TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.. as some of you know, I recently got a 2003 TLR. mostly for transportation to and from work, and a little for chasin tail on the weekends. :devious anywho. I very rarely take her over 5K RPM's.. I'm not a real speed demon anymore, but I REALLY enjoy riding, hence why I bought the bike. the question I have is, is it bad for me to not open her up more than 5-6K RPM's other than on rare occasions? :confused :O thanks in advance.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
might be bad for you since you won´t hear it roar the way she is supposed to but bad for the bike no

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to go over 6K once in a while to fire the secondary injectors and keep flow through them. It only runs on the primaries under 6K.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It won't hurt your pocket, either, as you know the TL is a thirsty monster.
But how can you resist? :O

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Yes ,you are definitely doing it wrong.It's the SECOND hole from the back of the neck:fingerlol

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Too low and I'd be worried about knocking out the big ends prematurely as well. But if you dont lug the engine all the time, sure it wil lbe fine.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, nothing wrong with not running it hard very often, but do take care not to lug it badly (i.e. really low rpms and big throttle openings) as that will really hammer the bottom end. Steve's point about revving it up from time to time to fire the secondaries is a wise one as well.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yeah, engines tend to become lazy when they are never used at full blast every now and then. Yes that is a bit hard to overcome at the street.. But at a track or autobahn, driving for a longer period of time with fairly much load for a while.. it'll make the engine feel smoother afterwards.

I think it has to do with the ramedge (bluntly translated from dutch) which is created in the top of the cilinder by the piston rings. With more revs/load there is slightly more stretch in the parts and the piston and rings will go up slightly further in the barrel, hitting the ramedge. But maybe I'm wrong, it could be crap that builds inside the engine too. Burning away if there's enough heat for a longer period of time :)

I agree on the lugging part. Using the same power on higher revs means less stress as far as I know.. Up till a certain point of course. Somewhere I've read that full throttle can actually be good for an engine.. because there's more air to compress which helps slowing the piston down. Hence decreasing load on the crank :dowhat

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Yeah, on old cast-iron truck cylinders you'd have to use a ridge reamer periodically. Otherwise the next time you rev it all the rings break. But TL Nikasil bores don't really have that problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts