TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daft question but the '98 TLR I'm building has had the frame painted aluminium colour on the side of the main/swingarm castings and the welds on the headstock casting :dowhat

Did Suzuki do this to hide any welding tarnishing or has somebody else done it to tidy it up ?

Just seems too well done to be non genuine as I couldn't even tell until I was cleaning a few marks off with thinners :confused
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,251 Posts
No paint on mine. Probably someone just trying to make things look a bit better as you mentioned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,697 Posts
Downright odd. Usually it's all anodized. Does it look like he sanded it smoother? Otherwise I can't imagine it getting paint.
 

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not been sanded, I looked carefully to see if the sandcast finish is uneven to indicate some sort of repair, but I guess it was just done to tidy it up.

I was going to paint strip it, but it's that good a job it looks fine as it is.

Oh well thanks guys for your help, I thought it seemed a bit odd :laugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Fiche-man...Nice website mate.:) ..Some of those sprint tracks look a right laugh!.:dowhat Have you ever done the hill climb at Doune moter museum in Scotland? :O I dont know wether there was ever a bike class....or if it still runs anymore now that the museum has closed..(I think).

Have you raced much this yr? I just know you want to swap your Lovely S for my R...The weight helps smooth out the bumps you know!:devious :banghead
 

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The web site is in serious need of updating, there are quite a few more mods now, namely the GSXR K4 front end.

I've not been that far north with the Hillclimbing, but since I badly broke my wrist in February this year on the bloody CRF I've done very little as I couldn't ride for 4 months :banghead

Did the 3 day championship at Scarborough and returned to me old form but it was still very painfull, so decided to leave it for the rest of the year......although I couldn't resist entering a track day at Cadwell next month to keep the cobwebbs off :laugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
fiche-man said:
The web site is in serious need of updating, there are quite a few more mods now, namely the GSXR K4 front end.

I've not been that far north with the Hillclimbing, but since I badly broke my wrist in February this year on the bloody CRF I've done very little as I couldn't ride for 4 months :banghead

Did the 3 day championship at Scarborough and returned to me old form but it was still very painfull, so decided to leave it for the rest of the year......although I couldn't resist entering a track day at Cadwell next month to keep the cobwebbs off :laugh


I will keep watching for updates....Whats this TLR you speak of another race bike?. Bad luck on the wrist mate....broke/ chipped a bone in my left elbow when I was little so I know your pain well.
If you fancy offloading your S one day...keep me in mind please.
 

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a TLR Frame/forks/engine just for the engine, my origional plan was to sell the frame and forks to make it a cheap engine, but I had quite a lot of the bits needed to build it into a complete bike and with the bodykit I bought of TLMonkey it became viable. Just got the lock stop TIG'd this morning, so a bit of milling will see the frame good as new and the start of another project :confused

I've managed to buy a set of brand new unstamped crank cases, so the next project will be building up the Yosh Engine I've had stored away........

I can't bare to sell the TLS at the moment as I would have to break it to get anywhere near the money back out of it.

I'm hoping the winter will give the wrist time to heal fully (as good as it will get anyway) and revitalise my enthusism for racing which is extremely lacking at the moment :dowhat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
fiche-man said:
I bought a TLR Frame/forks/engine just for the engine, my origional plan was to sell the frame and forks to make it a cheap engine, but I had quite a lot of the bits needed to build it into a complete bike and with the bodykit I bought of TLMonkey it became viable. Just got the lock stop TIG'd this morning, so a bit of milling will see the frame good as new and the start of another project :confused

I've managed to buy a set of brand new unstamped crank cases, so the next project will be building up the Yosh Engine I've had stored away........

I can't bare to sell the TLS at the moment as I would have to break it to get anywhere near the money back out of it.

I'm hoping the winter will give the wrist time to heal fully (as good as it will get anyway) and revitalise my enthusism for racing which is extremely lacking at the moment :dowhat

you could always build a TL supermoto out of the TLR gear :devious






when im happy with the TLs i think this maybe my next project :devious
honistly i dont think it will be that hard to make :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
Loki-TLR said:
:hail

I wonder if the wheels can cope with the torque of the TL? How is it called.. TL1000 Z? :devious
i cant see why not thicker stainless spokes a must.
by the look of it the jap guy races it so it must be ok. for it to pass scrutinering :O

even made out of a honda vtr 1000 firestorm or a wrecked SP1 at least you can enjoy the mono's with out the bottem end worries. the later would be better :)

sorry fiche-man a bit off subject :)
just a suggestion on the possability project of the TLR parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
painted frame sounds like covering up welding from a crash damage... its a lot of trouble to go to just to clean the bike up. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
fiche-man said:
I can't bare to sell the TLS at the moment as I would have to break it to get anywhere near the money back out of it.

Bah ...You Sir are a humbug:laugh Quite right though....:banghead
 

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
veetwo tls said:
sorry fiche-man a bit off subject :)
just a suggestion on the possability project of the TLR parts.
No worries, I was quite impressed with the supermoto pictures :hail

God knows how many spun crank bearings he must go through :laugh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
fiche-man said:
No worries, I was quite impressed with the supermoto pictures :hail

God knows how many spun crank bearings he must go through :laugh
yeh thats why i suggested a SP1-2 or storm you can make use of the fun factor.

its a pitty the TL range have the bottom end bearing problem its its achilles heel realy.
dont anyone get me wrong the :hail TL are a bloody dam good bike except the bottom end bearings :(

its a future project im seriously looking at suzuki or honda but its definitely going to be a 1000 v-twin. something the neighbour aint going to buy out of the shop :)
 

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
Joined
·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
veetwo tls said:
its a future project im seriously looking at suzuki or honda but its definitely going to be a 1000 v-twin. something the neighbour aint going to buy out of the shop :)
How about the swedish V-Twin Folan Engine :devious

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
fiche-man said:
How about the swedish V-Twin Folan Engine :devious

[/QUOTE



now thats trick :yes
looks fun :)

i planing on keeping mine road redgistured :devious
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top