TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir is shot, and thus far I've been unable to locate a direct replacement. TLZone archives didn't shed much light on this either. Based on the OEM part website diagrams (unless I'm misreading) the reservoir can only be ordered as part of the Clutch Master Assembly. Every part of the reservoir can be ordered separately except reservoir cup itself. Seems a bit off to me :confused

Obviously I don't want to shell out $200 for the entire assembly when all I need is the $5 plastic reservoir, so I wanted to reach out to you all first. Anyone got one lying around? Any direct third-party replacements? And I'm looking at the wrong part diagram?

NOTE: I am aware that there are several used Masters selling on Ebay, but I'm sure we can all agree that replacing a rotted 20 year old plastic reservoir with another (potentially) rotted 20 year old plastic reservoir is not the best option. That move will be one of desperation if and when all else fails.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
jim makes a lovely billet one

Reactions: CrashB

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
personally I would get one of the chinese replacements off ebay or a local one if at a similar price.

BTW, I changed the big chunky one for a smaller neater item - doesn't need to be that big - just make sure you get the correct bore size to fit onto your existing pipework.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jim makes a lovely billet one
I prefer OEM to custom whenever I can help it, but in this case I'm open to a more durable part. This certainly won't be my last crash :(

And it turns out that I was looking at the wrong diagram afterall. Google kept taking me to the 2000 Suzuki TL1000R Clutch Master Cylinder diagram, but going onto the actual website I found the 2000 Suzuki TL1000R Front Master Cylinder diagram. I'd say I feel foolish now, but honestly there's something very wrong with how those parts are labeled and organized. :hmm

In hindsight, I did order a couple of the aftermarket CNC brake reservoirs, which I have no intention of using, so if anyone has a use for them let me know. Cover S&H and they're yours.

IMG_1855.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it is about function then look at some of the newer bikes and see if you can use it. Or try babbits or bike bandit web site. As for a open replacement if you can not find one you may have to get one from a specialty shop.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
SV1000S S1/S2 (K3-K5) clutch master cylinder looks like a direct replacement, which is identical to a Honda part that can be bought individually from Ron Ayers for $23.66: 22887-MBB-006.
Oh the powers of google :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget to report back if it turns out to be a direct replacement, that way it can help others in the future :thumbup
I went with an OEM replacement.

... turns out that I was looking at the wrong diagram afterall. Google kept taking me to the Clutch Master Cylinder diagram, but going onto the actual website I found the Front Master Cylinder diagram. I'd say I feel foolish now, but honestly there's something very wrong with how those parts are labeled and organized. :hmm

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had to update this real quick to correct my previous information. Finally got the part in today and it was the Front Brake Master Reservoir, not the Clutch Master Reservoir. I spoke with an OEM parts rep, and he confirmed that there's no way to purchase a Clutch Master Reservoir separate from the $200 Clutch Master Assembly. Again, this makes absolutely no damn sense to me. It's not like the reservoir is permanently fixed to the master. Only thing holding it in place is an o-ring and a screw :rant

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Purchased a pair of used Masters off eBay, ordered the CBR1000R Reservoir, and emailed Jim regarding the purchase of one of his custom Reservoirs. I think between the three I should be good. I better be good!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Confirmed. The 98-2007 CBR1000RR Clutch Master Reservoir Tank is a direct replacement for the 99-2003 TL1000R Clutch Master Reservoir Tank.

NOTE: CBR1000RR Clutch Reservoir shown is aftermarket, while TLR Reservoir is OEM.

Attachments

Reactions: oszitrek

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The seller of the CBR1000RR Reservoir wants to list the TLR under the product compatibility list, but before I send him all the details I wanted to know if the TLS uses the same reservoir?

·
Registered
248 Posts
TLS's use a cable clutch set up. So no.

Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Josh,

Will you measure the thread pitch, length, and size of the cup screw?? I need one...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Josh,

Will you measure the thread pitch, length, and size of the cup screw?? I need one...
Shoot me your address and I'll send you the one from my OEM reservoir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts