Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 42.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is time to get new tires for my TLS. Currently have a Dunlop (4k and the inner belt is showing a little) on the rear with a Pirelli (minimal wear) on the front and would like to get matching tires. I've been looking around and have read some good things about Avon tires. Currently I am looking at the Storm AV55/56 and the Viper Sport AV59/60. The Storm is touring so higher mileage versus the Viper which is more grip. Right now i commute 95m/day at least 3 days a week but hopefully with a few weeks it will be down to 25m/day.

http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6701/pid/5583
http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6701/pid/15426

Any feed back and suggestions welcome :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
:stupid

I do about 65 miles round trip daily for work. Id like to know the same thing cuz my rear is starting to look a bit blank :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The Storms rock. Loads of grip and really stable in less than ideal conditions.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The Storms rock. Loads of grip and really stable in less than ideal conditions.

What kinda mileage are you getting out of these? You really liked the predecessor to these tires and got crazy mileage out of them. Has Avon compromised some wear for grip or are these better across the board?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
bought my second set of Road 2's yesterday. Dual compound, so a company finally figured out how to build a logical tire with soft rubber where we need it, harder compound in the middle. I've heard upwards of 12k miles out of a set, but on the tl I'm expecting 6-8k which is fine.

Best feeling tire I've ever had on the TL, even more than the supercorsa pro's they replaced.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Avon Azaro's....................good in the wet and dry :pirate

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Avon Storms are wicked, as Bikepilot says they are great in the wet and dry, just replaced mine for another set, i got over 6000 miles of hard use on the motorways and country roads, infact the front still had good enough tread left to not need to be changed but got a good offer on the set so have a front as a spare now :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I put 3k miles on a set of storms riding from Denver to FL and they weren't showing much wear. I do think they may wear a tad more quickly than the AV45/46ST, but they still seem to hold up pretty well. I've not worn a set out so don't know what the total mileage would be, but they definitely weren't even half way worn out after 3k miles. All of those miles were while pretty heavily loaded too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a set of Viper Sports and like them.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
i previously ran the azaros on my rex and have the storms on there now. i have also run the 49/50 on the tls. if you need mileage, definitely go with the storms. i have yet to run the storms long enough to wear them out, but at about 3k miles, there isnt much wear even noticeable on them yet. my guess would be that i will get around 7k out of the rear and more out of the front

as for the 49/50, a couple thousand miles and a couple track days and they were toast. great grip but i wouldnt run them on a bike that sees any commuting duty.

as for the dunlop road 2s, there have been quite a few complaints about the front becoming mishapen and high ridges forming in the center. i dont think it happens to everyone, but i have seen a few reports about it

also, check out swmoto tire. there prices are cheaper than what you linked to and shipping is free if you buy a set. i just ordered a set sunday night and and got them on tuesday

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Hey kevh, what's up? I dunno what part of CO you are in, but TFOG in denver had pretty sweet pricing on the Storms:thumbup

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hey kevh, what's up? I dunno what part of CO you are in, but TFOG in denver had pretty sweet pricing on the Storms:thumbup
hey brudda...same-same here.

yea i heard about tfog...and they install for about $10 a wheel. if they were closer i would definitely hit them up, but the local shop doesnt rape me too bad so i usually just go up the road.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:thumbup I was in denver this summer and snagged a set from tfog. their pricing was about the same as swmoto where I'd previously been buying my avons:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts