TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99s
i dont know if its the fact that i have become more confident with my bike and riding more aggressively or there is something wrong with the back torque limiter...but on moderately hard down shifts (usually 3rd to 2nd), my rear end "fish tails" all over the place..im running a set of dunlop 208's at 30 psi..tires are well within "good" condition too..:confused

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
you are thinking the back limiter is like a slipper which it isn't. The slipper prevents rear wheel hop, a back torque limiting clutch does not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Extender said:
you are thinking the back limiter is like a slipper which it isn't. The slipper prevents rear wheel hop, a back torque limiting clutch does not.
So, what does the back torque limiter do? I always thought it stopped rear hopping?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, im familiar with the difference between the two mechanisms i think...how would wheel hop be different that wheel lock up?? if i blip the throttle right before downshifting it seems to help a little bit..but from what i understand that is not a necessary technique with the back torque limiter

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought we just had a more "primitive" version of a slipper clutch...same concept at least

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Our clutches are designed to minimise the possibility of compression lock up on down changes by having minimum spring pressure when idling, cruising and backing off i.e anytime forward torque is not applied. Minimum pressure = more slip.

When you accelerate the camset pulls on the spring bolts and adds more preload to the springs for maximum friction.

Slipper clutch, back torque limiter doesn't matter, all designed to do the same thing. Help prevent compression lockups on down changes.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Check out your suspension as well. When I lost the bolt on my rotary damper it would fishtail like crazy every time I'd downshift. Your shock may be shot or need adjusting...if it's stock this wouldn't be a suprise. I too thought something was wrong with the bike, motorwise but once I pulled the stocker off there, missing bolt and all, and put on the bitubo the fishtailing went away.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you jasen..good advise:) especially since i did have to remove the whole damper this past summer to have the mount welded up after it cracked..
im pretty sure i torqed those two bolts well..but better off checking the easy stuff first

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
It also depends a lot on your fork setup. If the fork is bottoming out, the rear end won't be very stable even with the back torque limiter.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
adam57 said:
i have a 99s
i dont know if its the fact that i have become more confident with my bike and riding more aggressively or there is something wrong with the back torque limiter...but on moderately hard down shifts (usually 3rd to 2nd), my rear end "fish tails" all over the place..im running a set of dunlop 208's at 30 psi..tires are well within "good" condition too..:confused
i dont think thats a cluch problem, i think its a setup problem.

whats happening on the exit of the corner, do you find yourself running wide on occasion?

how about corner entry, are you turning in 2 quick and finding you are hitting the apex 2 soon?

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
adam57 said:
...but on moderately hard down shifts (usually 3rd to 2nd), my rear end "fish tails" all over the place..

adam57 said:
if i blip the throttle right before downshifting it seems to help a little bit..but from what i understand that is not a necessary technique with the back torque limiter
You thought wrong.The TL does not have anything like a slipper.
Slippers have ramps that lift the split clutch hub as the wheel starts to lock and so the clutch slips momentarily until control is gained,the ramps seat and so on.
What you are doing is rough downshifts while over revving to the point the rear wheel is close to locking up and risk high siding or failing to take a corner.
Don't mash the shifter down with no throttle,match the rev's on the downshift or pay the ferryman sooner than later.
Riding twins fast is about being smooth...

Just over 500 kms after lunch today,a good deal of it on tight back roads with 1000's of gear shifts...Nothing like a bit of practice :thumbup

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just a thought...

I get the "fishtail" sometimes, but it's because I am riding hard and am hard on the brakes, which lifts the rear a little, like doing an endo, so the rear is just skimming the ground. It's just an effect of riding hard. Even a slipper clutch is going to do this. Watch MotoGP sometime, they've got the latest and greatest and they still "fishtail" the rear when they hard on the braking.

C

1 - 15 of 15 Posts