TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 97 tl1000s backfires when cold or when i ream on the throttle and let off... when i let off it backfires. is this normal or do i need to adjust some valve? it only has 25k miles.... i live in seattle :p

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,312 Posts
Often, the doughnut gasket between the stub pipe and header on the rear cylinder is the culprit. When the engine is cold you may be able to feel exhaust gases escaping through that junction.

That same gasket is used not only on TLs, but also on SVs and DLs. Therefore, it is surprising that none of the shops in my area keep them on hand. They are always "special order" items. :coocoo Anyway, that's likely the part you need. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Often, the doughnut gasket between the stub pipe and header on the rear cylinder is the culprit. When the engine is cold you may be able to feel exhaust gases escaping through that junction.

That same gasket is used not only on TLs, but also on SVs and DLs. Therefore, it is surprising that none of the shops in my area keep them on hand. They are always "special order" items. :coocoo Anyway, that's likely the part you need. :)
Yup, i had the same issue. Those pops can go a long way to making shit of a CF can too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 On the header gaskets, also check all the locations that the exhaust joins together, so at the base of each can where they bolt on, in the middle of the system where the two "halves" of the system join together and also have a look right up by the rear cylinder where the exhaust slides over the header stub.

Start the bike up and put your hand near the joins and see if you can feel any gases escaping is the easiest way.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Yup, i had the same issue. Those pops can go a long way to making shit of a CF can too!
they also made the police around london very twitchy when i was riding my backfiring tl down there to the world superbikes at brands hatch
sounded great in the dartford tunnel though,lol

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
+1

Start the bike up and put your hand near the joins and see if you can feel any gases escaping is the easiest way.

Good Luck!
but make sure you do it with the engine cold, and br quick cos that rear pipe gets bloody hot,very quickly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts