TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I may have torn something in my shoulder the other day at work but I'm not sure. I can do most movements but when I move it in a certain direction it feels like my shoulder joint is on fire. I had been using a ratchet pretty much for 3 hours straight with my right arm and happened to be in a position to catch a 50 lb metal cover with my right arm to keep it from hitting the ground and since that I've had a considerable amount of pain in the shoulder joint. The muscles don't hurt at all but the joint does. I've had issues with it before working on my cars (to the point where I have to stop working and just lay there while the pain slowly passes.) but never this bad.

·
Registered
871 Posts
if it starts to feel good but it hurts any time yoou make the wrong move it could be the rotor cuff they will try to give you cortizone shots but that is a temporary fix!
my friend had to have his rotor cuff scraped out !

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll tell you how I tore mine but no laughing....BOWLING....about 100 games a week back when I was younger and dumber...Not a Pro, just a decent amatuer with free lane time anytime I wanted...16lb. hanging off your arm for 2-4 hours a day does wonderful things to the whole arm. Carpal tunal syndrome, ligament damage in elbow
and torn rotator. Nothing more embarassing than going to SportMed with all the REAL jocks for rehab and your in for a Bowling injury......Pain and numbness for life, but I refuse to get cut or scraped when all I had to do was quit the activity. I feel it riding sometimes but I've changed my riding position with high bars and a LSL top triple and have gone to the "streetfighter" crowd. SC

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
An MRI will tell the tale. Repair is via arthroscopic surgery and it is not that bad. A little physical therapy with hot looking and caring PT girl, and you are back on the road.

If it happened at work, be sure to report it so Workers Comp can pay :devious

·
Registered
871 Posts
tlzook said:
I'll tell you how I tore mine but no laughing....BOWLING....about 100 games a week back when I was younger and dumber...Not a Pro, just a decent amatuer with free lane time anytime I wanted...16lb. hanging off your arm for 2-4 hours a day does wonderful things to the whole arm. Carpal tunal syndrome, ligament damage in elbow
and torn rotator. Nothing more embarassing than going to SportMed with all the REAL jocks for rehab and your in for a Bowling injury......Pain and numbness for life, but I refuse to get cut or scraped when all I had to do was quit the activity. I feel it riding sometimes but I've changed my riding position with high bars and a LSL top triple and have gone to the "streetfighter" crowd. SC
that'll do it,mine hurts when i'm doing bench presses or butterflies at the gym it really stops me from pushing more wieght then i should be able to push!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
mine was dodging a deer but i know it is damaged and all i can say is it takes alot longer than you think to repair...orthoscopic can help but can also be just a painful during recovery i have been working the kinks out a little at a time and am about 80% back to normal 6 months later....still finding bad positions and not sure it will ever be 100% but will not let it stop me from doing what i want just slows me down +1 about workmans comp if you did it at work need to let them know also therapy is always good lots of quties out there

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would do the workmans comp but the Navy would just look at me and laugh. I may try to get it looked at after my next deployment, which is coming up real soon.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
yep did mine in 95....fell out of bed of all things and dislocated my shoulder which fooked up my rotator cuff:banghead :lol
get treatment mate....it took 6/7 years before mine was 100% :dowhat i had pain in it for that length of time when i lifted my arm above 90 deg

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I have pain like you described, but its from Arthritice (rhumo, not osto, I'm not that old:p). Prednizone does wonders:hail

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
It is a pity long term use of prednisone is bad for you, otherwise I would pop it like vitamins. I become super agro Duke in the gym when I was on that stuff. :devious

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I destroyed my shoulder back in 95. PLaying football, I dislocated my shoulder and tore all of the ligaments off the bone, and tore part of my rotator cuff. I had to have 2 surgeries to have it fixed. The recovery from the surgery is PAINFULL but now I can go in the gym and bench 365 with minimal pain. Since I'm in the Army I had an Army Dr. do the last and only sucessful surgery. Dr. Doukas is a world known Ortho Doc, and did an OUTSTANDING job on my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi, I'm a physical Therapist assistant and have worked with many many Rotor cuff tears, partial, full, dislocations, etc. the burning you're describing is like a tendon tear. It's a signal your body is telling you take it easy for a while, rest, ice(within 72 hours of insult), moist heat thereafter, can alternate with cold and hot if you wish.
Generally an orthopedic MD would want to do an MRI or arthrogram to see what's possibly wrong. Xray shows only bone,arthritis, joint capsule space, bone spurs.

Do not do range of motion as in checking to make sure it still hurts! Rest it for a few days if possible, then start specific range of motion activities. If it was a full tear, you would probably know it, partial tears are difficult to diagnose and generally a conservative approach to "fix" would be Physical therapy. Time consuming, expensive(if you don't have insurance), probably be Worker related, so Workers comp would take affect, but you have to report it to your supervisor ASAP.

I can't tell you everything you need to know in a matter of a few paragraphs. If youd like to talk, you're more than welcome to call me and discuss your signs and symptoms.
That would go for anyone here. I've been a PTA since 1993 and worked on many musculoskeletal problems be it injury or the aging process.
Denee'
832-607-9116

PS: if you can help it, try not have an endoscopic/arthroscope. Have the MRI first, if it shows something significant, then the "repair". It's a tough rehab after the surgical repair!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I tore mine after a fall while sking. Landed hard on my left shoulder, hurt like hell! After a few months I began experiencing my shoulder dislocating during certain activities. It started happening more frequently some times in my sleep if I positioned my arm above my head. Getting it to pop back in hurt even more than the injury!

Finally went in for the operation, they had to reattach the muscle to the bone, that's what keeps the joint together. rehab took a long time -6 months just to get to use my arm again with limited external rotation! After about a year I regained most of the movement back but I still have to be careful not to over stress it. I work out at the gym for strength trainning and I swim alot but it's still weaker than my right arm.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:bawling I dislocated mine riding in the bush 7 years ago, got an arthroscope after 2 years of popping out frequently then another one due to another bush crash and then got a full rebuild 2 years ago. Its still notr up to strength but is a hell of a lot better than it was.
Got so bad it was poppin out when i woke up and hadf a stretch in the morning:bawling
Get it sorted out asap youll feel heaps better for it.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Denee Cole said:
Generally an orthopedic MD would want to do an MRI or arthrogram to see what's possibly wrong. Xray shows only bone,arthritis, joint capsule space, bone spurs.
:stupid They did an Xray on me and it showed nothing, then after a couple of years of experiencing subluxations (sp?) they decided to do an MRI and thay showed EVERYTHING!!!

Denee Cole said:
PS: if you can help it, try not have an endoscopic/arthroscope. Have the MRI first, if it shows something significant, then the "repair". It's a tough rehab after the surgical repair!
Oh so true!!!! I had to do the rehab TWICE :banghead. I never want to do that again!!!

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
I dislocated my shoulder in 95 playing ice hockey. My coach popped it back in and I didn't see a doctor. Had problems with it all the time. In 2002 was deployed in U.A.E. and dislocated it again installed and aircraft generator. I got am MRI 3 months later in the States and I tore my Labrum (not to be confused with female anatomy) and the bicep tendon. I had my shoulder scoped by the Air Force during the operation a piece of the scope broke off inside my shoulder so they had to make an incision to retreive it. I never realized how bad my shoulder had been all those years until after the operatio becase it feels 110% now.

You should probably have it looked at because your rotator cuff could be okay, but don't rule out the possibility of it being something else. I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never tore my rotator cuff but I'm starting Physical Therapy this week for an AC separation. I'm hoping that does that trick. Otherwise surgery is in my future.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I used to tell my patients, after you've injured your body in a particular area, and it's "repaired", you'll always have a "glich", something to remind you that it's still there! Just because a doctor repairs it, it's not like replacing a part on a motorcycle and it's like new again! The repaired area is just never quite the same and always has to be favored/protected voluntarily. And ye who have had injury and given specific rehab exercises need to continue them! Re-injury is worse!
I rarely see anyone stretching prior to racing/track days. Stretching prepares the body and protects tendons and muscles, we need flexibility when falling, crashing, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Duken4evr said:
It is a pity long term use of prednisone is bad for you, otherwise I would pop it like vitamins. I become super agro Duke in the gym when I was on that stuff. :devious

Yeah, but that initial spike in cardio ability also goes away quickly unless you keep upping the dosage. I've been on a pretty low dosage since I was 10. It was great for the first couple weeks:lol - it also decreases bone and muscel mass or so I'm told

1 - 20 of 30 Posts