TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered forever....but I want to give the specifics of my noise, and see if I can get a clear answer as to what I'm looking at. Here are the details of the noise:

1. METALLIC rapping/tapping (but pretty loud) from abt 2k-4k RPM.
2. Seems to be front cylinder only
3. from TOP of cylinder (used stethoscope and it's most clear from the valve cover)
4. Seems most audible when floating (no load)
5. I know these motors "tick".....but this seems to be beyond a "tick". More of a "rap rap rap rap rap rap".....very metallic.....like tapping a metal spoon on a granite counter-top.
6. Noise in time with engine

I could post a link to youtube to listen, but it's so hard for noises to come through on youtube.

Sorry for the "what this noise" thread. It's just bugging the FREAK out of me.:banghead:confused

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
pull the front plug

put a long screwdriver down the hole onto the piston top.

remove the stator side bung and put a socket on the crank.

rock the crank back and forth and see if there is any play in the big end.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Has it been doing it long, ie longer than about 10 mins of riding ?

Anything more than a tick is usually not good, as a minimum pull the front cam cover off and check the exhaust shim buckets for cracks or failure, if the noise is only really above 2k rpm with no load and sounds like the piston hitting the head, then it probably is and likely to be a spun rod bearing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has it been doing it long, ie longer than about 10 mins of riding ?

Anything more than a tick is usually not good, as a minimum pull the front cam cover off and check the exhaust shim buckets for cracks or failure, if the noise is only really above 2k rpm with no load and sounds like the piston hitting the head, then it probably is and likely to be a spun rod bearing
Afraid of that...but been trying to tell myself it's normal and I'm just hearing things that nobody else does (which is common). I have a feeling the PO did something. When I bought the bike, every o-ring on the chain was gone. He must have never oiled it. Just makes me wonder what else he didn't do.

The tapping only happens from about 2,200ish up to 3,900. After that, it quiets down. It's been going on for about (that I recall) 8,000 miles. I've gone on trips, etc....no problems, but the sound is there. Guess I'll have to dig in to it.

I'll also try to post a video with sound....but those generally can't capture what's going on in real life. Thanks!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
If it's done 8000 miles then it's certainly not a spun rod bearing or damaged shim bucket :laugh

More likely worn scissor gears which is normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3k-4k could also be a TB boot as was on my bike...sounded like a chain rattle at 4k. pulled the boots off and cleaned en up...new clamps and now no noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My TL knocks a wee bit, but it's another low mileage one like yours.

As far as i'm aware it's just another noisy Suzuki engine (used to own a Bandit LOL), in this case cause by the scissor gears...

If it don't tick it aint working! :tillis

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Hmm, could be rod noise due to a bad oil pump or loose leaky bearings. The fact is comes and goes with load and speed indicates it's likely to be a rod bearing as their noise changes with load and oil pressure etc.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
its been doing it for several thousand miles so its not a big end

its probably not a valve bucket cos that would have disintegrated too.

so its most likely a shagged scissor gear set on the end of the cam

:doh just realised Sam said this too :banghead :lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
Does anyone actually change those, or do they just leave them? I know some people even take them out, but if they are shagged doesn't that mean they are not working?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Does anyone actually change those, or do they just leave them? I know some people even take them out, but if they are shagged doesn't that mean they are not working?

well....what's the answer? i'm trouble shooting a noise on the top end of the front cylinder too.

thanks maties!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Damn sll of these conversations seem to peter out right when it gets juicy. Mine is doing something very similar buckets are good and i neutered the scissor gears so thats out. I like the screwdriver in the plug hole idear im gunna try that today. But we really gotta work on your guys's follow up skills. Leave a guy hangin would ya.hahaha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts