TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JoeV airbox mod I'm going to install in the '98. But the foam mold that goes over the intake holes is shot, broken and not as new.

Does anyone have a solution to refurbish the foam? My intent is to use regular weather stripping type foam. But, I was wondering if the rubbery auto type used around window edges would be better? However, it my not last long because I'm thinking the heat from the engine will dry it out , get brittle and crack?

:cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
I used the rubbery weatherstripping from a hardware store and not the foamy kind. Go with one of the narrower ones so it'll follow the curves a little easier. It'll actually do those turns surprisingly well with no wrinkles or creases if you don't get too rough with it and don't pull as you apply it. Came out great!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I've got a whole airbox you can have ... if you can get a box off Phil for me and send it down :D

You can order that foam from Red Baron ... I have one downstairs. It's denser than window foam and when I replaced mine, I went looking around for something similar in the hardware stores - nothing of the same density and nothing that didn't look like it'd burst into flames.

I think they're about Y800 a strip ...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sanwado sells some dense foam automotive weatherstripping stuff that I used on mine. It's still holding up perfectly after 6 or 7 years of use. I pull my airbox at least 2-3 times a year, usually more.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You can order that foam from Red Baron ... I have one downstairs. It's denser than window foam and when I replaced mine, I went looking around for something similar in the hardware stores - nothing of the same density and nothing that didn't look like it'd burst into flames.

Thanks for reminding me of Red Baron, that brings back memories!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a whole airbox you can have ... if you can get a box off Phil for me and send it down :D

:thumbup Thanks for the tip!

Deal! I could use a spare airbox to hack up. Send me a PM with the details and I'll try and get a hold of Phil. I was suppose to go watch him do an endurance race today in Yamanashi, but decided I didn't want to be cold and wet at the same time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've never heard of D2 or Cainz. Are you in Japan?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I thought there were Sanwados everywhere. In Misawa, that's where I went for hardware and automotive stuff. It's like a home/garden type of store. Like Sundays, but with a larger automotive section.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
..that sounds like Cainz...with green background and white logo. They are home garden/auto stuff as well. I'll have a look around local b4 I check the net.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.