TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject field states, I am starting to look for a couple of Off road bikes for me kids, Rhiannon is 11 ( only ever been on the back of a bike ) and Joe is 7 ( had a shout of a small 50cc automatic)
I was think ing of the Yaz YZ but not to sure, any suggestions on which make model of bike to get them, I am hoping to get them a bike each,
Me and the missus are thinking of getting a couple of off roaders aswell, I used to do a lot of enduro when I was younger, and then I moved onto road bikes, but I would like a fun off road bike for when I am out with the kids, me missus is on her first bike ( SV650 ) and has never been of road (except for on holiday - she loved it ) so what would be a good bike for her :O :O
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ally

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
AllyMC said:
As the subject field states, I am starting to look for a couple of Off road bikes for me kids, Rhiannon is 11 ( only ever been on the back of a bike ) and Joe is 7 ( had a shout of a small 50cc automatic)
I was think ing of the Yaz YZ but not to sure, any suggestions on which make model of bike to get them, I am hoping to get them a bike each,
Me and the missus are thinking of getting a couple of off roaders aswell, I used to do a lot of enduro when I was younger, and then I moved onto road bikes, but I would like a fun off road bike for when I am out with the kids, me missus is on her first bike ( SV650 ) and has never been of road (except for on holiday - she loved it ) so what would be a good bike for her :O :O
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ally
My mate has 3/4 125cc pit bikes - they're more than quick enough and you can ride them too :) . One has been tricked out and is a little lightning bolt - too fast for me to ride safely.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
There are two basic routes you can go for the kids bikes, 4-stroke play bikes or two stroke race bikes. The former will have very low end brakes, suspension etc, but very gradual, easy to use power (and not much of it). Two-stroke MX bikes will have much higher quality suspension, brakes etc, make much more power, be lighter weight but a bit more of a handful.

When my family got into riding we went with with older MX bikes (cheep, but still plenty of performance) and that worked out great for my sister and I.

For the 7yo you might be best off starting with a little four stroke. Perhaps a CRF-50 (same basic bike as an XR50 or Z-50) or the yamaha version of the same. Yamaha also makes a PW50 that's really small and easy to ride (auto clutch, single speed trans, shaft drive) but is probably already too small for him (its popular with 4-5yo's).

For the 11yo a KX65 would probably be about perfect. If he's a big big for his age a KX85 would be in order (or any of the other 85cc MX bikes). For a low cost in-between look for an older 80cc MX bike as most were a little smaller than the current 85's physically.

If the 11yo is a really cautious kid, a KLX110 or KLX125 would be good options (or any of the equivlent bikes from other brands - TTR125, DRZ-125 (same as the KLX only yellow) etc).

BTW I started at 11yo on a YZ80:banana

For the Mrs, it really depends on her inseam and riding skill level. My Mrs rides a KX100 and finds it perfect for her as does my sister. The bike is really light (150lbs), makes more power than most anyone needs (25rwhp) and has excelent suspension, brakes etc. Its also super easy to start (unlike most kick start thumpers). The downside is that the engine has to be reved up pretty high to make any real power and when the power does come on it comes on more suddenly than some folks may like. One plus of this is that a timid rider can put around at low rpm and have a very light, mellow bike, then as their skill increases they can start using more revs to get more power.

If the KX100 is a bit small for her a KDX200 is another excelent option. Its a very easy to handle bike that still has lots of performance potential.

On the slow/heavy thumper side, top pics would be a TTR125LE (electric start thumper, physically about the same size as the KX100) and the CRF230 (same as the previous bike, only closer to the size of a KDX200).

Another bike, and possibly the ideal option is a Gasgas pampera. Its somewhere between a KX100 and KDX200 in physical size, weighs 200lbs dry and has a 250cc two stroke trials bike motor. Very slick and especailly suited for chicks or short guys.

Just FYI on the used market, the four stroke play bikes tend to hold their value well, the two stroke race bikes don't so you often will find that the high performance bike will be cheeper than the thumper if your buying used.

Here's a good little write-up on the KX100
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18aug01kawasakikx100.html
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01may03kawasaki2002kx100modified.htm

Pampera
http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/2002-s/pampera-250-specs.html

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
And here's some pics

mom, wife dad and I - mom and wife are both on KX100's

Wife on her KX100

KX next to a full size bike

A random CRF230 pic stolen from the net

TTR-230 (very similar to the honda above)

TTR-125

KLX/DRZ 125

KLX-110 (note this is a really small bike, not much bigger than a CRF-50)

CRF-50

TTR-50 and TTR-250

KDX200

·
Registered
724 Posts
Josh-
What about a KX85 for a kid's bike? On some trails here in NC if you're under 16 you can't be on anything over 90cc.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...damn, I wish we got some of the mini motards I've been looking at here in Japan...the Yamaha TX-250 and the KLS-110 are both the perfect size for my wife:banghead but no USA or Canada comparable model in street trim...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
muguvian said:
Josh-
What about a KX85 for a kid's bike? On some trails here in NC if you're under 16 you can't be on anything over 90cc.
A KX85 would be just dandy. Really good little bikes with huge amounts of performance on tap. Dial the jetting in and you can putt slowly all year without fouling a plug, but still rip when you want to:thumbup

The frame, suspension and body work is the same on the KX85-KX100, only difference is swingarm length, wheel size and cylinder bore (even stroke and porting are the same). KX100 parts all bolt on to KX85's too:devious

These bikes are amazingly good in both power and suspension. Even though I'm way bigger than their inteded rider (I'm 160lbs and 5'10") I can turn very respectable laptimes around a harescramble course on one. On a really tight course I'm actually faster on one. They make more power than you'll ever really need for trails, you just have to learn to keep them reved up, much like riding a 125cc MX bike or 600cc sport bike.

For reference, a KX85 makes more power than a CRF230, but is 90lbs lighter and has better suspension and brakes.

If your rider is much over 130lbs or so he will benifit greatly from re-springing the suspension as the stock stuff are really better suited for a 80-110lbs rider. Overly soft springs will cause the bike to sag too much and it will actually give a rougher ride.

If the rider is on the tall side (say 5'5" or taller) he would probably appreciate taller and farther foward bars. My wife's bike came with a pro-circut tripple clamp and taller renthal bars. The two combined move the bars roughly 2-3" up and foward. Makes the bike much more comfortable for my wife and I (I have her bike and an egronomically stock KX100 at the house for a direct comparison) as it really opens up the riding posistion.

The wheel size doesn't make a huge difference. The bigger wheels give a little more ground clearance, but it doesn't really need it (the KX100 has as much if not more clearnace than my CR250). They do make the bike a bit more stable and help it roll over stuff a little more easily. Also give the rider a bit more room between himself and the ground which can be useful for taller riders when cornering hard or in really deep ruts.

The longer swingarm makes the bike a little more stable, but not a huge difference. Also, I'm not sure if the larger wheels would fit with the shorter swingarm. Serious mini-racers often fit KX100 swingers to their KX85's for a little more high-speed stability. You'd probably never notice the difference with casual trail riding though.

A 12oz flywheel weight is a great addition as well. I normally don't like them on small bore bikes, but the little KX's really benifit from additional flywheel weight. Makes them hook up much better, actually easier to wheelie and accelerate quickly, even for me.

All this to say, a KX85 and KX100 are essentially the same bike:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
bx-459 said:
...damn, I wish we got some of the mini motards I've been looking at here in Japan...the Yamaha TX-250 and the KLS-110 are both the perfect size for my wife:banghead but no USA or Canada comparable model in street trim...
In most states its not too hard to make a dirt bike street legal:devious

BTW do you mean XT250? Isn't that a full size bike? A KLX110 is best suited at a pit bike or a regular bike for someone under 4' tall or so. Its really really small. I know a few chicks with street legal TTR-125LE's.

We get the DR200 which is about the height of a KX80 and street legal. Not a lot of performance, but very easy to ride. My mom has one and loves it. We also get the XT225 which is similar but a bit taller and more performance.

the KLX250S offers yet more height and performance and is available in the US as a factory dual sport.

The gasgas pampera is KX85 sized, street legal (except CA I think) and has a 250-280cc trials bike motor:drool

We got the KE100 up untill two years ago IIRC. Its a really dated design, but really pretty decent to ride from what I hear (I haven't actually ridden one).

have fun

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...problem here is your lisc goes by the engine size and she only has the 0 - 125 lisc right now with no real desire to get a larger lisc... plus you can't park anything larger than 125 cc at the train station parking lots and she depends on the train to get to her job...

Her current ride is a 90 cc scooter so I thought the KLS-110 would give her a bit better motorcycle experience (and the added benifit of a typhoon/might snow day bike for me:devious as I rode my TL in the snow a few times here in Japan when I got caught in it on the way home:banghead)...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm confused, I thought the issue of discontent was that the 110S wasn't available in the States, but if you want if for use in japan, why not buy the Japanese KLS 110?

BTW a TTR125LE might be more fun option, much more motorcycle like than the 110, E-start and still under 125cc's (though only just).

I've ridden the TL in the snow too, it doesn't work all that great:lol

I think I'm picking up a DR250SE in a week or two, should make a great play bike/putt with the wife/snow ride:)

have fun

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
BikePilot said:
I'm confused, I thought the issue of discontent was that the 110S wasn't available in the States, but if you want if for use in japan, why not buy the Japanese KLS 110?

BTW a TTR125LE might be more fun option, much more motorcycle like than the 110, E-start and still under 125cc's (though only just).

I've ridden the TL in the snow too, it doesn't work all that great:lol

I think I'm picking up a DR250SE in a week or two, should make a great play bike/putt with the wife/snow ride:)

have fun
...the 110 - 125's are a popular size due to the lisc requirements here so I'd have to buy it new as I've really never seen any used ones in good shape...if I bought it new, I'd want to be able to get it back to the USA if I had too...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Ahh:thumbup

I'm not terribly up on whats involved with importing bikes here. I do know that you can convert a non-titled dirt bike to be street legal/titled in many states (CO, MI and VT are popular).

good luck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
everyone, thanks for the info, its greatly appreciated :thumbup Bikepilot :hail thanks for that, and thanks for the pics, given a great start at what to look at once again :hail :hail :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meant to add......... we are going out looking this weekend, so as soon as we get them I will post up some piccies of the family on the first family off road ride out :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts