TLZone Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another day then. This day requires me scanning eBay for a later model thermostat housing now that I have the prescribed pump cover. Nothing coming up yet though. Actually I'll check with Mick Douch he's normally got a bunch of stuff. Do you guys know him? He breaks TLS's ... he's provided me with some great bits over the last few months ... good bloke to deal with too.
Agree re mick very helpful bloke ,some people are pissed off with him because he breaks tl,s but he is helping to keep a lot of us cash strapped OAP,s on the road

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Agree re mick very helpful bloke ,some people are pissed off with him because he breaks tl,s but he is helping to keep a lot of us cash strapped OAP,s on the road
Well to me he's doing me a favour. He's taking machines stripping all the crap and damage off and selling us the good bits. It all comes back into circulation except the stuff that's buggered.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aaaaah free at last .... That's it then! I chucked my job in and have now officially called it a day. Means I have to forego all the good things including a high end car but what the hell never drove it anyway. I put 14,000 miles on my last one in four years. Off to buy a pick up this afternoon and spend the next few months modernising a 1950's house which will get sold on and I'll start the process again. Amazing ... people are queuing up to buy it all ready but as this is now my job they're going to have to wait whilst I add the next level of value and make all the money.

Now the TL will get even more time lavished upon it. Just got to fix the white conn block fault and she's ready for the MOT.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK .... She's all back together and running. Two jobs to do but not urgent. The radiator needs the side tanks painted and the clutch cover still weeps a little. But all told she's getting there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looking good:cool

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I ONLY RODE IT!

Don't tell the Feds ... couldn't resist it. It was sitting there begging to be toyed with. So I did. Only five miles round the back lanes. Oh yeah! Me liking this this thing ... raucous and full of mischief .... the bikes got similar attributes too:).

That's really it's first proper haul in 7 years. Took about a mile for everything to settle down and she rode just fine ... funny suspension n all. No leaks no nothing. Might do it again tomorrow .... cos my weekends are now seven days long :banana:banana:bounce:bounce

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I ONLY RODE IT!

Don't tell the Feds ... couldn't resist it. It was sitting there begging to be toyed with. So I did. Only five miles round the back lanes. Oh yeah! Me liking this this thing ... raucous and full of mischief .... the bikes got similar attributes too:).

That's really it's first proper haul in 7 years. Took about a mile for everything to settle down and she rode just fine ... funny suspension n all. No leaks no nothing. Might do it again tomorrow .... cos my weekends are now seven days long :banana:banana:bounce:bounce
Yeah boy!!!!

Way to go FMJ....

·
Registered
84 Posts
D'ya know what I was really impressed with the reworking of the vehicle taxation process. It brings a great deal of efficiency to the process. For once they've come up with a useful change ... No tax disc required. Tax costs a little less if you go for the six months variety. SORN has been simplified too. Like the fact that it takes a couple of minutes online to get tax sorted. All good! Better if they just scrapped it all together though.
I found that it wuldn't let me apply for six months and kept putting it straight to twelve so I did it by phone....bit odd as it's usualy much better online:-/

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bugger! Took the bike up the road again today quick circuit and then dropped into the gas station to pick up a copy of 'Practical Sportsbike' .... I quite like that mag.

Decided to have a ferkle with the front suspension. Set the spring pre load and rebound damping back to factory. Then went for the compression damping ... left hand screw adjuster is solid ..... bit of penetrating juice and an impact driver but that fecker won't budge. How hard can I hit it?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bugger! Took the bike up the road again today quick circuit and then dropped into the gas station to pick up a copy of 'Practical Sportsbike' .... I think quite like that mag.

Decided to have a ferkle with the front suspension. Set the spring pre load and rebound damping back to factory. Then went for the compression damping ... left hand screw adjuster is solid ..... bit of penetrating juice and an impact driver but that fecker won't budge. How hard can I hit it?
how big the hammer ;)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i bought 3.2 kgs lighter battery for my TLS today

Reactions: Troy and tlh

·
Registered
264 Posts
I looked at the old girl. She still is pretty.
[/URL]

Reactions: Troy

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Whoa this 'not going to work' malarkey is becoming tiresome .... I haven't stopped fiddling. My garage is now cleared and rearranged so that I can get at the bikes more easily. The TLS is now centre stage and accessible from all angles without having to do contortions to get around its stable mates. So now I have to weigh up the merits of getting the spare set of wheels powder coated and fitted so that I can clear a bit more space ... more space .... more opportunity!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Today I welded my TLR front guard.

Here's the damage:

IMG_4776.JPG IMG_4777.JPG IMG_4778.JPG

Now ready for prepping and painting:

IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4799.JPG

Actually the weld in the last photo needed some remedial work - the 3 big whitish sections in the weld show there was not enough penetration - it was 2am when I did this, and the camera batteries died after this pic, before I fixed it...:D

If anyone is interested I can post a thread on how I plastic weld - as a forestry worker, and especially being a tree feller - I learned to plastic weld chainsaw handles and fuel tanks to save (and when I got good, earn) $$. Occasionally when felling heavy leaners, the tree doesn't always do what you want, and in a case of 'run-or-die' the saw gets left to fend for itself:laugh Also if a chain breaks in the wrong place under load it can smash the fuel tank as well.

I carried this over to motorcycles. I have heard some people say that when they try welding with a soldering iron, the repair ends up re-cracking. If you do it right, with a $20 soldering iron the repair should be stronger than the original part, and last indefinately.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts