TLZone Forums banner

Any interest in TL/SV Big Bore Cylinders?

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
Any interest in Big Bore cylinders for SV's or TL's out there? I know there is a few company's that offer this, but their prices seem a bit high to me.

Reason I ask, is a good friend of my mine is a performance machinist and just re-sleeved a set of SV and TL cylinders for me. I will be using these in a off-road application.

The cylinders were machined on a RMC CNC center. We were able to achieve a 103mm bore safely.

I would also like to send a set to someone to test for us. All we would need, would be to order a set of pistons. I am a dealer for CP, so that won't be a problem. I would also like this person to be local to Southern California.

My project is using the SV engine in a small off road buggy. I want someone to test these for us in a bike application.

Any other questions, please feel free to PM me and I will provide my email and phone #.

#2 ·
Kendall Berg is doing something similar and already has a scource for the pistons. I recall head gasket reliability been an ongoing issue :dowhat

I race +2mm in my engine but I'm in the UK and also my season has just finished until April next year now :banghead

#11 ·
I think you are referencing Stew's issue...If I recall correctly he used a gasket dressing type product and not a quality sealer on the copper gasket and consequently leaked water into the cylinder.
I did however find out that one product made by Three Bond here in the US was possibly not compatible with copper and could cause some corrosion long term part #1140, I have been using Suzuki black sealer with no problems.
I have used multi layered steel and on the 1140 there were problems with the gasket splitting in places, that was done on a test motor quite sometime ago and since then I use copper routinely on all TLR motors.K

#3 ·
That is one of my main concerns. And Kendall is not too far from me. I beleive he is using copper head gaskets?

I would like and try to CNC cut the factory head gasket out to accept the larger bore. As we do in the Honda car world for our sleeved blocks.

#4 ·
That is one of my main concerns. And Kendall is not too far from me. I believe he is using copper head gaskets?

I would like and try to CNC cut the factory head gasket out to accept the larger bore. As we do in the Honda car world for our sleeved blocks.
The stock head gasket has the rib around the bore, cnc cut the hole bigger and you will loose that benefit. Wills rings (gas filled rings) is an option but then there is the oil gallery to seal.

Trying to keep the compression ratio respectable becomes a big problem going big bore when the chamber is untouched, you end up with flat/dished pistons or very deep valve pockets which compromises a few things.

#5 ·
Acl gasket company here in brisbane has been known to make special run gaskets . about 15 yrs ago they made me a one off gasket to suit a mazda that I had oversized and moved the bore centres. they even put the correct size bore binders in it. all up it was about 3 times the normal price but then it was a one off hand made unit. If there was a demand for say 10 or 20 sets they would come down considerably.

#6 ·
Personally feel the gains of a plus 3mm overbore vs the plus 2mm are not worth the extra hassles. The plus 2mm overbore is quite straight forward. Pistons are available, dont need sleeves and stock head gaskets will work with a bit of trimming without screwing up the head gasket. More power in cams and adjustable cam gears than the extra mm of bore size.

#7 ·
he's got 103mm..........which is +5mm on standard........:devious
be nice to see some dyno runs .. befor and after...:)

#10 ·
Any interest in Big Bore cylinders for SV's or TL's out there? I know there is a few company's that offer this, but their prices seem a bit high to me.
As you mention price is the main factor. With the economy they way it is there is probably alot of ppl that would like to do this(including myself) but money is tight for just about everyone right now.

#12 ·
So Kendall..... does this mean the bugs have been worked out of your kit??

Do ya have dyno numbers?

The economy is killing most of us... but it will be coming back....right!??

#13 ·
Most of the "bugs" have been financial. Everytime I step to the dyno for a break in or cam change, fueling map or whatever it's a $200.00+ venture at $85 per hour so consequently you can burn through a grand real quick and still not have a number to publish to the public.

I have had to take sometime off and "re-structure" my business and future plans for the big bores. To answer your dyno question I will make a few passes soon and give everyone a basic number to go off of probably with a basic stock set up in the heads cams, valves ect. It won't be a max number but it should give everyone something to go on. K

#14 ·
I will make a few passes soon and give everyone a basic number to go off of probably with a basic stock set up in the heads cams, valves ect. It won't be a max number but it should give everyone something to go on. K
:thumbup

Hurry ;) The dollar is cheap at the moment... :devious

:eatcorn

#15 ·
Yep stock cams/heads with the new pistons... those would be the numbers i'd like to see. Thanks Kendall!

#16 ·
That looks fantastic:clap I wish I were in a position that I could test them:drool

Good luck and please keep up posted on how this goes, in the buggy and bike. Feel free to post a picture of the buggy too:D

#21 ·
I did a 1080 a few months back, thread with figures here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.