on this stator is to intercept the star connection and apply around 100VAC to the winding and monitor the magnetizing current. Growler is another test device used to test for shorted turns. Thanks for the reply.

Pad, yes the open circuit voltage from an unloaded stator is much higher than the system volts. A shorted turn will deform the wave form output however a normal or even a true RMS multimeter will not see this problem usualy. Have a isolated diff. input powerscope here that can monitor the waveform from the stator unloaded and with the RR connected to see the voltage distoration and switching waveforms. Found 2 faulty stators with this scope, however this TLR stator is a different problem, as the shunt action of the RR is masking the dipping phase voltage if indeed it is a shorted turn. Thank you for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts