TLZone Forums banner

Alternative Crankcase Breather Modification

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mountaingoat 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe of use to others, here's what I run on my own engine.

In my view the reed valve pulses which allows oil thrown from the crank/rods to get past it and into the breather chamber and therefore escapes into the airbox far too easy, by sealing the reed valve and making the engine breath via the side covers there is less chance of oil getting carried into the chamber.

I sealed off the reed valve in the crankcase by flattening the limiter plate and enlarged the hole into the breather chamber from the generator side of the engine and drilled a new hole into the clutch side of the engine.

There is also a small 3mm dia hole added to allow the chamber to drain of oil into the clutch side.

I did consider filling the chamber with a pan scrubber too but didn't have enough trust in anything suitable :laugh

I also run an SV1000 front cam cover with the reed valve removed from the pair valve. The radiator mount is handed differently so you need to move the rad mount.

See less See more
Reactions: Troy and shaun2007
#4 ·
If you can message me an email address I will try and find the photo's and send them to you.

#5 ·
I realise that my option was done because i was skint at the time and wanted to prevent further leaks when I replaced the clutch clover for a later models, but it did seem to work. This photo was taken when I'd first done it and was trialing it, soon after when i knew it was working, i extended the flexible pipe and it ran behind the right side rear panel. From the top of the catch-can ran one pipe which i tapped into the air-box and the other to a small "K+N" type filter in the tail. 2 years later, there wasn't really any oil in the air-box or oil in the filter. I had no trouble with leaking so either I got lucky, or it worked?

(I'm not a clever bastard either, but can usually bodge quite well!) Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Motorcycle accessories
Red Auto part Fuel line Pipe Automotive exterior
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Brake

final pic, later with breather pipe going behind frame rail and out of site.

#6 ·
(Sam, I would genuinely be interested on your thoughts on the breather I rigged up and the pros and cons of what I did. I know it isn't particularly scientific but it did seem to work. Was this just luck combined with the better clutch cover, or is it a valid, if less effective alternative, if you're on a budget?) cheers. pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.