TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just joined the site..cool. the last bike i rode back in the 80's was a kawasaki kr 250 tandem twin. The bike itch is still around so i'm back in the market for a bike. I always liked the tl1000s (love the twin sound) but have never ridden one. The tl1000r really looks great and this is the bike i'm considering. I am 6foot2...will the tlr be comfortable? Imust also be able to carry a passenger in reasonable comfort...is this possible?, What's the reliability like and lastly is the tlr very twitchy or is the handling predictable... Hear from you soon:)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Welcome Kr250, I really like the look of the TLR, but as i always take my wife with me,the pillion pegs were too high for her to sit comfertably.We bought a Busa instead.That was 10 years ago, as i always wanted a T since they came out,we have now bought a TLS which we both love and my wife is very happy with the comfort of the seat and pillion position.Also at 5 foot 7, the TLR seemed a bit too tall for me and TLS is more my size.Hope you get a TL, you will enjoy it and insurance is cheaper than most sports bikes.

·
Registered
769 Posts
:bigfinger welcome to the site. your height shouldn't be a problem theres guys on this site of all shapes and sizes :laugh seriously there are some near 7 footers.

as for the handling, lets just say the bike has character :) treat her like a lover (being politically correct)....each one is slightly different different but its great (mostly) finding out :laugh

·
Registered
250 Posts
The TLR is huge, i am 6 foot and have loads of room, always amazes me just how much space ther is to get your arse back to the rear seat cowl.

Chris

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
I'm right at 6'4" and always found the TL comfortable. Well, as comfortable as an old man is going to be on a sport bike anyhow. :laugh It's a big bike with a good bit of room for we height superior folks.

Define "reasonable".:dowhat All the younger folks that I took for a ride liked the idea of riding on the TL, but everyone admitted that if they were going to go any distance at all they'd rather be on the back of my old GS1000. The TL, or any sport bike for that matter, is not particularly suited for hauling a passenger. It even makes the ride a bit harder on the one holding the bars. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but if you're going to ride two up a lot, I'd probably look at something else.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Comfort is a relative thing and relative to other sport bikes the TL is very comfortable, relative to a lazy boy not so much. A few passengers can tolerate riding on the back of a sport bike, but most will be unhappy with trips of any significant length. There's very little leg room, not much to hold onto and the seat is sorta small and flat (The TLR is better here as its got the super fat arse and a wider seat).

I'm not sure of the prudence of choosing a liter sport bike as what will essentially be your first motorcycle. Figure at least a year of regular riding before it'd be wise to haul a passenger around.

No major reliability issues, a few small things that needed attention on the '97 model.

Handing is stable/predictable, particularly at street speeds.

If you want a sorta similar motor with a chassis more suited to comfort and passengers the V-stroms might be worth looking at. Drastically more comfortable than a TL, especially for a passenger. Only major fault is wind buffeting, but supposedly there are things you can do to fix that.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I am about the same height and have no problems with room or comfort. I almost always have the wife as a passenger.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello Kr250 & welcome to one of the best motorcycle forums you will find - there are some like it but only one, true - "Zone". I have a '97 TLS and am 6'2" and have plenty of room on the bike. I have not passengered on many sport bikes so I can't give an outright opinion on that short of suggesting that if you are planning on having a passenger consistently you will be well served to pay strict attention to the TLR and TLS suspention and especially the stock rear dampener on the TLS. Properly maintained and set up for the weight you will be hauling the stock system performs "good enough". Keep a close eye on the fastening hardware on the rear dampener as well as the mounting points for the dampener. Without getting into it here - let me add that there have been several write ups on this subject that provide a better description of the situation.

·
Registered
593 Posts
welcome to the Zone...i am 6'5" and 235 lbs and the TLR is very comfortable to me...as for a passenger, i hardly ever have a passenger but when i had my 17 yr old daughter ride with me it wasnt bad but i prefer to ride solo...as for reliability all vehicles will break down and need a wrench turned...in short no probs with my bike other than the ones i caused myself...as for handling, you can get a good set up with a little work on the suspension...

good luck and hope you get a TL...S or R...great bike for the $$$ imho...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts