TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked one up off eBay last year for the heck of it. It has a differential mode, where you would just adjust for least difference between the throttle bodies, but the darned thing samples so quick it just ain't gonna work. I have some hose restrictors I purchased when I was shopping for a Motion Pro sync tool. I guess I could try to se if those improve things. Or would that make them worse?

What I can do is set the meter in record mode on a single throttle body and switch over to average mode. Balancing would be a a bit of a drag going back and forth between throttle bodies, but it seems like it would be fairly accurate, as long as I got the indicated vac very close on both cylinders. Or, am I missing something? Between the different pressure formats, I should be able to get a reading that's pretty darned accurate.

I've got a feeling I'll end up having to go buy some tubing and make my own sync tool. I was just hoping to avoid that.

-Matt

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I got them from BikeBandit. IIRC, they came with the permanent hose adapters I purchased from them.

-Matt

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
go to the local fish and aquarium shop and get some taps and tees. the taps make good adjusatble restrictors and the you can set up a multi tap and tee arangement to do the sampling

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is some seriously high tech stuff, but I just make a gentle bend in each hose and put a rubber band on it. Might have to adjust it a bit, but does a good job of smoothing out those pulses.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RASAFRASAMUTHAFRASA!

Okay, I gave up on the digital vacuum meter. Then resorted to making one with 1/4 tubing. Damned thing ain't right either. Frustrating stuff! I think I got too much ATF fluid in the tube. Screw it all, I'm going to try to find a MotionPro manometer tomorrow. Tired of friggin with this home brew stuff.

-Matt

·
Registered
604 Posts
Haha, join the club!

I tried a digital manometer I got from work, but hell, that thing was super sensitive....all over the place with the readings. i tried restricting the hoses in various ways and places, no joy!
I ended up making a home made setup with plastic two liter bottel blanks and the manometer's pipes. Wasnt a pretty sight, but it worked!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try again tomorrow with two glass bottles and a couple of stoppers. And then I'm going to order a Morgan Carbtune to put in the toolbox for the next time I need to do the job. The Carbtune doesn't use any liquids, which for some reason really appeals to me right now. Maybe that's because there's ATF all over the garage floor. :(

-Matt

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just use one of the ball bearing dealies. It's simple enough to do when you've only got the two TBs, they're cheap, and they work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts