TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a few bar ends on ebay made out of aluminum. Shouldn't the bar end be heavy? Could these bar ends affect handling?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The stockers are heavy to help damp vibrations. Lighter ones will make the bike a tad lighter of course and will make the steering ever so slightly lighter. No real difference in handling. You will feel a little more vibs in the bars with the light ones. I really don't think the weight has anything to do with stability or slappers, just engine vibration.

If you want to drop some weight I'd go with the delerian (sp?) ones from IRP or similar, they will slid better in a crash than aluminum or steel and are quite light.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I never put any stock in bar end weights. I had the stockers on my TLR after a 300 mile day I looked down and noticed the left was gone, it had rattled out and I never noticed. I knew they were there to reduce vibrations, so I paid attention to it and never noticed any difference in vibrations or in handling. I bought a cheapo pair of aluminum bar ends just for symetry and looks and to be perfectly honest I never felt one tiny bit of difference, and I was trying to notice. but that's just me

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Odd, I went to the light IRP bar ends and liked them for around town and twisties, but noticed more vibs droneing down the highway and eventually went back to the stockers because my hands were going numb.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I use aluminiun bar ends for a long time and never notice an increase on vibration.... The theory says it should be heavy , but in practice I think is not so important....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually this brings up another question. The reason why I need the new ones is that I dropped the bike. The stock bar end got wasted but I think it may have helped to reduce the damage. I suppose an aluminum one would not be that good when it meets the ground. Ok, it should never happen again but...

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I get better grips. Never had the heavy bar weights to a thing for me. There is some numbness and tingling after a week or so riding around the country, but I've gotten that from all bikes.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Actually this brings up another question. The reason why I need the new ones is that I dropped the bike. The stock bar end got wasted but I think it may have helped to reduce the damage. I suppose an aluminum one would not be that good when it meets the ground. Ok, it should never happen again but...
I disagree...my cheapo $15 aluminum bar sliders protected very well when I highsided. they did grind down a bit, but everything was protected very well. My buddy dropped his stock R6 at a MUCH lower speed and his barends pivoted in the bar and bent the bar. fact is, they are cheap and seem to affect people differently. When I only had one slider on, I ran at all speeds, from slow in town speeds, to 150 mph and honestly couldn't tell a difference at all. but I imagine that with handlebars, not clip ons, it's different.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I recently got a set of very small and light aluminium bar ends from RatedR, and i don't think i can notice any difference through the bars really... But with grips i do, my worn out old renthals were replaced with some slightly thicker and softer gel feeling type grips, and th effect of vibes has halved, and no more numb fingers after an hour on the road, (now its more like 1.5 hrs:):laugh )

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
some of you must have some rough running TL's

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
So why do bikes such as Ducati superbikes come with only nubs and not heavy bar ends?:O
More race and less street/touring oriented I suppose:)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
my right hand goes numb. very very fustrating. have been thinking about hunting down a stock set of bar ends to see if it makes a difference. anyone want to swap their stock set for a nice carbon fibre look alike set :D

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
my right hand goes numb. very very fustrating. have been thinking about hunting down a stock set of bar ends to see if it makes a difference. anyone want to swap their stock set for a nice carbon fibre look alike set :D
I don't think it will help you. Nothing, on any of my bikes, prevented that on long trips. Throttle rocker and softer grips helped, but bar ends didn't make a darn bit of difference for me.

but, some people say they do. hell, I sent bikepilot one of my stockers cause he thinks it helps. pfft...kids :coocoo

:laugh

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
long trips i understand but with these i only get 15 min :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts