TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am opening this can of worms allow me to answer the FAQs

The decomp opens an exhaust valve slightly when starting to make starting easier. This Auto-Decomp is on the the Exhaust CAM of each cylinder. The decomp system adds weight to the rotational mass of the CAM and therefore reduces "spin-up" time. Experts please correct me if I am wrong as 75% of the previously stated is an ASSumption.

Personally I like the low spin up time -when I am sittting in neutral I can give the throttle a quick twist and make a nice POW-SNORT better back the **** up kinda noise :laugh Lets people know I may be slow but watch out cause shit could shoot off the bike any time :laugh I want to remove them because I am getting really weird top end noises...

Anyway I want to remove the decomps without removing the CAM -is it possible?

-Chuck

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
No the cams have to come out. And it will add to top end noise, however it will spin up a little faster.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
take the scissor gears off too while you are at it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for any confusion the lines that reads:

The decomp system adds weight to the rotational mass of the CAM and therefore reduces "spin-up" time.

and

Personally I like the low spin up time

SHOULD read:

The decomp system adds weight to the rotational mass of the CAM and therefore increases "spin-up" time.

and

Personally I like the slow spin up time

Hey I know what I meant, unfortunately thats not what I wrote...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I knew what ya ment:)

Oh, and I do belive you'll get more whirring noise without the siscor gears than with them.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Chuck its not hard to remove everything, Just #1 dont get in a hurry on an all night assembly like I did. #2 take a hard look at all the timing marks with the valve covers removed and get familiar with it. It will help on assembly. Do 1 at a time, but since your on a TLR im not sure if you have to drop the engine or not.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
I removed my decomps, I left the scissors, I did it because I had to do something when I had the cams out.

I noticed no difference when starting the engine. I noticed no difference in acceleration. I noticed no difference in engine noise.

I did sleep better knowing there was something less that could go wrong :) http://www.wotid.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=60

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I have to pull the CAMs -when I checked the tappet clearance it looked like I could pull the CAMS without dropping the motor. I did hear a very distinct "TICK" like a broken valve spring when rotating the engine to TDC on the from cylinder -not sure if that is normal but if changing the front exhaust gasket and taking off the PCIII doesn't quiet the crazy engine noises I been having then the DECOMPS are gone.

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
if you dont want any odd sounds,leave the scissor gears well along. it rattles like shit without them. unless your racing and you want to remove all possible weight. it's not worth the time or the noise imho.:)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
If you had a broken valve spring, you'd know it.
You'd have had piston/valve contact by now and big issues.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jagboy1 said:
if you dont want any odd sounds,leave the scissor gears well along. it rattles like shit without them. unless your racing and you want to remove all possible weight. it's not worth the time or the noise imho.:)
Thanks for the heads up -I don't need any extra noise and I agree from what I have heard there is no good reason to remove the scissor gears.

Ryno said:
If you had a broken valve spring, you'd know it.
You'd have had piston/valve contact by now and big issues.
Yeah Ryno, I agree. The noise only happens when warm and I have put a couple hundred miles on her with the noise. With a broken spring I probably wouldn't have made it a mile before dropping the valve completely. I pretty sure its something stupid like my exhaust gasket. Thanks Ryno :cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine is still rattling when warm and its pissing me off and spoiling the TL experience for me, I would pay good money to sort it. Come to think of it i already have but cant find a fault.
been doing it the last 8 or 9000 miles now.
Any serious thought s exept TL Ticks Loud etc etc please? Anyone?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi, Iv tried tightening up the exhaust joint at the back of the engine. But its been rattling since it was nearly new but only when it gets warm :banghead

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Hi, Iv tried tightening up the exhaust joint at the back of the engine. But its been rattling since it was nearly new but only when it gets warm :banghead
Very likely that it's the springs in the scissor gears. A lot of early TL's had the cams replaced under warrenty from annoyed owners.

The ends of the springs wear into the outer scissor gear and it therefore looses it's tension and allows the gear to tick.

Only option is to throw in a lower milage set of cams

1 - 17 of 17 Posts