TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
:laugh
Hi
Just wondering if anyone out there can help me at all. Im not new to V-twins having owned an Aprillia RSV and for my sins a Buell but have just bought my first TL1000s. The bike I have bought is a W reg import with 9000 miles and a very full service history. She is in pretty good condition but is currently in my utility room in a few very large lumps(much to my other halfs disgust). Can anyone help me wiht the following??

:Do any companys still produce a radiator cover/gaurd
:I have heard of a product called a Tre?? Does this deristrict the revs in certain gears? Are they still availiable and where from
:On a TL1000 would you run a 180 or a 190 rear tyre, everyone tells me something different!!

Im sure that i will have loads more to ask but will try to post some pics as soon as possible if only to show off the gorgeous JMC deep braced swingarm.

Many thanks Joe.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
hi and welcome to the biggest drain of funds to ur bank account lol
also big mistake not buy the TLR but well dun for the RSV.
TRE get one takes the restrictors out of the system
also 180 works best on an sS for wot im told.
Also JMC swingarm ive got a big top brace on my R good to see u've got sumthing
good on ur S lmao.

·
Registered
593 Posts
dont know about the radiator cover guard or the fairing but many members sell parts so you could possibly find what you need right here on the Zone or try ebay...as for the TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator), as i understand it all the bikes that come over to the USA are restricted and the TRE removes this restriction but you will not feel the difference unless the throttle is at half to wide open...very easy mod just a plug and go type thing...

there will be more folks that will respond to your questions with the correct and/or more info if i am mistaken...

welcome to the Zone...congrats on your new bike and good luck finding the parts you need...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know about the paint or rad guard. I prefer the 180 size tire (and I have mine on a 5.5" rim from a gsxr 600), but opinions will be pretty evenly split on that.

TRE stands for Timing Retard Eliminator. The stock TL's retard the ignition timing a bit in the lower gears (note, this applies only to later models, the 1997 model isn't retarded:laugh). I've been away from the UK too long to remember what year a W reg works out to be.

:thumbup on getting an S instead of a lardy :thatsgay TLR ;)

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
:bigfinger Welcome
Everyone is slipping today

My guess is your about to get modded, for asking all the right questions in the wrong place :laugh

First things first TPS and TB sync and all your other basics.
Stick with the 190/50 or 180/55.
Oil cooler covers pop up on Ebay now and then, Haven't seen a rad cover yet.
TRE will help get rid of your low speed stumbles at 3500 rpm. Send a Private message to member "Matt the Hat"
Panels again, ebay then paint your self
JMC swing arm... f*ck it off its crap.. send it up here I'll get rid of it for you :devious

Oh and
:worthless

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Do any companys still produce a radiator cover/gaurd
They are available but why get bent over for a $5 piece of alloy screen available from a Hardware store and 15 minutes work.

Welcome :thumbup

Over 18000 TL's on the site and maybe 10 that colour.

·
Registered
26 Posts
try here also for radiator guards....www.radguard.com.au
If you like pose value go for 190/50 if you like corners go for 190/55 or 180/55 at the end of the day a good tire (more cash) is better than a bad (cheap) one no matter the size IMHO.
TRE good for first 3 or 4 gears then no difference (removes the timing retardation in these gears)...if your running PCs etc its harder to tell...
Paint code and a second hand panel best bet for fairing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome to the Zone :bigfinger (STD welcome)

So you have the all the info now.

The TRE you can get from Matt (nice finish), or if you are good with a soldering iron, build one yourself:

http://wotid.com/tls/content/category/1/27/57/

Oh, and browse around steve's website, great stuff about the TLS

If you still have stock suspension at the rear, you might want to replace it with aftermarket parts (STD suspension aint to gr8), Bitubo being the most economical choice:

http://traxxionstore.com/bituboshocks-suzukitl1000rtl1000s.aspx

Cheerz

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Welcome to the Zone :bigfinger (STD welcome)

So you have the all the info now.

The TRE you can get from Matt (nice finish), or if you are good with a soldering iron, build one yourself:

http://wotid.com/tls/content/category/1/27/57/

Oh, and browse around steve's website, great stuff about the TLS

If you still have stock suspension at the rear, you might want to replace it with aftermarket parts (STD suspension aint to gr8), Bitubo being the most economical choice:

http://traxxionstore.com/bituboshocks-suzukitl1000rtl1000s.aspx

Cheerz
For most economical i might just throw in Hagon for rear suspenders.With a sorted front end the Hagon works just fine be it touring or going nuts on your favourite twisty bits,

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
...Not sure a understand 190mm = 6inch wide rim and 55 = 55% of the width of the tire as profile...as per a number of differnt types of Pirelli Tyres ive run on the TLR, pretty sure ive got this right...pretty sure ive got one on without taking a walk to find out...
190/55 or 190/50,both will work on a TL rim,as will a 180.Some say the 180 or 190/55 offer better turn in.

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
...Not sure a understand 190mm = 6inch wide rim and 55 = 55% of the width of the tire as profile...as per a number of differnt types of Pirelli Tyres ive run on the TLR, pretty sure ive got this right...pretty sure ive got one on without taking a walk to find out...

190 is the tire's section width (widest point outer sidewall to inner sidewall measured when mounted on a specific width wheel). 55 is the tire's aspect ratio meaning in this case the tire sidewall height is 55% of its section width.

·
Registered
26 Posts
190 is the tire's section width (widest point outer sidewall to inner sidewall measured when mounted on a specific width wheel). 55 is the tire's aspect ratio meaning in this case the tire sidewall height is 55% of its section width.

Agree absolutely...i was not clear simply meant 190 fits a 6 inch rim...have run down stairs (i walked back up fat bastard)and am running 190/55 on the back...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
tyres are like women - one size does not fit all :laugh

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
190/55 is the way to go . . . . set tps and tb's . . check the file vault for that one . . . tre's work for some and not others . . they trick your bike into thinking it's in 5th or 6th . . also affects your fueling . . making it run more rich . . . possibly fouling pl e on bike dude : )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts