TLZone Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The only problem with additional seals is that with the stock setup the seal compresses completely, leaving the pump plate mounted solidly steel-to-steel-to-steel using the steel portion of the seal between the steel flange and steel plate. ...... In theory, the stock seal is more resistant to damage due to tightening because it doesn't bend the steel after it becomes a solid steel sandwich. ...

The additional gasket described in this mod does not interfere with or change the OEM method of mounting the fuel pump plate. The plate directly contacts the steel OEM gasket body, which then directly contacts the steel mounting flange on the bottom of tank. Everything is mounted solidly, steel-to-steel-to-steel. There is no more flexing than what already exists in the OEM design.

The additional gasket merely provides an improved seal between the neoprene lip on the OEM gasket and the sheet metal sealing surface around the fuel pump opening in the tank.

The photos basically tell the story, but if anyone has a question about how to implement this fix, feel free to give me a shout.

.....I discovered a leak now and i want to try this fix.Will it work for me?Thanks
Spyrious, if the surfaces on your fuel tank and pump plate are reasonably clean and straight, I don't see any reason why this fix shouldn't work for you. If you try it, please post your results here.

Just for the record, the fix implemented on the TLR tank described in the outset of this thread is quickly approaching its third year of leak-free service. There have been no drips and no seepage. :bounce

:ytiller

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
most recently I dremeled the groove spotless then laid electrical copper wire in the groove till it was almost full then filled it all with solder till it was just above the flange face.

then i ground it flat with a 4in and some 60 grit

used a rubberised cork gasket . viton would be ideal too

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The additional gasket merely provides an improved seal between the neoprene lip on the OEM gasket and the sheet metal sealing surface around the fuel pump opening in the tank.
Aaaah, now I see. So why not straighten the bent pieces instead? So do you just insert the Viton seal or do you glue it in? I see it doesn't bend up the plate at the screws any further but does it bend ANYTHING like perhaps the sheet metal sealing surfaces?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
most recently I dremeled the groove spotless then laid electrical copper wire in the groove till it was almost full then filled it all with solder till it was just above the flange face.

Groove? :confused

Above the flange face?

Do you have photos Stu?

Are you referring to a TLR tank, or a TLS?

Aaaah, now I see. So why not straighten the bent pieces instead? So do you just insert the Viton seal or do you glue it in? I see it doesn't bend up the plate at the screws any further but does it bend ANYTHING like perhaps the sheet metal sealing surfaces?
I couldn't straighten the warp. My sheet metal skills are not up to that level. I only would have made the warp worse. :banghead
In reference to this photo...

The gasket is merely placed in position. It is not glued in.

The gasket doesn't bend anything. It only fills in the 'gap' (small as it may be) between the lip on the OEM gasket and the sheet metal sealing surface.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok, I am in the process of doing this mod and I am a little confused...
Initially, I put my viton o-ring between the fuel pump plate and the "short" (height wise) side of the gasket. I guess my thinking was that the leak would be coming from the side of the gasket that had the least amount of material to compress.

But after re-reading this post, I see that the Viton gasket goes on the "tall" side of the gasket (the side that fits into the groove on the tank).

My question is this: :confused
Do you trim the viton so that it fits around the OD of the tall side of the gasket?
OR
Does the viton gasket actually get compressed into the groove on the tank by the tall side of the gasket?

I hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

My question is this: :confused
Do you trim the viton so that it fits around the OD of the tall side of the gasket?
OR
Does the viton gasket actually get compressed into the groove on the tank by the tall side of the gasket?

Per your question, option #2 is the correct (intended) method. The Viton gasket fills the gap between the tank and the Neoprene lip on the OEM gasket. It adds to the compression of those materials in an effort to create a better seal.

If you place the OEM gasket on the tank and notice where the OEM lip lies on the tank opening, you'll see that the tank's sealing surface is not in the "groove", but rather the flat surface of the sheet metal immediately at the edge of the fuel pump opening. This is the area the Viton needs to cover. Of course, it can be fitted to locate itself inside the flange to keep it positioned properly. The photo below was my attempt to designate the area covered by the Viton gasket.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
That's what makes this a better 'fix' than many in the past.

Looking at the pics, I notice there are some small marks at the bottom of the bolt holes. This indicates that somehow at some time in the past the bolts bottomed out at least a little, which should not be possible. The design of the solid steel seal is so that the mounting ring doesn't easily get bent up from pulling at the bolt holes. Do the stock bolts have washers (if so were some missing)? Did someone use non-stock bolts? Grind a few thou off the bolt ends to shorten them a bit, so they don't bottom out and bend up the plate any more, or put a thin washer on each bolt.

Someone should really make a tool for straightening the steel ring and reshaping the sheet metal flange edge. A properly shaped steel block inside the tank, and another nearly flat (or slightly exaggerated hill protrusions at the stock tapped hole positions) steel block outside. Bolt the two together to straighten your pump seal area. Oh well, I'd just hold two blocks together and pound the top one LOL.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I spent hours hammering the plate flat and tapping the lip perfect.

then filing it all super flat and all to no avail.

even with the Oring cord fix one was still leaking.

thats when I dremelled the groove and soldered it up. then ground the whole lot flat. the copper wire holds the solder together easier.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Makes perfect sense now. I guess I should have looked where the sealing surface was. I assumed the gasket fit into the groove. I will report back when I am done...Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK, I just realized that this is for the TLR tank, and that the TLR and TLS tanks are different. The TLR has that big flat flange area next to the opening, whereas the TLS does not have this flat area. It ends right after the o-ring groove with a sharp edge. I am going to try using the Viton anyway...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suspect i have a failing fuel pump and ordered one yesterday. I was doing some research on the process and stumbled onto this and it looks like a good, reliable upgrade. And I'm all about some reliable upgrades. I'd safety wire my fuel pump bolts together if they came with the option too. Just cant shake that aircraft mechanic.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As i encountered a small leak again after i did this mod,i would like to add some more info.If you have an aftermarket fuel cap,that has venting problems (as i had with the driven cap,the vent line was kinked) be sure to fix it immediately.Every time after a ride,i was hearing a noise like whistling,by opening the fuel cap,pressure (or vacuum,i'm not sure) was released.I had this problem for some months and a small leak from the fuel pump gasket was formed.After i checked the fuel cap venting and fixed it,the problem cured itself.So be sure to check if the fuel cap venting works as it should.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi guys! You are all mentioning some Viton (R) Rubber 1.5mm thick, correct? We dont get especially Viton material here, but just oil/fuel resistance rubber/resine is available. What do you think about such rubber/resine instead Viton?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
.... here, but just oil/fuel resistance rubber/resine is available. What do you think about such rubber/resine instead Viton?
Viton works well with modern fuels here in the USA, but other materials will also suffice. If the rubber you are referring to works well with the fuels available in your country/area, then it should work fine for this modification.

You can also google the chemical resistance properties of the material you intend to use.

Here is a sample chart.
http://www.mossrubber.com/pdfs/Chem_Res.pdf

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ok, Thanks! How do you find such Viton by tuch? Is it softer than convential rubber on tire tube?

Reactions: Troy

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Hi guys! You are all mentioning some Viton (R) Rubber 1.5mm thick, correct? We dont get especially Viton material here, but just oil/fuel resistance rubber/resine is available. What do you think about such rubber/resine instead Viton?
welcome back,bro!
:)

Reactions: ego

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok, Thanks! How do you find such Viton by tuch? Is it softer than convential rubber on tire tube?
i may be able to help you with that! feel fee to PM me!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts