TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

been dreaming for a new motorbike while i was on my way to china, and i have been looking around since i got back.

Potential contenders:

- KTM superduke 990
- KTM 990 SM-T or SM
- Aprilia Dorsoduro SMV750
- Aprilia Shiver 750
- Ducati Monster 1100 (new style)
- Ducati Hypermotard 1100
....i guess you got the idea:

naked V-twin or supermotard V-twin, agressive, but needs to be a little bit practical. NO RACE BIKES anymore, never. :devious

So i testdrove a Dorsoduro today, and that was the bike i thought would best capture what i needed, so i had high expectations.

Sound:
This bike had a 1/2 system Leovince with carbon cans, and catalysator delete, and it sounded really brilliant. I don't think i would ever miss the TL sound when riding the dorsoduro. It's a 90° V-twin, and you can hear and feel it. Great!

Looks:
This is one of the prettiest bikes i have ever seen. Of course this is personal, but the details are really beautifully crafted, and nothing looks cheap.

Brakes:
I had heard of the front brake being too extreme for normal street riding, but i didn't feel it that way. I think the master cylinder has a smaller size than the one on my raptor, because initial braking felt softer, but when you pull a bit harder, the stopping power is there. Very good feel, and good power. nothing wrong with that setup! The forks don't dive all that much, even for a supermotard-setup with long legs. Rear brake worked, what more is there to tell about it? :laugh

Suspension:
I am no riding god, so i cannot give you any technical shit. The ride felt good, somewhat on the hard side (but in a good way, it felt planted), but maybe that was because of the hard saddle.
The bike steered perfectly neutral, and very easily flicked from one side to another. Let's say on a par with the raptor. The bike does feel a tad lighter than the raptor when actually on the move. No significant forkdive when on the brakes.
In general: very good IMO. My slow ass could do some trackdays on it, no problemo. Traveling would be good too.

Riding position:
Very relaxed, or very agressive....you choose. Very roomy seat, hard but comfortable. I think no problem for long highway blasts. Wind protection is OK, no problem at all at 120kph highway speed.

Sooo, untill now, a really perfect bike for me, everything works superdooper, and feels a bit more tight than my ageing raptor...

But then there's the engine:

engine:
dorsoduro: 750 L-twin, 92hp, around 80Nm torque at 4500 RPM
raptor: 996 L-twin, 105hp, 90NM torque at 7000 RPM

so all in all, not too big of a step back, and as i almost never go above 7000 rpm on my bike (except for track), i thought i could do with a little less power.

but i can't. :(

Maybe it was because the engine only had 500kms on it, and it had to be run in first, but it felt pretty gutless to be honest. I didn't go over 6000RPM because of the run-in period, but it felt like it was running out of steam already.

The initial kick you get at 4500RPM is great, but half a second later, the fun is over, and the power 'stalls'...big contrast to the TL engine which wants to go higher and higher, and constantly rushes you forward. I was really disappointed with this strange engine character, with peak torque coming very early, and then fading away...

I tried the T (touring) mapping, which makes the bike perfect for putting along in traffic at very low revs. The S (sport) mapping is a bit snatchy in town, difficult to use the bike's full potential with the engine lurching and doing things you don't want at low revs.

What a difference with the TL engine, which is 10 years old, and has a prehistoric 'Schneider 64' ECU on it, compared to the sophisticated dorsoduro engine management: the TL engine is superdocile in town, and runs superb smooth at low revs, on my particular bike even useable from tickover. Without a change in mapping, wind open the throttle, and you get a kick that very few bikes give...

The sophisticated motormanagement doesn't hide the fact that it is 'only' a 750cc twin, and i was wrong in believing that i would not miss the big bang of a thousand cc V-twin. I do. Very much so...it felt great riding the raptor home.

I think i'm gonna wait till the dorsoduro 1200 comes out, maybe that'll float my boat :devious

cheers,
jan

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is drop dead gorgeous though... :drool :hail :thumbup :hail :clap

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
nice writeup! :thumbup

looks like fun

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
nice write up :thumbup

I'm surprised with the power figures being so close tha tyou disliked it that much. was it the delivery? :O

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, got a good initial kick at around 4000 rpm, but after a split second, the engine sortof stopped pulling, very strange. I know it is a twin, and i don't need that many revs, but still i would expect the torque to stay more or less the same untill 8 or 9000 RPM...

maybe it was the low mileage?

the gearbox definately needed to be run in yet...very hard to find neutral, but otherwise OK.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nice looking bike and I'd imagine great fun on the twisties but not at all practical for distance/motorways - no wind protection.
There's no substitute for cc's don't they say?
I'm finding the Superduke fantastic in terms of handling and pretty good power-wise (not to mention the crisp newness compared to a 12 year old bus!)
I'd recommend a test ride if you haven't already.
Everything under 80mph the SD does better than the TL in my view (and is therefore probably better for keeping your licence!) :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ehhh, wind protection is no problem, i'm riding naked bikes for 4 years now...done a trip of 10.000kms on a naked raptor 1000, over 1000 highway kms in one day...not a problem at all ;) i have a very big neck now though :laugh

the SD indeed is (on paper) a thing that i really want, but it is damn expensive...too much for my wallet at the moment. but i think it looks awesome, and it probably goes like stink! :hail

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Nice writeup. I've heard they are a bit slow/heavy, but otherwise well built. if they can make it a 1200 and keep the weight about the same they'll have something:devious

You might take a second spin on the ducati hypermotard. I know you rode one a while ago, but didn't like it too much iirc (??). When Will and I rode them I was underwhelmed with the regular model's handling, but then rode an S model which had different and much better tires and absolutely loved it. I don't think there's a thing wrong with the regular model other than the tires though and the ducati guy hinted that they made a much bigger difference than the shiny gold suspension bits:laugh

The HM also has less power than a TL, but up to 6k rpm or so it flat out stomps, pulling hard than a TL. After 6k, the TL would overtake it I think.

I'm also intruiged by the Highland 950. It is a much older design and more dirt-bikeish and I'm sure less reliable and less sophisticated, but it is really a whole lot lighter weight than all the others and I think its just pretty darn cool:drool

I also really like what these folks do with multistrada's (or pretty much any ducati) http://www.ducati-kaemna.de/cms_en/tu_example.htm?&ct=31 (note the ~105rwhp with kits up to 115 :devious lots of tq too - 118nm+)

Still really hard to beat your raptor I'd think:hail

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Nice writeup. I wanted to try this Aprilia for some time now.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
At the end of the day, whatever the figures say, it's still giving away 250cc :O

Jan - what "map" were you running :O It has three settings on the right-hand switch block - "wet" (flat as a fart) "normal" (just flat) and "sport" (the only setting worth using :laugh) ...... wwere you riding aropund in "normal" :O

When I rode one on the Aprilia test days last year I was stunned by it :hail on the roads around here it felt light, flickable and the engine punchy. Yes, a little flat compared to the TL, but not a million miles away :confused It also confused me when Rufer posted the weight figures - no way does it feel as heavy as the figures suggest. I absolutely adored it, but have no money for a new bike ......... :bawling

The wind protection I didn't find to be an issue - even on a 10 mile 90mph motorway blast :dowhat but the fuel range is even worse than the TL (80-90 miles) :banghead

I agree though - I can see me having to sell one of the kids to be able to buy a 1200 when it comes out :devious

edit: Oh, forgot to say, the ones we rode had literally come straight from the factory 2 days earlier, and the first one I took out had 62 miles on the clock :dowhat

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I was just thinking about the ducati 2v motors and where they might be headed.

If by chance they modded the 2v lump to take 1198 pistons and heads (wouldn't be too much design work I'd think - just have to re-do the heads for air cooling and cast bigger barrels:O) that would give 1262cc which combined with 4v heads would give a really stomping motor I'd think, probably without a significant weight penalty....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Its nice looking but it looks like its tried to be styled to look aggressive and stooped half way. if your gonna go big SM its 990 superduke all the way

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Its nice looking but it looks like its tried to be styled to look aggressive and stooped half way. if your gonna go big SM its 990 superduke all the way
The SD isn't an SM, the SM is the SM :dowhat :laugh :laugh

Personally I prefer the Dorso to the big Katoom's visually :confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The KTM's frighten me. Just too many 950 and 990 adventures showing up on advrider with serious motor problems and engine wear with lowish miles (like 40k and under). Now it may be due to some poor maintenance or early model defects, I just don't know, but I'd be nervous. I'd be nervous with the highland too, but I'd be nervous and 100lbs lighter (and half the price) :laugh They also have more typical issues such as waterpump seals that go out with enough frequency that may there have taken to carrying spares with them and replacing very 20k miles for good measure (not too unlike a TL there I suppose:laugh).

then there's the odd bike where Mr. KTM forgot to tighten the clutch bolts or didn't make the cam quite right.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey moose, i had it on sport mapping. I know for sure, because the difference between sport and touring is very big. Never tried rain mapping, as it was dry. ;-)

the sport mapping is shit for town use by the way...touring mapping is 10 times better.

anyway, i've seen something else for sale, dirt cheap: an almost new 2006 ducati monster S4RS in white :devious It has all the goodies already. 130+ hp, and more torque than the TL down low...that should satisfy my needs :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh nice! I really like the way the previous generation monsters look, much cleaner than the current stuff imho! I'm not sure it'll have more go than a TL, but it should run mighty strong. I've not seen an S4 on a dyno, but had my TLS back to back with a 998 (owner said stock except for exhaust, "race" chip, airfilter and some sort of airbox mod IIRC) on a dyno. Very near even, but the TLS (mine, stock except for akro exhaust and PCII) just bested it across the rpm range:devious

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Pity Honda never built this :)

Of course the TLR monster motard is the standard by which all others of this type are judged. Pity about those crank bearings though :lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts