TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, well gettin ready to send JIM his yosh box back and wanted to try to get the TLR as tuned as possible. unfortunatly its 8* here and cant get out and test my results, i did however get to ride it once with the +5, +10, +5 and 11 O'clock that was suggested and she seemed really sluggish. i have the joe v airbox mod, no flappers, base plate mod, and slash cut exhaust(chucks_net exhaust). if i were to change the settings to a +5+5+5 at 1030 would that make a difference, she seems to be lacking every RPM just doesnt pull much at all. and if i do change should i zero everything out first then change to my new settins or can i just readjust them? on a side not i may be changing my plugs again, i did em about 2 months ago but ran my bike with slash cuts may have fouled em out so that could cause the power loss im assuming, but any help is greatly appreciated. man thats alot of typing. im done now
thanks
ryan

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
You'll need to try different settings... The 5/10/5 is fairly generic but works for most, just not all. The good thing is that you do not need to zero out the adjustments every time you want to change. Having a +10 then changing to a +5 will not make it +15 (or vise versa).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The "clock" adjustment is very, very sensitive & only gives you a richer or leaner idle circuit map. I personally would avoid going that much on that idle circuit. 11 o'clock is the most I tried with a different set up & it was too much. YMMV

Also taking the bike for a ride in conditions that are similar to what you are used to riding in is critical for making the mapping evaluation. If you don't have access to a dyno with a sniffer tube set up that is. Need to ride the bike under some load - that helps. If the bike is not in a good state of tune before you do the mapping or if it is 50 degrees colder than your usual riding weather doing an evaluation does very little for you.

W

·
0 Posts
yep, i'm with gerhard,

the clock settings must be spot on for the engine to run well, and every engine runs a bit differently...so try out and stick with what feels good :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nope. 12 o'clock is stock, so 10 o'clock is way richer than stock.

Did the person who let you borrow the box include the Yosh settings instructions? On those instructions it says it is a very sensitive adjustment. I would not venture in the 10 o'clock or even the 10:30 range. But that is what I have found on my bike & seems to work on other TL's I have mapped using my Yosh box. But YMMV. From the instructions,
"Each motorcycle reacts differently to adjustments made with the SLOW SPEED ADJ. knob and requires fine-tuning similar to a pilot mixture screw on a carburetor."
If you have ever tuned carbs on a bike you find you have to unscrew the pilot jet screws a certain amount of turns from all the way in as a baseline. Then you adjust them out from that point with the bike running at idle until the bike wants to accelerate without your touching the throttle. That's your stopping point with that carb & you move around to the other carbs & do the same thing. So one carb's pilot screw will be set at a different spot than the carb mounted next to it & if you have an inline 4 you will get each carb with a different pilot screw setting. If you do a maintenance job & clean out the carbs you have to reset the pilot jet adjustment or you will find the bike will probably run a little rough No one size fits all on this stuff. Given your bike's mods I find that finding a setting that will work given other member's advice is really a crap shoot with this idle adjustment map. I recommend staying conservative if you can't test the bike under conditions you will be running the bike at.

Remember this map is just an idle adjustment; how bad was your bike running at idle after you did your mods?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts