TLZone Forums banner

Any Range Rover Fans?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  denviks 
#1 ·
I was going to pick up a TLR in Austin last week until the guy added to his Craig's list page his name over at TLP. I did a search there on him and the bike and it turned out not sounding so good anymore - tons of problems from what it read like.

I was also supposed to take my oldest daughter down with me and check out a Land Rover for her first car so we went.
Well she thought it was too big for her and wanted something smaller, I thought it would make a nice spare vehicle for me so I paid for it anyways. :devious

No real problems with it other than the previous owner removing the AES and replacing it with coil springs, undecided if I want to put it back to original or not.

Here's a few pics.

Sure makes crossing the tank trails on the way to work a bit more comfortable then the Saab did.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a huge fan of them, but have done some work on them. Stay away from 1999 models if you can as they have nearly never-ending power steering issues it seems. The others aren't too bad, but in general seem less robust and more finicky than most suv's. They do drive nice for a truck though.

#9 ·
Oh ya, it's a 1999 model. :spit
:doh well hopefully it already crapped out and the PO had everything taken care of. I think the replacement parts are of a new design but my memory is foggy on that one. I was working on one in 2001 and remember that the '99 had issues that later ones didn't with the power steering.

#5 ·
wouldent mind one of these V8 +400hp :banana

#6 ·
well almost 400
390 hk (284KW) vid 5 750 v/m
550 Nm vid 3 500 v/m

#7 ·
I hear Range Rover owners allways 'wave an oily hand' at eachother..

:laugh

Oh, and what's the difference between a land-rover and a range rover :O
Has me puzzled since I visited Scotland again, but I must admit I didn't investigate it thorougly.

#8 ·
lots of fans of those in chelsea!! :laugh, so called the chelsea tractor here!!

#11 ·
Just kidding Ed,

I would love to own such a tool, but I haven't got the space (yet) and the operational cost in the Netherlands are quite high (fuel and taxes).

Just as I knew the TLS wasn't faultless and friends told me not to get one because this and that, I like to own, ride and keep riding underdogs just to prove them wrong. I also owned Ford Sierra's for that reason.

I don't mind getting greasy hands now and than because I can fix it. Other people get dirty and mess it up even more.

Good luck with it.

#12 ·
Worked on the rover breakdown hotline in 2001 for a year. not a pretty sight. hope all the stuff's fixed. electric window winders were a particular weakness. dashboards peeled. immobilisers died. And STARTER MOTORS. If it stops turning its toast!! no margin for wear. just toast!!

On the up side it looks like a real nice unit, so lets hope it treats you well.

#14 ·
The engines are good, but all things electrical WILL fail ........ the previous owner did the right thing in ditching the air suspension - never, ever, consider going back :coocoo it WILL fail with major expense.
That is not a model destined for the RR hall of fame unfortunately, but as you fix the bits that go wrong, they do become good :devious:laugh:laugh:laugh

#15 ·
Other than eating up gas like candy it's doing quite well. I really only got it as a backup vehicle to get back and forth to work on and go out to dinner a few times a month with the family. The only off road it will see is the tank trail on the way to work and possibly the boat ramp at the local lake. It's kind of like having a ford explorer with a little more luxury, well a lot more actually.

Lucky for me I haven't paid a dime for gas in the last year - one of the perks of my job. :banana

#16 ·
hell yea there hot

#17 ·
Just to make you happy:

In the Netherlands you can have a 1999 V8 for about € 7.000,-
Road tax will be € 1.136,- a year.
Gasoline is € 1,58/litre = € 6,00/USGallon = $ 8,83/USGallon at the moment
Insurance (third party only) about € 400,- a year for a cautious person like me. An 18 year old would pay about € 1.200,- a year.

We prefer the Diesel ones
Road tax will then be € 1.956,- a year, fuel price € 1,40/litre = $ 7,82.USG
Insurance will be a bit more expensive just like the sale price.

Then again, in at most 300km we're "Abroad", Assen track is just 75km, Zandvoort 125km Nurburgring 300km and Oschersleben 475km. Tulips 125km, Walibi 100km, Lakes everywhere and we can allways take our bicycle without getting run over.:devious

#18 ·
we can allways take our bicycle without getting run over
at those prices there wouldn't be any cars to contend with!!

#19 ·
Although not a RR, my Defender 90 has given me a little over 100,000 trouble free miles. Everything mechanical is original including the clutch. As for expensive, I do all my own repairs/maintenance (when needed) and I have a local RR shop that sells OEM parts at 1/3 the price of the dealer. The owner used to be the head mechanic at the local RR/LR dealership that went under. He saw a need for a good RR/LR mechanic in the area and opened up his own shop.

#20 ·
nice looking p38 :devious..

been a land rover fan now for years and love em to bits. currently running a modded 110 defender but had an old discovery that was well modded too.

thing with these are no matter how many problems they do have they are all fixable at home.....( or most are )....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.