TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've never really been sailing, but ever since I got into sail planes I've been wanting to get into it - its on the list of to-do hobbies/sports:drool

I did have an awsome time with a hobie cat at the beach earlier this year and raced another group of vacationers. There were two things out in the water (markers of some sort), we made laps around them for a half hour. My mom, dad and I managed to pull away just a bit each lap, mostly made time in the turns:devious

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I haven't followed the Cup in a while but used to race out in socal on J-24's, Olson 30's and a variety of boats. I was in San Diego for a regatta back when they were hosting the cup (early 90's). They are very impressive boats up close and move along nicely when there doesn't seem to be much breeze at all. The best part though were the groupies flashing their tits at the crews as they sailed by :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Cats rock - I took the wife out for her first time sailing in a cat in Singapore. Every time she moved near the downwind pontoon I'd haul the sail in & do a 'wheelie' ... she kept thinking her moving was going to capsize the boat :laugh

I'm looking forward to going home to NZ where the kite-boarding scene is so big. And hang gliding ... too many interests :(

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Did you get her out on a trapeze or was it a big cat?

Ever walk on a mast in the middle of a race? I have... it was kinda like this

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Must be Lasers. Cool little boats. I just had a 14 foot old Chrysler daysailer given to me along with the trailer. It's in reasonable shape and should be fun with my 9 yr. old. Now to wait for June :rant :coocoo

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
don't follow the cup but love sailing (day crusiers) catalina22's and the like...had a friend who used to race them and crewed for a few years even won a couple of regatta's...always looking to go ...check out the movie "WIND" good movie about the cup...

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Must be Lasers. Cool little boats. I just had a 14 foot old Chrysler daysailer given to me along with the trailer. It's in reasonable shape and should be fun with my 9 yr. old. Now to wait for June :rant :coocoo
yup laser, sailed mostly full rigs, but in heavy wind could clean house in a radial. i saild el toros, FJ's, and lasers competitively for almost 9 years, most of that time in lasers. i've just recently missed it, and have been eyeing my boat (banshee) wondering how much carbon blades and a mast with mylar sails would cost :devious

-:banana

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
She is a Beneteau 343, which puts LOA at about 36ft.

Our previous was 28ft and this one feels like the Queen Mary in comparison.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Ok, despite the OSU problem I guess you're an alright guy. Sweet boat. :thumbup You must drive a way from Columbus though - Lake Erie?

And Crash, you need to try surfing on a Melges :D

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, despite the OSU problem I guess you're an alright guy. Sweet boat. :thumbup You must drive a way from Columbus though - Lake Erie?

And Crash, you need to try surfing on a Melges :D
i've played around a little on a melges 24. FUN boats, but i'm a dinghy racer at heart. If I had the money i'd love to get a 49er.

-:banana

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
ultimate retirement would be big enough to store the tl and have a way to offload anywhere.....best of both worlds anywhere in the world...SWEET!...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts