TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be my first Avon if I'll decide to try it.
Can someone give me some feedback?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use them, think they are great in wet and dry. Got over 6000 miles on the rear and still loads of life left in the front :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
They work really well. I put 3k miles on a pair in 4 days:deal

They are extremely stable and neutral when turning, very stable in a straight line. A little more effort than some tires to turn in, but once turned in hold a line much better than most. They are less affected by road irregularities (small amounts of snow, tar strips, dirt, sand etc) than any other tire I've used of this type.

I don't know how long the storms will last but I got 20k miles from the AV45/46 that they replaced.

Wet grip is very good, cold grip is very good. They feel like a very soft compound and I suspect could be overheated on a track. I got some minor balling up after a couple of runs on deals gap. I was cornering as hard a the clearance of the 919 would allow, but not braking or accelerating terribly hard. The bike was very heavily loaded though (probably 100lbs on the back).

·
Registered
526 Posts
:inloveThose tire a sweet looking.

How much are a set of these going for?:O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
IIRC they are about 250 for a pair. I got mine installed on the bike in Denver during my trip for $330. Normally I'd install them myself or at least take only the wheels in but I was mid-trip and just didn't have the time or inclination.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i will be using them next, as alex talks so highly of them!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Storms on Pikes Peak

After the PP ride

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
They must be a hard tyre, tried solid rubber? Might get less miles though :laugh. 20K miles, luggage, no damper etc. (or was that the older ones?)

I'd be lucky to get 3500km (~2200miles) out of a rear on my TLS and wouldn't dream of running without a damper as the thing would buck and spit and carry on while tearing the tyres to bits.

Different rubber for differnt roads I guess. Grip must be so personal. I'm too scared to try a compund that could give me 20K miles because I'm sure it couldn't give enough grip for me. I just flattened out a soft tyre from riding it as a commuter instead of a sport tyre and still got no where near those sort of miles.

Now I'm on my first dual compound to see what the compromise is like. I bet it still wont get 20K miles, and the centre wont offer the grip of the soft rubber I'm used to.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I use the Avon Azaro's :) :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The weird thing Steve is the rubber feels quite soft to the touch and heats up quickly. It sticks much better than a BT020, D207or the OEM Metz Z-1 that came on the bike from the factory (and lasted a whopping 1500 miles) yet still lasts longer. I don't think its a direct trade-off between grip and life or life and hardness of the rubber. Part of the reason it lasts so long is that the tread is quite deep. I'm sure the tire is a fair bit heavier (when new anyway:laugh) than a new Pilot Power for example as it starts out with a lot more rubber. Can't say I noticed it though when riding.

A bridgestone 020 for example feels fairly hard to the touch and feels very hard when riding. It doesn't offer a ton of grip and is particularly bad in wet or cold conditions. In cold if pushed hard it will sort of chatter and skip sidways where most super sport tires or these avons will just push out smoothly. Oddly enough, despite being much harder than the Avons the 020 was shot by 14k IIRC. All these were on the TLS with the same suspension setup and same commute so about as controlled an environment as I'm likely to get without a lab of some sort.

That was the older one on the TLS that I got 20k miles from (did that twice, so results probably not anomalous for my conditions). I do think temperature had a lot to do with it as probably 2/3rds of those miles were in sub-50 degree temps and quite a lot of them were in sub-freezing temps. Also, most of those miles were with minimal luggage (just lunch, change of clothes and sometimes laptop, so less than 15lbs I'd guess and I'm 160lbs..).

I've only ridden the new Storm on the 919 and only put 3k miles on it. All of those 3k miles though were in warm weather heavily loaded (~100lbs) and about 300-400 of those miles were bucking a 60-70mph wind (from somewhere between a 45 deg angle and 90 deg angle) (no exaggeration:scared). There was some visible wear after the 3k miles, but not bad at all. I didn't measure the tread depth but I'd guess them to be about 1/4 worn.

I'm also probably a lot slower than you and 99% of my riding is for transportation purposes and not in conditions that would permit spirited riding (i.e. heavy traffic, tight cities, lots of cops etc). On the rare occasion that I do find an open twisty bit I don't mind scooting along at a decent pace, but still not as fast as you'd be I think. No track days either:(

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I use them, think they are great in wet and dry. Got over 6000 miles on the rear and still loads of life left in the front :)
:stupid
Excellent all-round tyre (yes all tyres are round:laugh)
Never had any serious moments due to them that I'm aware of and they give plenty of mileage.
The Storm ST is Avon's replacement for the Azarro I believe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey gang!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n the TLzone noob here...please excuse my "free form" atempts at comunications, it drives the PNWriders NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have run Azzaro's, now Storm st's on several bikes.
I just replaced the first set of Storms on my 00 zx12r, after about 6K, lack of E. wa corners took'em out in the centers. Fast (some times), and 270lbs... I was VERY HAPPY w/ them (got 'em again). Ran them on my 94 cbr1000f, got 8k... VERY HAPPY(got 'em again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got 'em for my 97 TL, 1k so far, 180/50 VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
Got 'em for my 88 gsx-r 1100 (uninstalled)

Overall... abit slower trasition than some profiles... but carve when line is achieved, rock solid. They are know for calming down a "twitchy" bike. Heat up quick, exellent wet grip, cold also... give away w/ smooth notice. Easy to change. I have/had 6 sets, + azzaros... I LOVE 'EM!!!!!!!! They ARE heavy'r, compared to/ PP2/PPr's...
Avon has a awsome hazzard warrenty... get a flat outta the gate, you get a new one free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call up there techs... and get nitty gritty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only other tire in this catigory that I considerd are the new road smarts... FJR and many others love those too. A friend of mine w/ a newer gix6oo, got just over 6.2k outta the "smarts" w/ a K left in them.

I am greatfull for this site... old at bikes, new at TL's... I LOVE this place...
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free and clean, Ripp'n

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Welcome dude:thumbup

Steve, one other thing is I ran 40F/42Rpsi for commuting/slabbing, I'm sure that also cut down on wear quite a bit:)

For the record, by worn out at 20 I mean the wear indicators were about to touch. Some folks would probably go till bald in the middle which would I dunno, be another 2k probably.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey gang!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n the TLzone noob here...please excuse my "free form" atempts at comunications, it drives the PNWriders NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have run Azzaro's, now Storm st's on several bikes.
I just replaced the first set of Storms on my 00 zx12r, after about 6K, lack of E. wa corners took'em out in the centers. Fast (some times), and 270lbs... I was VERY HAPPY w/ them (got 'em again). Ran them on my 94 cbr1000f, got 8k... VERY HAPPY(got 'em again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got 'em for my 97 TL, 1k so far, 180/50 VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
Got 'em for my 88 gsx-r 1100 (uninstalled)

Overall... abit slower trasition than some profiles... but carve when line is achieved, rock solid. They are know for calming down a "twitchy" bike. Heat up quick, exellent wet grip, cold also... give away w/ smooth notice. Easy to change. I have/had 6 sets, + azzaros... I LOVE 'EM!!!!!!!! They ARE heavy'r, compared to/ PP2/PPr's...
Avon has a awsome hazzard warrenty... get a flat outta the gate, you get a new one free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call up there techs... and get nitty gritty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only other tire in this catigory that I considerd are the new road smarts... FJR and many others love those too. A friend of mine w/ a newer gix6oo, got just over 6.2k outta the "smarts" w/ a K left in them.

I am greatfull for this site... old at bikes, new at TL's... I LOVE this place...
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free and clean, Ripp'n
Wow dude you sound like you are buzzin:hail I total agree with you and glad im getting same mileage on my storms although like i said i didnt really need to change the front as it still had 3mm tread left after 6000k

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yup, great tyres. Had them on for about 2000 miles. Sticky in the wet and stickier in the dry.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
The weird thing Steve is the rubber feels quite soft to the touch and heats up quickly. It sticks much better than a BT020, D207or the OEM Metz Z-1 that came on the bike from the factory (and lasted a whopping 1500 miles) yet still lasts longer. I don't think its a direct trade-off between grip and life or life and hardness of the rubber. Part of the reason it lasts so long is that the tread is quite deep. I'm sure the tire is a fair bit heavier (when new anyway:laugh) than a new Pilot Power for example as it starts out with a lot more rubber. Can't say I noticed it though when riding.

A bridgestone 020 for example feels fairly hard to the touch and feels very hard when riding. It doesn't offer a ton of grip and is particularly bad in wet or cold conditions. In cold if pushed hard it will sort of chatter and skip sidways where most super sport tires or these avons will just push out smoothly. Oddly enough, despite being much harder than the Avons the 020 was shot by 14k IIRC. All these were on the TLS with the same suspension setup and same commute so about as controlled an environment as I'm likely to get without a lab of some sort.

That was the older one on the TLS that I got 20k miles from (did that twice, so results probably not anomalous for my conditions). I do think temperature had a lot to do with it as probably 2/3rds of those miles were in sub-50 degree temps and quite a lot of them were in sub-freezing temps. Also, most of those miles were with minimal luggage (just lunch, change of clothes and sometimes laptop, so less than 15lbs I'd guess and I'm 160lbs..).

I've only ridden the new Storm on the 919 and only put 3k miles on it. All of those 3k miles though were in warm weather heavily loaded (~100lbs) and about 300-400 of those miles were bucking a 60-70mph wind (from somewhere between a 45 deg angle and 90 deg angle) (no exaggeration:scared). There was some visible wear after the 3k miles, but not bad at all. I didn't measure the tread depth but I'd guess them to be about 1/4 worn.

I'm also probably a lot slower than you and 99% of my riding is for transportation purposes and not in conditions that would permit spirited riding (i.e. heavy traffic, tight cities, lots of cops etc). On the rare occasion that I do find an open twisty bit I don't mind scooting along at a decent pace, but still not as fast as you'd be I think. No track days either:(
:thumbup

Although 'feeling' softness can hardly be a test of grip or longitivity(sp) how do you do that? Dig a finger nail into it? Do that on my cage and you'll break you nail, but I can push that through a corner faster than my bike, but there are four of them and a wider contact patch. But it wont lift it's back wheels off the ground when braking hard. But they're a harder rubber and I'll be happy with 30K miles out of them.

Your temperatures are much lower than mine. I might head out when it's lower than 16C (~60F), but if it's not going to get higher than that I'm not riding. Typically my temps are between 20-30C (68-86C) with a few higher thrown in.

As far as track days go, I don't do more than one track day on a tyre and I've scrubbed more in on their first ride on the track than what I have on the road. Typically 250km (155 miles) on the track, the rest on the road. And what? 6 -8 heat cycles in a day. Is that different than 6-8 stops on a long distance day for food and fuel stops.

My OEM MEZ-1 (race) (which was an OEM compound, a replacement MEZ-1 (race) didn't have the same compound) got me 3855km with 1000km of running in (2400 miles total). So the 2nd rear I put on was a MEZ-1 non race compound and it gave me 3418km (~2100 miles). Less miles on a harder tyre. Then the MEZ-1's were discontinued so I ran with the MEZ-3's. I was told by my tyre man that because I was a mere mortal I couldn't detect the power pulses of the TL causing the harder longer life compound slip on each power stroke under hard acceleration. Softer rubber = longer life in the corners bu less on the straight bits. Harder compound = less life in the corners but longer life on the straight bits.

Then the MEZ-3's disappeared and I tried a Sportec M1 :rolleyes for 2687km (~1670 miles). Had my 1st real get me off the seat with an egg flipper slide on that thing (besides the steering stop bending tank slapper I had on my old GSXR, that put me into a 2 wheel slide on the final slap - wont find me telling people running without a steering damper is fine - even on a bike that didn't call for one as standard and that's beside the guy I nearly had a head on with as a tank slapper threw him over the high side on the exit on a corner on an FZR that didn't need a damper)

Your 175lbs is lighter than my 198lbs without luggage might have something to do with it too. But I'm still not going to get 20K miles out of anything.

I rarely speed or maintain high speeds, so only our 'average' speeds might be different because I don't mix it with commutng much. The GOR post I put up yesterday had a speed limit of 80km/h (50mph) which I tried to stick to, no hard acceleration or braking, concentrated on smoothness and rode 'the pace'. Tourists, school holiday traffic meant some of the time was spent below the posted limit, plus the 250km of constant straight flat roads to get there.

You say "I'm also probably a lot slower than you" that might not be the case at all, I might simply be harder on tyres than you even though we can nearly match on economy so who knows.

:rant If someone gave me a set for free I might try them and be a convert. But I'm too scared to spend my own hard earned cash on them. Paying a bit extra more often is still cheap insurance in my mind. It's not just the cost of the bike repairs in a low speed get off that play on my mind. Especially after personally seeing 14 motorbikes crash in front of me prior to 1996 ( 4 of them friends) on the GOR alone I worry about grip.

I guess at the end of the day when people ask for tyre advice, and people give tyre advice it's never going to be black and white.

Steve, one other thing is I ran 40F/42Rpsi for commuting/slabbing, I'm sure that also cut down on wear quite a bit:)

For the record, by worn out at 20 I mean the wear indicators were about to touch. Some folks would probably go till bald in the middle which would I dunno, be another 2k probably.
I'm a pressure player. I adjust mine before every ride depending on the day, my mood, the ride, etc. 32-33 for the track, 32-33 to 33-36 for a ride to 36-40 for a commute etc.

Mine are worn out when I say they are. :laugh This one was road legal when I left home in the morning, and without doing a single deliberate burnout it was worn out and puncture when I got home. Roadworthy to stuffed in 600km ~ 370miles. Wet roads, hard compound, less grip = more wear from a longer wearing tyre :laugh

No tread wear indicators to be seen (held its profile well though)...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
im gonna try these next as alex has loved them, and i have followed him and the profile looks so comfy to roll on!!!

to date tho (i get through a rear every two months) out all the tyres i have tried so far the BT-002R is the BEST by far, will probs only last 1500 miles max! mines gone after a month and a half... hard wheelies etc tho haha.

anyway, this would wheelie in the wet, and straight from cold as alex saw the other day.

but even all this, i still want to try the avons as how good they look to ride on... also the other day i couldnt believe how hot alexs where after about 5 mins of riding!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That all makes great sense Steve:thumbup I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice grip for longivity either, new plastics and such just cost too much. Not to mention hospital bills and such. For the sort of riding I usually do these things give more grip than anything else I've tried, particularly in the conditions where I'm most likely to find the limits of their grip (cold wet roads, sometiems with a touch of ice or snow). I can't give a great view on clean/dry grip because I rarely if ever find myself at the limits of traction on clean, dry roads with the tires warm. I did frequently find myself drifting the OEM Z-1's around corners a lot, even when warm and dry. For whatever reason it broke loose very early, but very controllably and given my dirt background I was all to happy to hang the arse end out in corners. Probably why I only got 1.5k out of the set:laugh I don't find myself breaking the avons loose and the bridgestones I had before that would skip and chatter rather than smoothly slide out.

I play with pressures a fair bit if I'm going to be doing something other than slabbing or commuting. I went up and down a bit when playing with the 919 on the tail of the dragon. I started out with my 40/42psi setup as I slabbed a couple thousand miles to get there and made a couple runs like that. It actually held quite well, but with the low speeds (the road is very tight, max speed for me about 60ish and average much, much lower) and many wet sections of the road I felt they weren't staying quite as warm as I'd like for peg dragging fun and they slipped just a tad when crossing wet spots. I dropped them to 36/36 and that was pretty much spot-on. Turn in was still great, not mushy and the tires stayed a bit warmer and stuck to the wet bits better. I got crazy and went 31/33 and that was too low in the front - it went a bit mushy. Still stuck well though and I made I think 3 runs that way.

For hardness, I was just digging in a finger nail. Also I find some tires feel hard when riding while others feel soft. These to me have a soft feel (don't skip/chatter, not harsh over bumps etc).

What I've never tested and where they may not be ideal is for extended hard riding in hot weather. They are so good cold and soft feeling that I'd not be surprised if it weren't too hard to get them to overheat and go greasy. I've not done it, but I've not been on a track and don't have any twisties long enough to allow flat-out riding for more than a few turns (in general). I did run a pretty spirited pace on the gap and made I think 3 runs back to back. They gummed up a little on the sides, but that's it. I wasn't blasting out of the corners super hard nor braking super hard into them. I did maintain as quick a corner speed as I knew how (ground clearance was the limiting factor).

Anyway, this is about as aggressive as I got with the storms. The temps were about 60ish IIRC, the road was quite cool as it rained hard that morning. The bits of road in the sun (like where the photog was hanging out) were dry, shaded bits were damp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts