TLZone Forums banner

anyone good on 2 strokes??

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  vtwin-nutter 
#1 ·
Long story short, ive been given a kawasaki kmx 125 which has been stood for a year or 2, its been partialy stripped, so ive put back together all the important bits like switches and stuff just to get it running before i clean her up properly, ive replaced the plug, gear oil, stripped the carb and cleaned out the jets, added fresh fuel, made sure the float bowl is getting fuel with bleed screw at bottom and it is, there is defo a spark confirmed with plug on frame test but wont fire up, there is loads of compression but doesn't seem to be dragging the fuel through to make it fire, i did a naughty by spraying hairspray in the airbox and she ran briefly i know its a bad idea but i know it will run, so what do you guys think? air leak? carb knacked??

#6 ·
Check that your reeds are good with no cracks/chips. Also see that they sit flat on the reed cage. If not don't flip them, buy new ones. Those reeds are like a check valve and keep the fuel charge moving forward into the motor.

What is loads of compression? I'm guessing that motor's probably going to get fussy below 120 pounds.

If you had an air leak and were able to start it, it would likely rev uncontrollably to the moon until you hit the killswitch.

Lastly it would start anyways, but I noticed you didn't mention premix oil? Don't forget that, usually at 32:1 or 40:1. Those high-revving motors really like a castor based oil, like castor 927. Always use premium as the premix oil brings your octane down a couple points.

#7 ·
clean the carb again. take the centre emulsion tube out and clean it and the body . clean the air passages to the idle jet .
you probably missed a few spots here and there.

PM me if you still have trouble.

#8 ·
:stupid probably just a plugged low-speed jet (they are super-tiny).

#9 ·
You can also pressure test the motor. One that's been sitting is bound to have a few air leaks in the case or in the boot area to the carburators. +1 for the dirty carb...two stroke mix doesn't store well and might be an issue within the carb.
I would also open the head and check the condition of the head o-rings and have a look at the piston, head and cylinder.

#10 ·
:stupid's

clean the carb again (pull out all jets, etc. AND dont forget the fuel screws!, just remember how far out they were turned), compression/leakdown test, check the reeds, etc.

if it runs on hairspray chances are the engine is ok, just need to do a more thorough carb cleaning :yes

#11 ·
UPDATE; Removed inlet rubber and checked the reeds and to be fair they look like they're in really good nick and i could see one side of the piston and not a score in sight which was promising so i stripped the carb again and found some scale or something nestled inside the jets which i pressume may have come out the tank??? anyhows i soaked the whole job lot in bits in a tub of TFR (traffic film remover) and the amount of shite that emerge suprised me as i thought i had got it all. anyway after reassembling the carb and a few mins of kicking, she runs,:clap, BUT it revs it's knackers off thats with the throttle backed off as much as poss on every adjuster, so as previously suggested i may have an air leak??? so where would it leak air and how far down should the slide sit when off throttle? also its an autolube model but ive premixed the fuel incase it dont work. Anymore suggestions folks??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.