TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot for the life of me get the throttle side bar end off. It just turns and turns. No amount of force has been able to get it off. I get it to stick off about 1 inch from the throttle tube. That's it. I had the same problem with the other side but when I was turning the bolt I applied out ward force and it finally came off. I am wanting to install my 1/5 turn g2 tube. It also will not tighten all they way so it is always spinning. Anyone else ever have this problem? I don't know what the long bolt screws into inside the clip on but I imagine it is spinning. Help. SOS... Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Here is the problem. I encountered the same issue while trying to remove the OEM bar ends.

While the photo is not an OEM item, it illustrates how they are assembled. After they have been installed for so long the rubber portion locks on to the inside of the handlebar and does not move easily. Meanwhile, when the screw is loosened it simply turns instead of unthreading from the nut.

However, as you found with the left side, with outward force, enough friction can be placed on the nut that it unscrews from the threads, but the rubber doesn't move. So then, the nut stays captured inside the tube.

Since the right hand bar end is stuck, but is partially removed, try to get something soft behind it and tap it out the rest of the way with a mallet. If that doesn't work, continue to apply outward pressure while unscrewing the bolt 20200709_085347.jpg 20200709_085320.jpg quickly, In hopes that the nut will find a foothold and allow the bolt to unscrew.

Once the bar ends are removed, devise a hook of some sort to pull the rubber bushing out of the handlebar along with the nut.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is perfect! Thanks a lot. I got new grips in the mail too so it definitely needs to be removed. Thank you for the pictures as it all makes sense now for what's going on inside the bar end itself. This site is awesome 👍👍

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it off today thanks for your help six5. Now new throttle tube and grips will be installed tomorrow 👍👍 I am going to order new bar ends as well. I will try using the old ones for the mean time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same problem with mine, will definitely use six5's resolution.
This site is the best!!
It worked great. Just apply outward pressure while turning the screw. I used a flat head screw driver to pry it while turning and it eventually came out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts