TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks
toying with the idea of picking up a used Aprilia RS250 track bike. Can anyone shed some insight as to what I am getting myself into with owning one. I keep hearing about having to rebuild top ends and bottom ends on these bikes. What's the realistic period between tear-downs and rebuilds? What's the usual cost involved with regard to rebuilding and parts? How hard are these bikes to work on? How hard are engine parts to get for these now that they are no longer a retail sale bike here in the US?
I am mechanically experienced, just have no time on two strokes.
thanks
Ken

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...PM Denee Cole - she had a priller 250....

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've not had an RS, but I've raced MX bikes which have very similar motors. With good care (clean air filter, good pre-mix oil) they last amazingly well. I got a season of hard riding/racing out of a 125 with no problem at all (an RS250 is basically two 125's).

For MX bikes, top ends are ~$100 and are very easy to do - easier than adjusting valves on a TL. Given that the RS is a two cylinder I suspect you can more or less double the cost and add perhaps 50% more time (some of the time is getting to stuff and draining coolant etc) for the job.

If its any help, the RS250 uses an RGV250 (suzuki) motor.

have fun

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I just did my first top end rebuild on my dirt bike. Never had any experience with two stroke maintenance in the past. It was fairly easy. The first time is always a pain in the ass for anything, but I think when I have to do it again it'll be much easier and faster. I'd love to have one of those bikes and I'd not shy away from it due to the routine maintenance.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I had myself an Aprilia RS250 race (track) bike. Brilliant bike for corners :devious

Basically cost me $400 AUD for parts to rebuild two cylinders. Parts were easy to get too. The RS is easy to work on as well :thumbup

:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I should have said, I would expect a street bike to last longer than a similar mx bike because the operating environment is so much cleaner - ingesting dirt is what really kills two strokes.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
The rgv motor was known to have a fault on the power valve, pins coming loose and causing alot of damage i think. Not sure weather it is a problem on the RS though. From what i can remember the RS had modified heads and barrels.Just found this about them.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Aprilia_RS250__Review_5134235

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well if you gonna race it you won't need the powervalves anyway!

And because there's no cams/valves etc stuff it's quite easy to work on. 2 strokes in general are easier to kill with bad a/f ratio tho.

Do you want to tune it a bit? I mean change porting and have an exhaust made to get more power/rpms? Maybe ignition without lightspool etc, tiny flywheel..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the information gents, ,much appreciated, I have a local RS250 track bike lined up to see in the near future. Lots of mods and spares too.
Ken

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'm jealous as hell.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to put the 250 motor into a RS50 chassic :devious

·
Registered
3,289 Posts