TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. The headlight project seems to be one of the hottest mod for this winter, so I had to jump on the bandwagon. I gots the pyramid lens and I gots projectors from an acura tl with h7's. I'd like to run hids with 3000k bulbs (to match the color of the bike). My question is: Do I have to do anything to the wiring? I read somewhere about heat affecting the wires. Also, can the bikes recharging system handle the hids? I'm going to run both at low beam all the time. TIA.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
the HIDs take lots of current when they first turn on, but once they're warmed up they only rin at about 35w...they stock bulbs are 55w low beam and 60w high beam...the charging sys will be fine. I dont know about the wiring though :O I'm getting a kit for my low beam and I'm going to try it out

I'm not too far from you...45mins or so. let me know if you need any help with the project :thumbup

yaknow its funny...Rupes did this first (I think) a while back, then TLR_Sheff did this a couple years ago. then I did it last year but with CCFL instead of the LEDs he used. Now its catching on like wildfire!

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I converted one side of my TLS to HID back in 1997, but not as a projector, I just converted the HID bulb to fit where the old halogen bulb used to.

The type 1 HID have the ignitor and power supply in the same box, and you have to run special high-voltage litz wire that's permanently connected to the socket at one end and the power suppy at the other.

The type 2 HID have a very small ignitor near the bulb and the larger box can be almost anywhere and can be connected with relativley normal wire.

The power supply must be in a relativley cool place with some airflow and NOT next to nor direclty above the radiator. I had my first type 1 inside the double-wall faring on my TLS, next to the radiator, and in stop-and-go traffic on hot days the power supply would overheat and shut down.

You'll sometimes see the Phillips type 1 power supplies inside additional finned aluminum boxes...

I also run 3 HID on my BMW touring bike, and I've had one type 1 power suppy failure.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
great info, thanks :thumbup

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
For the wiring, you'll either have to wire the HID straight to the battery with its own switch, or use a relay harness. The relay harness is a fused connector that allows you to connect the HID to the factoy harness/switch and gives you battery power to aid in the ignition of the ballast.

link..

http://www.xenondepot.com/images/VDbuttonRO.gif

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of relay would I have to use and how would I run that with the stock wiring? If I don't use hids, would I still need the relay? Would that still produce enough light? I'm just trying to get more illumination. I don't like the output of the stock headlights - even on high beam. thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What kind of relay would I have to use and how would I run that with the stock wiring? If I don't use hids, would I still need the relay? Would that still produce enough light? I'm just trying to get more illumination. I don't like the output of the stock headlights - even on high beam. thanks again for the info.

It's exactly what was in the link I posted above. It works in conjuction with your stock harness so you get the needed bump of power to ignight the HID using the ignition/factory switch. The factory harness doesn't put out enough power to start.

The only reason I didnt use it is because i wanted the Low beam on all the time.

If you do this mod and want a relay harness, I still have one and I'll send it to you.

Let me know.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
the link just shows a pic of a button that says more info :lol

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
hey beet can you see on a complete set of 3 for me? all H1s and 6000k or 8000k. 2 for my truck and 1 for the bike :devious

he said discounts for multiple kits :O

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
looks like there are gonna be alot of people doing this...i have gotten the projectors mounted and did some final shaping on the lens mold but might add one thing for those who are thinking as did I about adding the CCFL rings...BE CAREFUL with them! Don't ask me how i know...:banghead...:banghead....only good thing is that i found a sight that sells the fan kit for $5.99:banana

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
break 'em did ya? :lol

yea they're rather brittle :banghead broke a set myself unfortunately

how did you hold them to the lights? (or try to)
I originally used hot glue, but it melted. I'm now using strands of copper wire carefully and painstakingly plucked from an old turn signal wire and twisted with my safety wire pliers :lol

1 strand breaks, I found that 2 strands will give ample holding power while at the same time being hardly seen :O

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
thought i would break them using wire and decided to look for something else and i fould some self adhesive clamping brackets small enough to not look to obtrussive...but once you put them on you will not get them off...trust me i know...anyway radioshack sells them i will post a pic or two in the next day or so and also the part number if you want it...best way to use them is to cut down the pad ...then install on CCFL then just peel & stick the nylon is semi transparent

here's where i found the fans for less
http://www.buypcdirect.com/dept.asp?dept_id=19-008-001

·
Registered
600 Posts
hey beet can you see on a complete set of 3 for me? all H1s and 6000k or 8000k. 2 for my truck and 1 for the bike :devious

he said discounts for multiple kits :O
Ask duey he's selling um Bill. Heres his e-mail [email protected] :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts