TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
absolutely NOTHING to do with TLs, or even bikes for that matter, but how many golfers do we have here?

before this summer I had golfed very minimally, and frankly I sucked at it. I always topped the ball, and if I did get a good stroke in it never went where I wanted it to. I got frustrated and quite. that was like 2 years ago, maybe 3. Then in May, my buddy bought a set and told me to and we'd take it up, so I did. I went down to Garts Sports and paid less than $200 for a whole set. I picked up right where I started, as horrible as ever. He was getting good, but not me. I was taking divits large enough to plant small trees in, and he was actually hitting the friggin ball. but I stuck with it and after about 2-3 weeks, I started actually hitting some in the air. I was still topping every other hit, but it was slowly starting to get more fun. After a couple training vids I started being able to actually hit the ball in the air more than 50% of the time. slowly but surely I stopped topping hit, and now I rarely top it, it goes straight as can be, and I can actually hit it where I am now! I'm still shooting high 90's on 18 holes, but I'm getting better. I'm actually to the point where my cheapo gear is limiting my play. I borrowed a friends set of Calloway Big Bertha irons and drivers, and holy shit did my game improve. I shot an 87 on that round.

so do we have any other golfers in here?
any good?
what gear do you use?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
i play putt putt...thats it

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hav'nt played much since I moved to Halifax (8years ago) used to play 3 or 4 times a week. Was just starting to get it together shooting mid to high 80's on a regular basis then moved area.

Ryder Cup was good viewing (only because we won it again):)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yah, we dont need to talk about the Ryder Cup...it seems the US doesn't even try

G

·
I golf, not as much as i'd like to though!! Good equipment def. helps just be careful when buying because if you buy real pro style clubs the club sweet spots get smaller.
I have Callawy x-14's and i love them!!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I tried it for a bit...wasn't my thing.

This'll make you sick though. I worked for a golf company for a year and a half. Had free access to the course, balls, carts and even demo equipment. Never took advantage of it.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
im a hack but i like it. i live right next store to a nice course.
they have frisbee golf too.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I play once in awhile. We should go hack it up sometime.

I have a cheapo Adams Ti driver. Normally they cost about $130, I got mine last winter for $20. Mrs. Duke worked for Target on the price change team :devious

Been playing off and on since I was a kid and I am happy to break 100. Sounds like you have more talent than I do.

Golf is frustrating game. Just when you think you kind of "get it" the next ball slices out of bounds. It is a game of muscle memory. I simply don't play enough to develop that.

Just did an insurance adjuster/contractor best ball scrambles tournament at Lone Tree. It is my for sure one golf date a year. A contractor I work with buys me lunch and pays me fee. How can I say no? :laugh

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a deal!

More talent? Ha! that's good. the 87 was just a good day, and i got a bunch of lucky bounces. the last two rounds i've played were 90 and 99. Definitely not PGA by any means, but still fun!

but yah! lets go hack it up sometime. I usually go to Applewood 'cause it's closer, but have played Indian Tree and Mira Vista too. Would love to go play Castle Pines, but thats too much to go hit balls on the wrong fairways :laugh

·
Registered
389 Posts
I started the same way you did....but I was stationed in Hawaii for over 6 years, so I could play year round. I went and bought the 150 dollar Sports authority specials and outgrew them within a year. My best round is a 74, and I was so hungover I still didn't know how I pulled it off.:laugh

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I used to play 2-3 times a week, got a handicap of 13 but once my daughter came along, I gave it up, still play now and then but I will take it up again one day.

We could host our own Zone Ryder Cup :lol

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Used to play much more, roomate out of college was a 6 handicap as was my dad in his younger days. Marriage, house, riding....no time for even a weekly game any more.

Was a member at a local club up until a year ago for at least monthly tourneys. Haven't played in a month...

but whatever, it's all priorities.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I play a little, not as much as I used to. But I do run 2 golf leagues for my company, I worked at a golf course for 3 years, plus I was the Mens Club Champion at age 19...:) Total of 145 for 2 days. Handicap is high now compared to college years, it is around 3.4 for 18. Best round ever was this summer, 65, with 1 bogey on a par 4 (front 31, back 34). My company also was a sponsor for the French Open. (ALSTOM) We build a lot of trains and power equipment throughout the world.

CLubs to help, but please remember this. A $400 club doesnt do sh!t for a .50 cent swing.

If you are topping, normally you are trying to hit it to hard, that and your right elbow is flying out(if you are right handed). Another thing to do is to look at the back of the ball. Also, play it a little further forward in your stance, about off the crest on your shirt. Make sure you see at least 3 of the knuckles on your left hand when gripping the club (if you are right handed). Oh yeah, last thing.

Dont dip, peak, turn in late, turn in early, pull it, push it, chunk it, skull it, toe it, heal it, top it, cut it, think of how much money you spent on the round, clubs, shoes, shirt, shorts, hat, glove, or the 7 balls you lost the last round that cost you $30!!!! Biggest part is to leave your brain in the club house and just hit the ball.

Do that and you will be fine....;-)

But seriously, if you have any questions I am at your disposal. I am not a pro nor claim to be but I hit the ball a long way and score well. Hopefully after I gain enough finance experience I can take over a golf course, then you guys can come play at a cheap rate! PM me here or on my AIM!

Peace ya'll!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I reckon you were topping it because you are a) trying to hit it too hard, and b) looking up too soon to see where the ball goes - ask a buddy to stand behind you and look for you, then keep looking at the tee after you have hit the ball - works like magic ;)

Another common problem when starting to play is over swinging on the back swing - you don't want the club to go past the point where it is parallel with the ground (to start even less is better). Get someone to video you taking a swing, and you will be very surprised how far you are pulling the club back - everyone does it at first, because you go for "the big hit" and it doesn't feel like you are doing it.

Also vary the distance you are standing from the ball and then get a mate to lightly push you forward (toward the ball) - if you lose your balance you are probably too close/far from the ball and/or your legs aren't bent enough. When your mate nudges you, you should feel as if you are planted to that spot, but not rigid/frozen.

As for clubs, the biggest difference that I have found was in the weight and flex of the shafts. When I got a set of graphite shafts I had to learn to slow my swing down, which resulted in me hitting straighter and further. I think I was trying to hit too hard and the shaft was flexing, effectively shortening the distance between my hands and the club face by a very small amount, but enough for me not to connect the ball properly.

These days when I go play a round I take some extra balls with (I don't go looking for lost balls anymore) and I don't keep score - the game has become MUCH more enjoyable.

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
I don't golf at all, don't even own clubs. I do however have a decent collection of golf balls. I pick them up in the yard before I cut the grass weekly, usually 3-5 balls.

My back yard backs up to the 12th hole on a par 5 course.....

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
I don't play, so I don't have an idea of what a "wide" course would be, but the fairway is about 40-50 yards wide. I cannot see the Tee from my yard, in the first pic the Tee is around that bend to the left about 30 yards to the ladies Tee.

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
Just a note, I was standing at the edge of my yard taking those pictures. The cart path runs just behind my property line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts