TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. The lathe was old and hadn't been taken care of properly before i got it. I kept pumping oil into the filler cups and knew that if it was going in as fast as I could pour it in the cups, something was wrong.

the bearing between the live head stock and the drive shives... is frickin TOAST... it's not a bearing any more... it's one fused piece of metal.:banghead

Alright, so what is the upshot of this? the clutch cover line and throttle insert line are down until I can get another lathe and get it hooked up and running. I have a line on a slightly larger South Bend in the Chicago area that is on Ebay. He had zero bidders on his 7 day auction. I'm going to try to give him a lower bid and offer to pick it up and see if that shakes him loose.

only problem is that I need to convert it from 230 3 phase, to 220 single phase (buy a new motor) and get that installed...

we're looking at end of Jan, to middle of Feb before all this happens I would think.

Do not panic, the lines will come back up as soon as I am able. I do have about 40 colored anodized rings and I think I can get a hole saw that will punch the covers (still in the experimental phase) so I still may be able to get CCC's with colored rings out the door.

but I need my lathe to make the rings and I don't have any silver/aluminum ones lieing about.

I'll keep ya'll updated, but for now, a bump in the road for Double Z Racing.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh

Good luck with the new machine:thumbup

I used to use one made by Jet and it actually worked very well (it was a huge beast), was used for producing MTB/BMX parts daily - it was also 3 phase though. That's about the extent of my experence:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good luck, $hit like that happens almost everyweek to my buddy.....hes killed 3 motors countless relays, switches, just about everything on his new lathe has died at least once. I forget the name off the company he purchased it from but they suck oohh yeah his mill just broke too maybe its a sign that he should ride more

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a 1948 southbend in my shop that gets used everyday.I broke the part called the apron and was able to find it from a guy out west somewhere.I believe it was something like miller machine parts.If it is a brand name lathe you can still get parts.I believe southbend even still makes parts for my old girl.I will try and locate the guys number for you.You can always come up and use my shop even though we are half way across the country from each other.Offer is always open.Good luck

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you guys are the greatest, Hans, if I was down the street from you I would be over to make up half a doz rings until I got my machine back up and running.

It's toast, It was run by some goober who didn't know what he was doing, Kept it out in a tool shead that had a leak in the roof, half the bed was rusted. I don't think he ever oiled the damn thing. I got it for super cheap because he though it was junk. well it is but it make me 5 grand before it died. The bearing between the back gear and main drive is fused. You pop the pin between the drive shives and the live head.... and the two are supposed to be disconnected...... They are totally fused...

it's just a matter of time before something else goes. I'm going to get one that is in better shape, this motorcycle parts thing looks like it has a future, it's worth spending some money to get good equipment. If I had more room I would get a full compliment of stuff, but right now It's just a one man show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.